Pod Your Reef

RNMB Cardiff Tank - ReBorn with "The Other Water"

RnMB1988

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, so I need a little advise. My Rising Sun Cycloseris is acting weird, its mouth is WIDE open and has been for several days. I have not seen this before and I am moderately worried. I have checked all my water parameters and all are spot on, PH is 8.4, zero ammonia, no2 and no3, salinity is 1.025. I do a 5 to 8 gallon water change every week on a 24 gallon tank, and I make sure the temp is the same as well as salinity, I use RO water and mix my salt from 4 to 8 hours before it is used. I fed it about 3 weeks ago, a small dried shrimp that I let re hydrate for about 30 min before I fed it, I placed the shrimp in its tentacles and watched as it moved it up into its mouth. It expelled the shrimp abut a week later (I am guessing here, but I did watch it as it puked out the remains.

Any one have any words of wisdom???

D33DC443-FD1D-462D-AAB9-ACAF0622B621-104

I did some research on this and found that while there were other people with problems with there fungi plates, no one had the same thing I do. What I did gather that doing an iodine dip along with a large water change, coupled with moving the coral to a lower flow and less lighted prat of the tanks was the most recommended fix, and that had a the most successful recoveries.

So I have completed a 10 gallon water change, did a 10 min dip with Kent's lugols solution, and moved the coral to a lower flow less lighted part of the tank, I also tried to flush out the crap I could see inside the plate with a small pipe tube I have and was successful in getting a lot of the "crap" out if it.....we will see....

• 1 month later...

Tank update.

I moved the plate to my frag tank put it in the back corner where it continued to pass away. I thought it was throwing babies the other day but it was just the sat of the flesh leaving the body.

On the flip side, I made a video of the tank! It shows a much better picture if the tank than just a picture does. I tried to keep it short so no one is too bored with it, and I was not able to overlay some good sound on it so turn your speakers ..... DOWN! Its just over 4 minutes, I hope you enjoy my set up.

Looking good over there! Everything seems to be growing well for you and looking crazy healthy, especially the z/ps. My favorite part of the Vid was the last 15 seconds showing the top half. All the movement from the Xenia and GSP. That nem and clown :wub: You should make a quick video of a closeup of the clown and bubble :D

Looking good over there! Everything seems to be growing well for you and looking crazy healthy, especially the z/ps. My favorite part of the Vid was the last 15 seconds showing the top half. All the movement from the Xenia and GSP. That nem and clown :wub: You should make a quick video of a closeup of the clown and bubble :D

Thanks Zia, I will make some more, shorter videos to highlight one or two pieces on each video.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, beautiful tank. Thanks for posting in the FTS thread, that's how I find the best tanks. :) Great info in here, I especially like the water station setup. I bought wheels for my 32G Brute and I wheel it in the "dog room" to fill and back into the unfinished part of our basement to store. I would really like a bigger can but it would not fit through the doors. :)

Wow, beautiful tank. Thanks for posting in the FTS thread, that's how I find the best tanks. :) Great info in here, I especially like the water station setup. I bought wheels for my 32G Brute and I wheel it in the "dog room" to fill and back into the unfinished part of our basement to store. I would really like a bigger can but it would not fit through the doors. :)

Thanks for stopping in!! I know what you mean about the size of the water cans.... that is why I spent the $35 on the 100 foot roll of 3/8 ID hose, and a pump. Now I just pump the water from the start ion to the tank......work smarter, not harder.... B) !!

OMG, :eek: you have some AMAZING things going on in your tanks too!!!! :bowdown:omgomgomg

Its been 4 days and look what happened in here......

I like this new scape MUCH better, I sure wish I had all this knowledge before I started this adventure!! It would have saved me a lot of ass chewings from my wife to "get my hands out of the tank!" :huh:

Love Ya Babe......I really do!

GOPR0078_zps0c0b5c97.jpg

GOPR0079_zpsd880d76d.jpg

GOPR0081_zps67540c73.jpg

GOPR0082_zps4d9153b6.jpg

GOPR0083_zps596405d9.jpg

If you look close you might se some new corals in there.....an Acan and a Gorg

Whew......that was a lot of work!!!

