JoeDigiorgio

JoeDigiorgio

Alright alright alright!!!

SPS one month growth shots to start:

post-75338-0-34315200-1376100316_thumb.jpg

post-75338-0-76060700-1376100324_thumb.jpg

post-75338-0-80094900-1376100333_thumb.jpg

For some reason it won't let me upload any more pictures :(

And no...no more grammas :( they all got wiped out in a few days but the gobies were so I phased by it all that they spawned during the outbreak LOL I'll keep trying to post pics of the larvae.

• 3 months later...
Everybody says that! My theory is that when you add say 3 of a species to a tank, you get a pair and a loner. And as a result, there is a lack of actual hierarchy and instead you get a dominant pair and a subordinate individual that gets double teamed all day. Now scale that up in number of fish related to space and you get several fish in a relatively large tank and each fish thinks he's king of his own little castle and again you get constant battles for turf. This is the unfortunate situation many run into with clown fish. There is just enough room that everybody has a reason to fight.

Now my approach to 'harem style' fish keeping is this:

I play on the natural instinct NOT to fight. Fighting is not only dangerous, but its a waste of energy. In the wild you don't know when your next meal is. In the wild, fish avoid confrontation at all costs. This is true of any species of any animal actually. In the wild even a small injury may reduce your ability to feed or breed.

Now this brings me to my husbandry. I don't want to write a book here but in essence, my fish are all 'over fed' by the standards of many and 'overcrowded' by those same standards. I'm not one to follow conventional wisdom but I am one to learn from the mistakes and successes of others.

What I've found is that there is actually a fine line between crowded and grouped. I take away variables like hunger and open space to reduce violence and what I get is a group of fish that gets along great and forms an actual functioning hierarchy as opposed to constantly battling for space, food or dominance. Those grammas were a great example of that until they came down with ick (and don't even try telling me that ick just magically appears because fish are stressed even though they're completely colorful, active and eating). I've also kept cherub angels this way very successfully.

It's all a balancing act between space, food and water quality. I can go on for hours and literally will write a husbandry book one day but ill end with this: If you're afraid to do water changes you need to get out of this hobby lol

Hey it works with certain freshwater fish so why not?

I feel terrible about not keeping up with this thread. I'm still unable to post pictures for whatever reason but I've got tons of them. Unfortunately I only have bed news right now. I left for a few days to go to Puerto Rico last week and came back to a broken AC unit and a bunch of dead/dying fish most of which I'd had for a very long time, my pair of mandarins included. I'm currently in the rebuilding phase and taking it as an opportunity to make changes that would have been more difficult with fully stocked systems.

It's such a shame, I left two tanks full of happy reproducing fish...a male pipefish holding about 50 eggs, mandarins spawning nightly...now I do not have a single complete pair of anything left. Taking pictures as I go. One of these days I'll get around to contacting web support for this forum.

Ohhhhhh... That sucks. I have a fear that our heat/electricity will go out and it's getting in the 20's at night now.

About your pics, are you trying to upload directly to NR? If so that's the problem. Forums aren't designed to host and have very limited space per person. You'll have to upload somewhere else like Photobucket, Image shack, Imgur, Flickr or even use Facebook. Then link it here using the tags. It'll look something like http://blahblahblahdotjpg[/.img] without the period inside the code.

Yea I always go through photobucket but it stops me before I even select an image. It literally has the button you'd normally click to attach a picture, then word-for-word the following:

"you can upload to UPLOADING IS NOT ALLOWED of files (Max. single file size: 10MB)"

Not being able to post pictures has really held me back from keeping up with this thread.

Yea I always go through photobucket but it stops me before I even select an image. It literally has the button you'd normally click to attach a picture, then word-for-word the following:

"you can upload to UPLOADING IS NOT ALLOWED of files (Max. single file size: 10MB)"

Not being able to post pictures has really held me back from keeping up with this thread.

I'd switch services then. I used photobucket for years (almost a decade) and then they just decided to lock me out of my account for no reason. I have years and years of photos on there I can no longer retrieve. I used Imgur for a bit until I found out they hide some of your pics unless you subscribe, now I use Flickr.

That quote I posted above is from this website not photobucket. It won't even allow me past that point to get to photobucket or whatever other hosting service I could use.

How are you trying to upload? Using some of the buttons above the reply box? I never use those, I manually input all the code. It's just [/.img] without the period. Either that or just copy/paste the BB code from whatever service I've uploaded to.

Doing it that way isn't uploading anything to this site, it's just hotlinking from another.

Not the image code, that would be including the img tags already, just the hyperlink for the image.

This goes inside the code http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5485/10809187655_d3ef4d2c81_b.jpg

And becomes this

10809187655_d3ef4d2c81_b.jpg
I wish this forum functioned like some others do, all you'd have to do is quote me and look at the text inside the quote to see the code. Instead this forum puts the image right inside the quote. :(

I think I get it. I'm going to go write a class presentation that's due at midnight and start uploading all my pics to photobucket tonight. Hopefully this time tomorrow I'll have a lot to add lol

• 6 months later...
FlowerMama

I had the similar issue about not being able to post picks, changed to Google Chrome and then somehow it worked.

Archived