Pod Your Reef

Stussi's 8g CADLights Tank

Stussi613

Yeah, the second pic and the second to last pic are both Trumpets, or Candy Canes. The ones in the pic you are talking about are called highlighter candy canes. The yellow parts of it fluoresce like a highlighter! One of my fave coral so far...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had a bit of a setback last night. The highlighter candy cane had some gsp type stuff growing on the stem so I took it out and carefully scraped them off, then used a bit of vinegar to clean the area - I thought really carefully...but one of the heads totally melted and the others look worse for wear.

Things seemed to be going way to smoothly...

Nano sapiens

Sorry to hear. Vinegar is extremely acidic, so even just a little bit getting onto the corals can cause damage. Hydrogen peroxide is safer for algae removal, but I'd still be careful not to get any on the coral's flesh.

Definitely the return sucking air. If I put too much water in the back chamber with the pump running it will overflow the front chamber...learned that the hard way. The water level goes down to the base of the pump and stays there. That's why I was thinking I needed to reduce the flow.

I wish there were more CADLights 8g owners with the same style tank on here...

I just joined you .. I ordered the same tank yesterday :D

I just joined you .. I ordered the same tank yesterday :D

You're going to love it! I have two friends who keep freshwater who's wives have asked them to buy one since they've seen mine.

Just prepare yourself to be consumed :)

New FTS posted on page 1. Tank has been running for 7 weeks today and everything is super stable. I added in a rock with 7 heads of Ricordea's on it on Tuesday and they are open and happy, happy happy. The only thing I really think I need to do is use some rubble and epoxy to find a way to build up a bit of a bridge between the two rocks and get some height to put that montipora digitata on. It's not doing badly, but I think it could be doing much better with more light.

You're going to love it! I have two friends who keep freshwater who's wives have asked them to buy one since they've seen mine. Just prepare yourself to be consumed :)

I already have a pico (Ecoxotic) but wanted an AIO setup so I will transfer all my livestock to this one

CollegeNanoKid

Your tank looks great! I just ordered this tank a few days ago. I am planning on just using the stock light for basic corals, mostly zoas. How is the light doing thus far with your zoas? Also do you have any plans for adding a moonlight?

Great tank I'm following along!

Hey NanoKid, thanks for your comments. It's funny that you asked about the stock lights when you did...I just added an LED strip of Ecoxotic EcoPico with 3 x 453nm blue on it to get more actinic and add moonlights to the tank. I'll most likely be picking up a splitter and a second strip tomorrow.

Don't get me wrong, my corals are doing great under the lighting the stock fixture provides and the color is great...but I wanted more actinic for my orange Yuma ricordea and the fact that my RKL let's me program the EcoPico to come on early and go off later than my stock lights is a bonus.

I haven't updated the pic on the main page yet, but I added two Picasso clowns on Saturday to grow out for my big tank and the tank is looking pretty sweet for 8 weeks in...

null-46.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
CollegeNanoKid

Your tank looks great! I have had mine up and going for about a week. Still cycling. The stock pump keeps pushing my sand from the front corner back. I was thinking about ordering a Hydor FLO rotating wave maker. I see you couldn't get to fit and you removed ? how is your sand not getting blown around?

Your tank looks great! I have had mine up and going for about a week. Still cycling. The stock pump keeps pushing my sand from the front corner back. I was thinking about ordering a Hydor FLO rotating wave maker. I see you couldn't get to fit and you removed ? how is your sand not getting blown around?

Thanks, I've changed it again, will put an updated pic up tomorrow.

The Hydor flow stuck out really far since it would only mount on the stock outlet for the return pump. I actually had way more problems with the sand blowing around when I had the flow on it, as well as water spilling over the top corner when the tank was full...which caused me to wait too long to top up water and then the pump was spitting micro-bubbles like crazy. Do yourself a favour and get a good size rock to deflect the flow and you'll be happy you did it.