Nice shots

Thank you for stopping in!!

Looks better, I agree. :)

There is yet another change coming......which means ........yup. MORE PiCS!! :-)

After spending Friday afternoon helping Ziareefer set up his new tank, I realized that I don't have any support equipment shots. So here is a quick peak of my water processing station.

I use a 35 gallon Rubbermaid round trash can with an old household R.O. water filter I got for $10. The reason you need to use a round trash can, I found out the hard way, is that if you try and use any other shape, the water from the pressure it produces, will over time make any other shape round. I had a very expensive (like 100 buck) square 60 gallon for my 125 tank, and it lasted about a year before the water caused a split to happen on one of the corners.

With the used R.O. filter I put two new carbon pre and post filters in it along with a new membrane. I ditched the storage tanks and taped into an existing waterline for the house that has softened water. The water here is loaded with dissolved minerals, and is very hard, that is why I went to the softened water source.

The water barrel is has an overflow to the wast water line of the water softener so if I ever forget to turn the water off, it wont flood the garage (yes I learned that the hard way too). I have a dedicated pump and heater for the water barrel so all I do is make the amount of water I want, mix my salt, then I use a 50 foot section of clear 1/2" hose (I got the entire 100' reel from Lowes for like $40) and pump my water to my aquarium. No carrying water for this guy. When I had my 125 gallon fresh water tank I was doing 60 gallons twice a week (Discus) so I got very tired of carring water real fast and thought this up.

I hope maybe this will help someone out there if you were thinking of making a water processing station.

So, here are the pics.

http://s1317.photobucket.com/user/rcgliderguy/media/Saltwater%20Aquarium/DSC00602_zpsf107684c.jpg.html'>DSC00602_zpsf107684c.jpg

http://s1317.photobucket.com/user/rcgliderguy/media/Saltwater%20Aquarium/DSC00605_zps4adf3de2.jpg.html'>DSC00605_zps4adf3de2.jpg

I need to do that.

Its been a busy two weeks of vacation, I have worked on both tanks, for this one, my MDT a new rock scape. I have been wanting to do this for a while, there was just so much I have learned looking at everyone's tanks, and talking with Ziareefer has not hurt either. I spent 3 hours in one of the LFS just playing with rocks...LOL. They were amused, I was focused. I finally found the two perfect pieces and got them installed......which means......MORE PICTURES!!!!!

From left to right.

DSC00852_zps5f45bc5c.jpg

DSC00848_zpsee6947d3.jpg

DSC00849_zpscb68d669.jpg

DSC00850_zps3dabdfb9.jpg

From Inside the tank!

G0010591_zps6d96fd5f.jpg

G0010699_zps450b1163.jpg

I really like the new scape and the addition of some Acan's didn't hurt either! I might have to find a new place for those green Acan's, it looks like the perfect place for a clam!

I had a great visit with Ziareefer yesterday, we talked for 3 hours and exchanged a few pieces of coral. It is sooooo cool to have a friend nearby to discuss tanks, life, coral, fish.....stuff!

Zia, Thank you!!!

I cannot say that enough, you have been a very positive influence in my short time reef keeping.

Here are some pics that you asked for, and few you didn't!

This is the orange fungi plate I had, it has been dead for several months. These are the little buds that I think are turning into babies, on at least two of them you can see what appears to be a mouth in the center....I hope!

DSC00860_zpsfd609c1f.jpg

Turned 45 degrees to the right

DSC00861_zpsf7e3ee83.jpg

Back in Sept 11th 2013 I posted pics of a few pieces of Zoa I got from Tenor.

The Tyree Spce monster was 4 polyps, here it is now.

DSC00868_zps2c3d912a.jpg

DSC00879_zps0c1d0a0d.jpg

DSC00872_zps840d1818.jpg

The Mandarin Orange was 5 polyps, I have removed the original 5 and have them in the frag tank, here is the 7 to 10 new polyps.

DSC00880_zpse32dd912.jpg

DSC00889_zps2b6e2151.jpg

Here are a few random shots. there are some familiar faces if you look close!

