ReefCleaners.org

Im thinking of going DSLR...

--chris--

Ill have to give the eye dropper tool a shot, i was using the slider to eliminate the aberration. The slider works, but if i took it too far it would remove the pinks/purple tones from polyps as well. Im still not able to get CRW images into LR. I downloaded camera raw, but I cant get that program to "see" CRW images.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How are you trying to get the raw images into lightroom?

Plug camera in, click import on bottom left of lightroom screen, select camera, click import.

I ended up having to use a Nikon program to see the Nikon raw images.

I was using an HP laptop yesterday, one the wife normally uses, and it came with some HP photo preview program and Corel paintshop photo pro, and the darn think could read the RAW images without issue. Not sure I'm a big fan of paintshop, it was a bit awkward and slow to use.

How are you trying to get the raw images into lightroom?

Plug camera in, click import on bottom left of lightroom screen, select camera, click import.

I tired that, it says there are no images found. It wont "see" any of the CRW images in any of the folders, all it sees is JPEG

edit: Well it cant see any images on my camera because i deleated everything. CRW images are imported already as well, so im just dumb.

Im getting the hang of this!

CRW_1968_zps76bfb961.jpg

Well i thought i wanted/needed a camera upgrade to get what i wanted. Turns out some cheap close up lenses $80 worth of software is all i needed.

I have learned a lot though...im thinking ill rename this thread to something like "follow as i bumble my way through digital photography".

I wanted to ask someone. Is it the G5's lens/glass that is causing those severe aberrations? Ive played with with teh chromatic abberation removal eye dropper tool for 30-40 minutes total, moving sliders, etc...i can remove the aberration almost completely, but not without removing some colors from the coral. What you see above is as far as i can take the slider without removing color from the coral.

I guess what i am asking is, would a newer P&S or higher end anything help to eliminate that?

Christopher Marks

They're being caused by the macro and telephoto lens adaptors you've placed on the G5. Those lenses are of a 'rough' optical quality for reasons of size and price, they were not designed specifically to mate with the G5's optics. Severe chromatic aberrations are common with lens adaptors of this nature.

Any camera or lens with real macro focusing capability shouldn't suffer from chromatic aberrations, at least not to this extent. If they do have CA however, it will be more easily removable because you won't have to push the removal tool so far.

They're being caused by the macro and telephoto lens adaptors you've placed on the G5. Those lenses are of a 'rough' optical quality for reasons of size and price, they were not designed specifically to mate with the G5's optics. Severe chromatic aberrations are common with lens adaptors of this nature.

Any camera or lens with real macro focusing capability shouldn't suffer from chromatic aberrations, at least not to this extent. If they do have CA however, it will be more easily removable because you won't have to push the removal tool so far.

Ok thanks, i kind of thought that was it. It would make sense then that the Canon close up lenses (3X the cost) would help mitigate some the CA correct?

Christopher Marks

It's likely that Canon's own lenses would have far better optics to mate with the G5's lens, yes. Especially if those lenses are designed to only work with the G5 and aren't more 'generic'. Are they worth the cost however? I'd say you're better off having fun experimenting with these and learning more, and then investing any other expenses into a new camera at some point. Now that you're into Lightroom, I'm sure you can see what a difference good post processing makes, the next step is getting better files from a nicer camera.

Don't get too caught up in dealing with chromatic aberrations. They happen on the edges of high contrast situations, like bright white frag plugs. Try shooting up close to a coral that's just on live rock and see how that goes.

Archived