SaltCritters.com

HOLY geez 10K Clownfish :o

Zia

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The parent doesn't look like any goldfish I ever saw....

lightning-maroon-clownfish-PNG-0.jpg

Not sure why the baby's look different? Maybe cause their small? or just imperfect?

Obviously years later these guys will prob be like 200 bucks, they are clownfish after all. Its just the first ones released so they are :bling:

MP said they look more like their mom once they are older, he also said since he bought the original she has lost some of the white stripes.

MP said they look more like their mom once they are older, he also said since he bought the original she has lost some of the white stripes.

Interesting that it lost some of the white. He actually lives 10 min from me and I saw his fish room but I didn't really take the time to look around cuz it was 1am and I was just picking up some stuff. Now I'm kicking myself for not looking around more.

Because it didn't happen :lol:

if you look at the old reef hobbiest free mags , I believe it was in 08 you will find an article about the leopard lighting maroon clown and yes it was at the Orange County fair grounds where this fish was going for 10k . No need to lie about that its a freaking fish ! ( 07 might be closer) since it was the very first of the mags ;)

Google please like everything in google has to be or else it never was, just archive the old reef hobbiest first mags . You will find it in the very first pages.

This isn't expensive at all considering that breeders are essentially bidding on the future of their business. It's not like they are paying that much for one fish to keep in their 40 breeder because they think it looks cool or is unique... It goes beyond face value of the auction. This is an investment. You can also bet a lot of bidders are just upping the price for their rivals as well.

jedimasterben

if you look at the old reef hobbiest free mags , I believe it was in 08 you will find an article about the leopard lighting maroon clown and yes it was at the Orange County fair grounds where this fish was going for 10k . No need to lie about that its a freaking fish ! ( 07 might be closer) since it was the very first of the mags ;)

Google please like everything in google has to be or else it never was, just archive the old reef hobbiest first mags . You will find it in the very first pages.

Uh, no you won't. First mention of the word 'lightning' in ANY of the Reef Hobbyist Magazine is Q4 2010, page 26: http://www.reefhobbyistmagazine.com/downloads/pdf/version16.pdf

which shows the PNG lightning maroon clown that Matt Pederson was to attempt to breed, who is the breeder that these lightning clowns came from.

Where the original PNG lightning maroon came from: http://www.bluezooaquatics.com/resources.asp?show=416

Matt Pederson's blog about it: http://www.lightning-maroon-clownfish.com/

Not sure why the baby's look different? Maybe cause their small? or just imperfect?

Obviously years later these guys will prob be like 200 bucks, they are clownfish after all. Its just the first ones released so they are :bling:

Hey, the parents look pretty nice.

Remember, 1.0 has never lived in a world without google. It's like the encyclopedia brittanica of tomorrow!

Remember, 1.0 has never lived in a world without google. It's like the encyclopedia brittanica of tomorrow!

A LFS store recently sold a fish for 9k

I saw an online store, I can't remember the species but it was a very deepwater basslet, went for 10K, the size was only 1.5 inches!

Jeboehlkia gladifer was the species, and 9K for a Liopropoma aberrans

If the 6G clowns nots your bag. They have a sub par pattern of the same ''F1 PNG Lightning Maroon Clownfish'' for just under 1G What a bargin ;)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/F1-PNG-Lightning-Maroon-Clownfish-BZWS1-/161051117631?pt=Live_Fish&hash=item257f65083f

32_zps32cb5a58.jpg

To be fair, this is a sibling; I do not consider this a "Lightning" maroon and as I've posted on the website, while there is a possibility that this fish could carry lightning genetics, based on the current data and what we see in other clownfish, I think the chance is small (< 1/3) that the trait is recessive and thus, would be present in this fish.

It is a sibling of the fish that show what I believe will ultimately be comparable patterning to their mother. I know Blue Zoo has used "Lightning" in the auction's title, but if you follow through to the details he has used the "White Stripe" terminology as I authored it. There is still the potential for Lightning to be burried in this fish, but I think any bidding with that in mind is speculation.

I think the real value in this fish is that they're good mates for the Lightnings; based on the parental phenotypes and the offspring spread, I AM confident that mating one of these white stripes with one of the lightning siblings, should produce a 50/50 spread. I could be wrong of course, but I'd gamble on that long before I gamble on the trait being recessive.

The other benefit the siblings have is in helping to keep the PNG bloodline clean; knowing what we know about genetic bottlenecks and foundation populations, technically the single pair's offspring is insufficient to start an entire line without outcrosses, which no doubt could come in time (I have more wild PNG Lightnings here expressly for that purpose), but unless a breeder got ahold of PNG Maroons while they were available and has them to use as mates, the siblings become the default mates for the time being.

More to come in a few....

When they first came out they were called leopards lighting clowns going for 10k saw one in reefapolooza and three guys were going back and forth to buying the tiny fish

Pm me if you can't find it ill have to look in my files for that article!

I would love for you to post up the link here...as the only mention of Orange County I could find was Page 11 of Volume 1, Issue 3, and there is absolutely no mention of a "leopard lightning clown" there. - http://reefhobbyistmagazine.com/archives/vol_1/issue_3/pages/rhm_vol1_iss3_k.htm

Now, the first Lightning Maroon was caught in 2008 - http://reefbuilders.com/2008/09/21/wicked-maroon-clownfish-emerges-from-the-png/ -while I thought maybe folks could have been discussing the Lightning Maroon or something at that point, check the date on the ReefBuilders article. It's a full month after said event..not possible.

These are awesome. THis pair would sell for 10K.

6bq.jpg

OK, so this is the pair recently...3 years after being brought into captivity.....

And this is the SAME FISH fresh from the ocean 3 years ago...see the differences in pattern?

What I think will actually happen is that these fish take maybe 2-3 years to develop into the true "Lightning" pattern as we think of it. You can see it occurring when you look at the same fish over time..for example this thread -> http://www.lightning-maroon-clownfish.com/?p=2018

I think there are going to be one of those fish that wind up only getting better with age. You may not "see" lightning in a 1 year old fish, but looking through the offspring, and knowing that all of their flanks basically started solid white, looking more like "Picasso", I'm pretty convinced that they'll continue on the path they're headed.

Archived