Pod Your Reef

Cuc/ shrimp for a 5 gallon?

zacheyp

Hey guys,

So I just ordered my 5 gallon aquarium which will be a desktop softies reef, I'm very excited for this tank. I just had a few questions about inverts for this tank. My only fish will be a yellow clown goby or a red spotted goby, and I really want to keep a red banded snapping shrimp. I know that neither of these gobies will pair with the shrimp, but wanted to know if the shrimp will try to eat them. If that shrimp wouldn't are there any that would? Also i need a cuc for this tank. In your opinion what would be a good reef safe and goby safe cuc for this tank? Thanks

AFellowReefer

They are not considered dangerous, however nothing is 100%. They get a maximum of two inches (and usually remain smaller) so I would not be worried.

Why not just get a goby that will pair up?

I don't want a shrimp goby. Too big for a 5 gal. Want the shrimp though

Rollermonkey

You could probably pull off a Wheeler's Shrimp or an Orange Stripe Prawn goby in a 5G with a red banded snapping shrimp, IIRC.

No other fish, of course, and stay on top of water changes.

You could probably pull off a Wheeler's Shrimp or an Orange Stripe Prawn goby in a 5G with a red banded snapping shrimp, IIRC.

No other fish, of course, and stay on top of water changes.

I'm not even sure if thats what i want tbh. 1 really small goby would be ideal

Rollermonkey

OK, well if you ever want to see the pistol, and not just hear it, it's your best bet.

I hear mine every day, but really only ever saw it while my Dracula goby was alive. Not even during the tank move!

seahorsedreams

Have you ever seen the yasha goby and shrimp? Very tiny. I would love to have a place to put them.

Have you ever seen the yasha goby and shrimp? Very tiny. I would love to have a place to put them.

hmm about how small are they? Also how loud will this shrimp be becuase this is an office tank and i dont want it to be noisy

seahorsedreams

They are comparable to the clown goby. The shrimp doesn't make a sound. Watch some videos on youtube. Scientific name is Stonogobiops yasha.

llama roadkill

I like Clown Gobies (Gobiodon sp.) and the Red Head Goby (Elacatinus puncticulatus) for small tanks. Both stay under 2".

Arkayology

IMO a yasha and pistol shrimp would be great in a tank that size. The yasha will just sit by it's burrow, so swimming room is not a factor.

Islandoftiki

Honestly, with good husbandry practices and weekly water changes, I think a goby/pistol pair would be much better than an independent goby and shrimp. Reason being is that once a goby pairs with a pistol, it no longer swims around and doesn't need a lot of space. It will guard the entrance to the den and the pistol will actually come out into the open because it feels safe with the goby on the lookout.

I have a pistol shrimp (without a goby) in my pest crab tank and while I can hear him, I might see him twice a month at best.

Remember, shrimp are really low bioload. Especially the pistol that will eat any uneaten food that it finds in the sand bed. He will also keep the sand bed turned, so detritus buildup with be almost none.

Lastly, it's amazing fun to watch them work together. They're obviously happier being paired than they would be otherwise.

seahorsedreams

These tiny ones that go with the yasha and like friends are pretty quite. Not loud at all.

These tiny ones that go with the yasha and like friends are pretty quite. Not loud at all.
very good lol. Can't be that loud. Is the noise constant?

Archived