ReefCleaners.org

Cuc/ shrimp for a 5 gallon?

zacheyp

seahorsedreams

I don't even think you'll hear it. No, it's not constant at all. I have a bigger one and I never heard him for months, then I recently heard a couple of snaps a couple of days ago. It was a sound that didn't even register and I have bionic ears. It drives me and everyone around me crazy.

I don't even think you'll hear it. No, it's not constant at all. I have a bigger one and I never heard him for months, then I recently heard a couple of snaps a couple of days ago. It was a sound that didn't even register and I have bionic ears. It drives me and everyone around me crazy.

this is awesome
Islandoftiki

exactly how loud are these guys?

My tiger pistol isn't terribly loud, and he doesn't snap unless something is hassling him. Since I sold off my cleaner shrimp, I only hear him about twice a week.

My alpheus (heterochaelis?) hitchhiker pistol shrimp is another story, he would drive me nuts if he weren't in the basement. He doesn't have a goby, so he snaps all the time and it's about three times louder than my tiger pistol even though they're the same size.

So I'm definitely Leaning toward a goby shrimp pair what goby do you think I should get also is it safe to assume that I would have no more room for a clown Goby

Thx

AFellowReefer

A yasha goby and randalli pistol shrimp. Both remain small. And no, you could not put a clown goby with the others in a five gal.

I'm all on board for this, just worried about noise lol. Also is a yasha the only goby that could work or would a ywg or an orange prawn be possible?

Rollermonkey

You know those little paper snap things? The tiny paper twists with a speck of gunpowder that pop when you throw them on the sidewalk?

Those are way, way louder than a pistol shrimp, but the sound is similar. Most will tend to snap at night, or if they are being harassed. In a tank that small, harassment ought to be nil, and if it's paired up, it will be even less noisy.

Unless you work in a library or church it should be fine. And if it pops occasionally, it should only serve to make people interested, rather than distracted by the noise. Even when my brittle star disturbs my pistol, after two or three pops (in maybe a minute or so) it backs off and leaves it alone again, and the shrimp stops popping.

AFellowReefer

I'm all on board for this, just worried about noise lol. Also is a yasha the only goby that could work or would a ywg or an orange prawn be possible?

A yellow watchman or Randall's watchman both become too large for 5g, so no, neither would fit in a 5 gallon.

A yellow watchman or Randall's watchman both become too large for 5g, so no, neither would fit in a 5 gallon.

are there any other than a yasha that could work

AFellowReefer

Look at the genus Stonogobiops, they all generally remain small.

Some options include- tangaroa (not the Stonogobiops genus, but remains small,) hi fin red banded goby, or diagonal bar watchman goby. I'm a fan of the tangaroa myself, but its your decision.

I've decided on the hi fin. All in all i'm really excited for this. Gonna be a really cool pairing for a small tank

I've decided on the hi fin. All in all i'm really excited for this. Gonna be a really cool pairing for a small tank

others agree lol?

Archived