DSC00876_zps19cf86d7.jpg

DSC00882_zps450da03f.jpg

DSC00885_zps956c2136.jpg

DSC00886_zps70b2b890.jpg

DSC00887_zps7af5b1bf.jpg

And a few from inside the tank!

G0020450_zpsc5fda779.jpg

G0020461_zps778ddd24.jpg

G0030519_zps429c643b.jpg

G0030599_zpsc4831d8b.jpg

Thanks again Zia! You Rock!! omgomgomg:happydance::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Thanks bro! I had a equally enjoyable time.Always love shootin the sh!t with you. Give my apologizes to the wifey for keeping you so long. Thanks for the bad ass paly. Ive wanted that one for ever! The growth your getting over there is truly off the charts and not normal success for a newbie to the saltwater game. But all your husbandry skillz in the freshwater world are really shinny through here. Either way, kudos. Your Cardiff is really colorful and healthy and feeling out nicely. WELCOME to the stick world my friend! The new Birdnest and the other acro look great in there. With your green thumb , im sure you'll have great success with SPS to.

Hard to tell for sure, but it does look like baby plates forming on that fungia omgomgomg Glad you researched and didn't just chunk it when it died on you. It died long ago and there wouldn't be any other flesh left from the original piece. So it must be new babies. Have to wait and see how they further develop to be sure. BTW, that wasent a regular orange plate. It was what they call a Sunset colored plate. Bright orange with yellowish tentacles. So much better than just a plane orange. If that thing starts spitting out babys Holy :bling: Cha ChIng

What is this.........

DSC00894_zps59a4c116.jpg

MORE STUFF!!!!!!!

DSC00895_zps8f7dffdd.jpg

saltwaterfishorder_zps9f60a4a2.jpg

Adopted Mystery coral = Tree Leather......FREEKING HUGE !!! :o

DSC00898_zpsfdfdf8e1.jpg

Red Sponge

DSC00902_zps2f077cc6.jpg

DSC00903_zps63311b59.jpg

Grubes Gorgonion...a little out of focus

DSC00900_zps5946159b.jpg

New Tank scape shots....R to L

DSC00901_zpsf350f9fb.jpg

DSC00904_zps5c8189f1.jpg

DSC00905_zpsdbab2c46.jpg

DSC00905_zpsdbab2c46.jpg

Now I'm of to Ruidoso to have a few drinks with Zia, on Friday night and spend some time with the woman I love on Saturday night....ALONE...... :wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:

• 4 weeks later...

New FTS !! I got a better camera with a filter, whatdaya think???

GOPR0048_zpsbf597211.jpg

Nice tank!

Do you have any macro shots of the gonipora frag that's next to the GSP in this picture? I'd like a closer look :D

Also, do you still have that red colony that was on your sandbed?

Nice tank!

Do you have any macro shots of the gonipora frag that's next to the GSP in this picture? I'd like a closer look :D

Also, do you still have that red colony that was on your sandbed?

Hi,

Thanks for stopping in, and thanks for the complement!

I do still have the Gornipora, unfortunatly I don't have a very good close up camera. The Go Pro does great for full tank shots but it does not have a zoom and my P&S camera sucks......

The red colony...I spume you are referring to the red Zoas I have on a V shaped dead coral frag....yup still have them also.

I wish I would have seen your post a day ago, I have to go to Phoenix for 5 weeks starting in the am.....hang in there, I will get you some shots when I get back!!

• 1 month later...

Thanks Dixie!!

I have been away for the last six weeks and the growth in the tanks is just amazing!!! I will get some new pics up soon!!

• 2 weeks later...

As Promised...New Pics!!! :D

G0081547_zps77cca7e6.jpg

G0081538_zps13a8905c.jpg

G0081529_zps13d2c67d.jpg

G0081526_zpsdf1698b9.jpg

G0081518_zpsf7ef59ed.jpg

G0071291_zps746f3436.jpg

G0071200_zpsab58cb7c.jpg

G0061110_zps9873816a.jpg

G0061090_zpsdb25a1a5.jpg

G0061075_zpsafab5b7e.jpg