Pod Your Reef

Im thinking of going DSLR...

--chris--

For a few reasons.

A) I want to get closer to my coral! Who doesn't? With my current G5, i have a choice of doing diopters or a lens reversal but im still limited to what the software on my camera will allow and a very shallow DOF if i do that. If I used my camera for just macros, id probably be fine with this. However...

B) Ive been taking a lot more pics of my baby (13 months now, what!?). Id like to start using a 30mm or 50mm fixed length lens, which again could be done with my current G5 through adapters and such. Hes also getting more mobile, and starting to run/walk. I know the G5 wont be able to focus on him when he starts moving quickly, a new/modern focusing motor will fix this.

C) The LCD on the G5 is outdated, and lacking in detail. Not its fault, it was a high end LCD when new...but that was in what...2004? LCD technology has moved a LONG way since then. Having a nice, big and rich LCD display on the camera to see white balance and test shots before uploading to the computer would be awesome.

Those are my thoughts (someone more educated on this please tell me if im wrong). My ideas on a DSLR are:

Nikon D40 from KEH (EX condition for $144 http://www.keh.com/camera/Nikon-Digital-Camera-Bodies/1/sku-DN029990945020?r=FE)

Nikon D40x from KEH (EX condition for $179 http://www.keh.com/camera/Nikon-Digital-Camera-Bodies/1/sku-DN029991003310?r=FE)

Nikon D5100 from KEH (LN Condition for $379 http://www.keh.com/camera/Nikon-Digital-Camera-Bodies/1/sku-DN029991236650?r=FE)

Im leaning most towards the D40 for $144. Ken Rockwell loves that body. He also says the D40x is nice, but prefers the D40 for a few reasons. He also loves the D5100, but its almost twice as much as the D40. Is it twice as good? Im not sure...

For lenses, i was thinking of buying this right off the bat:

Nikkor 35F 1.8G http://www.keh.com/camera/Nikon-Digital-Fixed-Focal-Length-Lenses/1/sku-DN06999106685R?r=FE

And using my G5 for macro until i can afford a nice macro lens for the DSLR.

Thoughts on my plan?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How large do you expect you'll print your photos out? The D40 is pretty ancient if I recall.

Ken Rockwell is a hack.

I like your idea of keeping the G5 to use for backup while your build your lens collection.

A 35mm prime would be a good start so long as you understand the difficulties and challenges associated with shooting primes (I rarely ever shoot anything that isn't a prime at this point though).

I'm not going to try and convince you to buy a Canon instead of Nikon, but I feel like most of us here use Canons so we might not be able to help you much in your search.

How large do you expect you'll print your photos out? The D40 is pretty ancient if I recall.

Ken Rockwell is a hack.

I like your idea of keeping the G5 to use for backup while your build your lens collection.

A 35mm prime would be a good start so long as you understand the difficulties and challenges associated with shooting primes (I rarely ever shoot anything that isn't a prime at this point though).

I'm not going to try and convince you to buy a Canon instead of Nikon, but I feel like most of us here use Canons so we might not be able to help you much in your search.

Ill almost never print a photo, but at the largest 8x10. We like to keep things in the digital format :) I do however crop a lot, but im too new to understand how much crop & mega pixels play off each other. I assume more MP = deeper crop'ing ability right?

Ken's a hack? Please, aware me.

The G5 does great macro work, i know im the limiting factor...but im pretty certain a newer DSLR would blow it away in terms of portrait/candid photos.

I really like what i see out of the 35mm glass, especially indoors where i do a lot of shooting. Im open to canon as well, i do own a G5 lol. Suggestions on that side of things?

Ill almost never print a photo, but at the largest 8x10. We like to keep things in the digital format :) I do however crop a lot, but im too new to understand how much crop & mega pixels play off each other. I assume more MP = deeper crop'ing ability right?

More or less, yeah. You'll probably be fine with any DSLR you can currently buy if your goal is no larger than an 8x10. Even if you wanted to do a larger photobook or something you'd probably still be fine.

I really like what i see out of the 35mm glass, especially indoors where i do a lot of shooting. Im open to canon as well, i do own a G5 lol. Suggestions on that side of things?

I can't really think of anything in the range you're looking at for Canon, but my wife shoots with an XSi and she loves it. Probably the oldest you could currently find is a T1i. Pretty much any budget DSLR body will function the same IMHO so I don't want to steer you one way or another. Both Nikon and Canon have good options for bodies and lenses.

Canon offers refurbs directly from them that would be as good as new.

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/subCategory_10051_10051_-1_29252#

Little late to the party, but I'll chime in none the less.

There's two halves to a camera, the body and the lens. Of modern cameras, there's really only 2 major choices canon or nikon. Pick one and embrace it.

The major differentiators are body gives you really a couple of things, ISO range (low light sensitivity) and auto focus.

Lens have a bit more differentiators, from the basics focal length, aperture (waaaaay under rated by most people new to cameras) to the less obvious IQ (sharpness, color casts, distortion, etc).

