Cultivated Reef

BRS Extra thick Reef Glue

claval01

Im considering ordering this http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-extra-thick-gel-super-glue.html, I was wondering is it good? I have some rocks I need to glue together in my tank underwater. Does this work well underwater? Will I have to turn off my skimmer? I know that the putty requires you to turn off your skimmer for like 3 days which is why I haven't used it yet... So can I use this w/o turning off my skimmer?

Thanks

Shallow~Reef

There is something called Eco-Tech Marine glue personally not used it but seeing the reviews and videos I think it will do better, for you.

Arkayology

I have used this stuff for years. You can use it with your skimmer on. As for using it to glue rocks together, I would not use it. It is strong, but I wouldn't count on it to last for years. When you use it on one surface and then put it under water, it starts to cure and becomes difficult to attach. It works best if you use it out of the tank and let it dry before putting the rocks/frags back in. You should get some reef safe cement/mortar mix that is sold online to make sure the rocks don't move. You could also get some of the reef putty and make a sandwich of surface/ glue / putty/ glue/ surface. It works very well in that way.

Personally, I only use it to glue frags to frag plugs and to attach frags to putty on rocks.

disaster999

it should be no different than any regular old gel CA glue. its no a 2 part epoxy that needs mixing so you dont have to worry about your skimmer going crazy

• 3 weeks later...

If you do get it you should get a bottle if this

Check this out on AMZN: Insta-set accelerator pump 2oz Bob Smith Ind.

http://amzn.com/B0000DD1QR

Spray it on the glue and it instant sets. I have it in my Amazon cart obviously. I'm going to use for building up the dry live rock. CA glue. spray it so it holds quickly. Then two part epoxy all the joints and fill with rubble.

The spray smells, it's very volatile, toxic(but so does CA glue) so keep it away from your tank until it cures and drys. I'm going to presoak mine for a while, then bake in the sun before it goes in the tank.

Epo Putty, from the UK with US dealer claims no pre CA gluing or rods required for holding. I'm going to text that too.

disaster999

i would be extra cautious in using those insta-set spray. Not sure what kind of chemicals are in it to accelerate the curing time for CA glue. I dont think CA is toxic as its use in medical fields to seal up cut wounds

Epoxy putty with super glue is better for rocks than super glue alone.

If you have a lof of gluing to do you can try to get a small quantity of emaco from marco rocks. It is basically mortar that is reef safe.

Just warning, EPO Putty: http://www.epoputtyusa.com/ I have seen good reviews on HOWEVER, it almost killed my clownfish (laying on side gasping on bottom of tank) and I tried it a 2nd time using less and my mandarin started gasping at the top of the tank and was stuck to the filter (luckily I had a QT set up so I threw him in there and he pulled through).

Everything says epo putty does not use oxygen but I have had a bad reaction with "gasping" fish twice hours after using it. No problems with the corals or inverts though.

I would feel bad if I didn't warn someone about this brand and they used it and lost a fish.

• 4 weeks later...

i would be extra cautious in using those insta-set spray. Not sure what kind of chemicals are in it to accelerate the curing time for CA glue. I dont think CA is toxic as its use in medical fields to seal up cut wounds

The CA glue used in the medical field is a different formula then what is sold in stores. FYI

• 3 weeks later...

Archived