Man, the tank looks great! I just picked up two tiny Zoanthid frags and I can't wait for them to grow out like yours into big colonies.

Man, the tank looks great! I just picked up two tiny Zoanthid frags and I can't wait for them to grow out like yours into big colonies.

Thanks! I picked up the rock on the right with the red centers for $10 and the round one in the middle (which is actually a living clam covered in Zoa's!!!) for 20. I've been pretty lucky so far, the rock with all the ricordeas was my most expensive purchase at $30.

Here's an updated shot from 5 minutes ago.

I've done a few things since that last picture.

One of them was to build an arch out of Marco rock rubble that I bought when I bought the 125 pounds I need for my 125g build. I wanted to build something that connects the two larger rocks and would give some height for my Montipora Digitata which was losing ends of the branches like crazy lower in the tank. It's doing much better and the arch is starting to get algae on it so its not blazing white like it was when I built it.

I also added a few of the Ecoxotic EcoPico 453nm strips to get more actinic and have a uv cycle before/after my main lights come on and go off. The colors on everything pop much better now that I've made the additions.

I'm going to leave this tank static while I build out my 125g. Once it's done I'm actually going to re-do it and build a foam wall with live rock for the back wall and try to leave more open space in the tank for corals. As it stands right now everything is pretty much jammed in there and I don't have room for some of the Zoa's I bought from a friend who brought an order in for his tank. I'm pretty sure this tank is gong to be 100% a zoa dominated tank when I build it back up...but that will be after I build out the big tank.

Anyway, here's the pic.

null_zpsacbc1cf4.jpg

Thanks! I spent two nights making it so the left side would go into a hole in the Marco rock on the left and the right side would sit in a divot on the rock on the right.

Here's a quick video of my clowns eating flakes from my hands...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Wow, can't believe I haven't updated this thread in so long. I've been working on my 6 foot tank and it's kept me from doing much to this small one. Some new Zoa's were added in about 3 weeks ago, but I've stopped adding anything to this tank since it's pretty heavily stocked with corals for the size. Still doing weekly water changes on it, but I've stopped dosing Fuel because I do have some algae growth going on.

null_zpsc5dfd7de.jpg

I'm getting this tank delivered today!

How did you work out the micro-bubble thing?

BTW: I have a bengal cat too. She only drinks water from the water bubbling up on my Fluval Chi FW Tank. lol

Love the tank my lfs just got rid of the im nuvo series for these ... Am I ever glad they did I was in there yesterday and now I want one, four tanks is the cat causing slim issues my friends cat made their tank all slimy because of its saliva

What ecoxotic lights did u say you have and if you don't mode about how much has this costed so far

I'm getting this tank delivered today!

How did you work out the micro-bubble thing?

BTW: I have a bengal cat too. She only drinks water from the water bubbling up on my Fluval Chi FW Tank. lol

The micro bubbles are easy to work out, if you start getting them add more RO water to the system with the pump running until the pump stops sucking air.

We have one of those Drinkwell fountains with the pump in it next to this tank...it's the only way to keep them away from it!

What ecoxotic lights did u say you have and if you don't mode about how much has this costed so far

I added two of the Ecoxotic EcoPico LED strips with 3 x 453nm lights. If you go to their site you'll see them under Aquarium LED lights. Both of them run off one transformer so they're easy to use with my Reef Keeper Lite. I don't mind saying how much I have in this tank, but I'm really not sure exactly how much it is. Without the livestock it's probably $350 total (tank, RKL, heater and Ecoxotic strips), but you could really cut that down to the tank and heater as a minimum. The stock lights are very good on this tank and the colors pop without the add on lights, I just wanted to add more actinic and have a dawn/dusk type part of my cycle.

Livestock is a different story, I got pretty lucky and got allot of my corals for $10 a piece, the most expensive livestock in the tank are my hand picked Picasso Clowns.

Wow really my sister really wants this tank so that price is going to make her happier, and yeah I know how corals can get... "Maybe I can cram one more in there" bang 70$ later

Archived