I knew people with canon lens I could borrow so I went canon. You can buy a T1i and the 18-55mm kit lens for very cheap and get 1:3 nice "macros" with it from a decent tripod. Beyond that to go to 1:1 you'll want for "true" macros for 3 times more magnification.

Most macro lens will give you 1:1 (some are 1:2 so be careful), however the difference between a 60mm and a 180mm 1:1 macro is the distance between the end of the lens and the object at 1:1. For 60mm macros, it's a couple of inches, while at a 180mm it's something like 12 inches. What this means is to have 1:1 pictures, you'll need your corals to be at the very front of your tank for a 60mm, while they can be much farther away for a 100 or 180mm. The 100mm Canon F/2.8 macro is one of the best value macro lens. However, they're 550$. That's just kind of the price you have to pay if you want a Zoa to fill the frame. Like I said above though, if you don't want that much mag, you don't have to have it.

One final thought, bodies age, lens last forever. There are pictures in my thread taken with a 33 year old macro lens. A 10 year old DSLR body? Almost worthless.

Not too late at all :)

Im still soaking in everything posted above, and now wil mix this in.

I more or less think the same way about the bodies, which is why i wanted to spend less on the body now and more on the lens now. If the body drives me nuts for whatever reason, i can work around it more easily than i can a bad lens. And upgrade the body when i get the chance...

Christopher Marks

If you want something to compare on the Canon side, the Rebel T2i is a great choice, and can be found used for around $400 on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?&_nkw=canon+t2i+body&_sacat=0&_from=R40

When it was brand new, the sensor technology made a huge leap from previous generations, many of Canon's cameras are still using a version of it today. I'd say it's still a pretty good value. If you pay a little extra for the T3i, which you can still find new for under $500 on eBay, you'll gain a swivel LCD screen, which can be handy when photographing your aquarium from unusual angles.

If you want something to compare on the Canon side, the Rebel T2i is a great choice, and can be found used for around $400 on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?&_nkw=canon+t2i+body&_sacat=0&_from=R40

When it was brand new, the sensor technology made a huge leap from previous generations, many of Canon's cameras are still using a version of it today. I'd say it's still a pretty good value. If you pay a little extra for the T3i, which you can still find new for under $500 on eBay, you'll gain a swivel LCD screen, which can be handy when photographing your aquarium from unusual angles.

To elaborate on this post a little more. When you step up to the t4i, you get a much better AF system, but a very similar sensor to the T2i. The step up to the 5i, there is no significant change to the body, the 18-55mm kit lens is much improved though over the 18-55 that's included in most rebel kits.

To elaborate on this post a little more. When you step up to the t4i, you get a much better AF system, but a very similar sensor to the T2i. The step up to the 5i, there is no significant change to the body, the 18-55mm kit lens is much improved though over the 18-55 that's included in most rebel kits.

Just picked up the T4i with a lens kit from Costco last month and LOVE it.

This kind of answer is worth MONEY! Thanks for your help. AF = ? Auto Focus?

Formula462

I take better pictures than my "professional photographer" friend ( he THINKS he's pro) and I just have a kit d40. Even with my factory lens I can out shoot him. Hell I can take better macros without a macro lens, than he can with one.

It's all about the eye really. but if you break it down into equipment only, yes, it's the lens that makes the difference.

AF means autofocus, yes.

There is a lot that happens with the person behind the camera, and there is a lot that happens in post processing. A copy of lightroom would be a wise investment.

Reef Fever

D7000 is my vote! I LOVE mine..started out on a 35mm n75, then a d80, now I have the d7000.

However on your choices I har heard the d5100 is a pretty decent dslr

AF means autofocus, yes.

There is a lot that happens with the person behind the camera, and there is a lot that happens in post processing. A copy of lightroom would be a wise investment.

At what point/camera generation would i be able to follow a moving object (example: My sumbling/bumbling 14 month old) with AF? I dont need to keep a race car in focus, just a kid as he moves around.

D7000 is my vote! I LOVE mine..started out on a 35mm n75, then a d80, now I have the d7000. However on your choices I har heard the d5100 is a pretty decent dslr

Damn you guys! I really wanted to do this on the cheap and get two lenses from the get go. However, it seems like i might be able to make a newer body with a kit lens and tubes work for macro while i save up for a lens.

At what point/camera generation would i be able to follow a moving object (example: My sumbling/bumbling 14 month old) with AF? I dont need to keep a race car in focus, just a kid as he moves around.

Depends on how often you're willing to accept it missing focus. The t5i has the 18-55mm STM which is a solid lens, takes video well, and is currently priced the same as the t4i w/ the older 18-55 non-STM lens. Refer to canonpricewatch.com for easily comparing the best prices. It is really well laid out and will show price histories as well.

If you are going to toss a toddler into the mix, you'll probably want video as well. At the current pricing, the t5i would be a solid contender as the t2i, t3i, and t4i have increased in prices as stock as dwindled. I believe the t3i and t2i are available refurbished from 400$ from the canon store at the moment. The t3i or t2i would be just fine for you.

Damn you guys! I really wanted to do this on the cheap and get two lenses from the get go. However, it seems like i might be able to make a newer body with a kit lens and tubes work for macro while i save up for a lens.

