Innovative Marine Aquariums

Awesome new macro, need ID please

ll_maynard_ll

ll_maynard_ll

IMG_20130710_215104_326.jpg

Just got this great looking macro in today off of eBay but I have no idea what it is. It doesn't look anything like the photos of the one posted for sale but I am thrilled at the color and beauty of it. If anyone knows what it is please do tell and also share any experiences y'all have of keeping this new favorite of mine alive and well.

ll_maynard_ll

Well after some more research my newest macro appears to be eucheuma and since reading some of the more experienced reefers on this site attempts to keep this species I am now less than hopeful that I will be successful. Its a darn shame cause its current bright orange color really added to my tank.

ll_maynard_ll

Well in four days this macro turned from orange to a light pink to almost clear. Since it was apparently withering away I cut it down to a couple little stumps in hopes that it will recover. I had it directly under the lights but still no help. All the rest of my macros are doing well and growing, some faster than others. I'll keeps y'all posted.

Don Quixote

FWIW I have some Spinnosum in a bucket outside and its 90+. Its filling out the bottom nicely. Not sure if that is spinnosum, I've only ever had it in a pink coloration. Looks a bit like Porteria.

ll_maynard_ll

Well whatever it is or was, it still isn't looking good. It hasn't gotten any worse in the past couple of days so maybe one day it will return to its former glory, it sure did look nice for a day!

Don Quixote

Well whatever it is or was, it still isn't looking good. It hasn't gotten any worse in the past couple of days so maybe one day it will return to its former glory, it sure did look nice for a day!

I also have some large colonies in two tanks. I'll be selling some soon, I can keep you in mind if you like.

Regards,

The Don

ll_maynard_ll

I removed the last bits of this once nice macro earlier today, both little stumps had become clear and shrinking down to nothing. Whatever it was just wouldn't live in my tank at this time I guess. I have about six other macros that are doing well and some gracilaria hayi that is booming so I have no idea what was missing. Guess its just time to let the rest of them grow and mature and try some others at a later date. I need some decent green macros as mine are almost all red, if y'all have any suggestions on any nice looking, non invasive ones let me know. I'd even be will to try a caulerpa variety if there is one that with regular pruning will look good and not take over.

I love caulerpa prolifera and star grass for green macros.

This caulerpa prefers the sand bed so less invasive on rocks and rarely goes asexual.

I removed the last bits of this once nice macro earlier today, both little stumps had become clear and shrinking down to nothing. Whatever it was just wouldn't live in my tank at this time I guess. I have about six other macros that are doing well and some gracilaria hayi that is booming so I have no idea what was missing. Guess its just time to let the rest of them grow and mature and try some others at a later date. I need some decent green macros as mine are almost all red, if y'all have any suggestions on any nice looking, non invasive ones let me know. I'd even be will to try a caulerpa variety if there is one that with regular pruning will look good and not take over.

ll_maynard_ll

I've got some star grass, got it about two weeks ago. It came in pretty rough shape, a few of the sprouts survived and I already have 3 new ones forming which is good. I'll have to try out the C. Prolifera someday. Right now I promised my wife all ordering was done for a while, maybe I could sneak one by her though. Thanks for help.

Archived