When it comes to camera gear, lens last forever, bodies fade away. Canon currently sells lens that are 15 years without a new design. And they're great lens that people still buy today. New bodies are released every 18 months or something with various levels of improvements.

In other words, if you buy a t5i today and a EF 100mm F/2.8 macro, you'll probably replace the body in 5 years and still be using the lens in 30 years.

As far as extension tubes go, make sure you get the ones with electrical contacts. While you'll be doing manual focus, you will want them to set the aperture. There are ways to manually set the aperture, but it's a serious pain in the ass.

Depends on how often you're willing to accept it missing focus. The t5i has the 18-55mm STM which is a solid lens, takes video well, and is currently priced the same as the t4i w/ the older 18-55 non-STM lens. Refer to canonpricewatch.com for easily comparing the best prices. It is really well laid out and will show price histories as well.

If you are going to toss a toddler into the mix, you'll probably want video as well. At the current pricing, the t5i would be a solid contender as the t2i, t3i, and t4i have increased in prices as stock as dwindled. I believe the t3i and t2i are available refurbished from 400$ from the canon store at the moment. The t3i or t2i would be just fine for you.

When it comes to camera gear, lens last forever, bodies fade away. Canon currently sells lens that are 15 years without a new design. And they're great lens that people still buy today. New bodies are released every 18 months or something with various levels of improvements.

In other words, if you buy a t5i today and a EF 100mm F/2.8 macro, you'll probably replace the body in 5 years and still be using the lens in 30 years.

As far as extension tubes go, make sure you get the ones with electrical contacts. While you'll be doing manual focus, you will want them to set the aperture. There are ways to manually set the aperture, but it's a serious pain in the ass.

Thanks again, i really appreciate all of it.

I seriously doubt you would have any trouble with any of the bodies you've been looking at as far as AF is concerned. Some are most definitely better than others, but all will get the job done. I'd pick a company and get the cheapest body you can afford. It'll be a while before you outgrow it and the cheaper bodies cost next to nothing, so they've really got nowhere to depreciate to.

As long as you're shooting in daylight any body will suffice and give you good pictures. If you're trying to take pictures in low light you would have to spend a lot of cash to get something that will be decent at anything over ISO 800 (subjective, I know).

I've narrowed it down to either canon or nikon with a 2.5"+ tilt/swivel screen. The cheapest one will probably win. I take a ton of top downs, I need to have a swivel screen. Beyond that, from what everyone has helped me figure out im good.

I thought it would be prudent to do some more playing around with the G5 before i drop cash and move up to something i may not need.

I bought a lensmate wide angle & diopter kit from Amazon for $26. Hopefully it will be here before the weekend and i can see if that gets me what i want as far as macro is concerned.

I may still get a DSLR even if im happy with macro. Photographing a child is more challenging than i thought, and waiting for my old G5 to play catch up can really drive me nuts. At least this way if i do get a DSLR i wont be wasting money on a macro lens i may not even need...

I thought it would be prudent to do some more playing around with the G5 before i drop cash and move up to something i may not need.

I bought a lensmate wide angle & diopter kit from Amazon for $26. Hopefully it will be here before the weekend and i can see if that gets me what i want as far as macro is concerned.

I may still get a DSLR even if im happy with macro. Photographing a child is more challenging than i thought, and waiting for my old G5 to play catch up can really drive me nuts. At least this way if i do get a DSLR i wont be wasting money on a macro lens i may not even need...

I would just keep playing with your G5. You might want to do more research before getting a DSLR. You don't want to impulse buy a DSLR with a kit lens and get frustrated with it. Honestly the beauty lies in the lens you buy and not the DSLR body. Any body with a decent mega-pixel works fine. You don't need 22.3 MP body to shoot raw and print out large billboards.

Im beginning to realize that i need more work with my white balance than i do with anything else (not saying composition is perfect though). The G5 does a great job with custom white balancing reef tank lighting...but id like to leave a little blue tinge in my photos.

Instead i get a almost perfect rendition of 10K everytime lol. Great when trying to show what coral look like under 10K, but when trying to show what coral look like under 90% of the light spectrum we keep coral at.

If i could get the colors to be 100%, get a little closer in on my shots and compose everything a little better i would be happy.

I was thinking about my white balance issue. I shoot in RAW, would Lightroom or PS Elements be what i need to adjust that? I know both handle that setting, but that would really be all the photo editing i do...which would be better suited for that?

Or can gimp handle RAW without some add-on that might/might not work all the time?

White balance is going to give things a natural color when shot in unnatural lighting. If I want to maintain the colors in photo that my eye sees, I set my WB for natural sunlight. There are also times where I need a blast of light from speedlights so I drag the WB slider over to bring back more of the actinic blue.

Just to show the drastic differences with some white balance slide and over saturation in some spots in lightroom...

8704289033_1be4b31560_b.jpg
IMG_3030 by bishop171980, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93257167@N02/8705411638/'>8705411638_d723fcd033_b.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/93257167@N02/8705411638/'>IMG_3030-2 by http://www.flickr.com/people/93257167@N02/'>bishop171980, on Flickr

Archived