Innovative Marine Aquariums

ADA 60P

ptboy6

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly, if you did the external overflow box on the ADA, it would take it to a whole new level of cleanliness and sexiness. Still though, no harm if you don't go through with it, and if you don't, I suggest to continue on with the corner overflow box just like they do it at ADA on their larger aquariums.

Where ya gonna get your overflow from bud?

I was going to make my own overflow. I can cut acrylic pretty clean with my tracksaw. But now I'm really tempted to make an external overflow. Still working to finish the stand so I've got time to plan out the overflow and return.

Drift Monkey

I was going to make my own overflow. I can cut acrylic pretty clean with my tracksaw. But now I'm really tempted to make an external overflow. Still working to finish the stand so I've got time to plan out the overflow and return.

Ah, I'm jelly! I'm stuck in an apartment right now, so I barely have any tools! I'm probably just gonna go with a pre-made internal box for the current build.

I'll have that external coast to coast overflow one day...one day.

:/ I know how that feels. Once I figure out how to cut this notch for an external, I'll make a video or something to help others do it. Lol.

If it was me in this situation and I had a few extra pieces of glass to experiment on, I would practice until I got it just right, and then cut out the notch on the ADA. Reason being; even if you still have a couple screw ups or microscopic chips, you can cover all of that with the teeth of the overflow. No one would ever even know it was there, and it would still look professional.

If I had seen or known about the methods that MGD was using in order to install external overflow boxes in his aquariums before I had drilled holes in my current tank, there is no doubt that I would have tried my hand at it.

Don't get me wrong though, there is absolutely no substitute for the way that you envision your own aquarium. I am just simply stating that my preference would be to have almost nothing inside of the actual aquarium including the overflow box. Still though.. there's no pressure at all, and to attest to that, you can plainly see the amount of AMAZING aquariums here that have all kinds of equipment on or in their aquariums, and still succeed at looking incredible.

True. BMW is terrible at maintenance, worse than Mercedes IMO. I'm still sticking with Mercedes though. My style man. :)

I had a gl550 and it was crap. Never getting a Mercedes again. A lot of problems

I just got a A6.... I am loving it. But a hyndai genesis has my eye?!

Deleted User 4

No update for you! Not for another YEAR son!

Lol, you suck!!!

Ptboy still better be here...when I come back for you!!

and your tank. Lol.

Deleted User 4

We'll see buddy...we'll see! I have a feeling you'll know either way... :haha:

Lolol ptboy....I already know what this guy has in plan for. Some crazy rare expensive eyecandys....he's got the rarest collection on nr I believe. There's more on reef2reef but I still like to chill and stay active on this site rather. Reef2reef, reefcentral, and other forum sites are more for like me trying to sell my stuff. lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

sorry guys, been busy and there's no real progress to the build yet. I'm done with the stand but I just found a huge error on my behalf... I forgot to leave space for the door hinges so now the 20L won't fit. lol Looks like I'll either have to go with a 10 gal sump or a custom sump acrylic sump. What do you guys think?

Drift Monkey

sorry guys, been busy and there's no real progress to the build yet. I'm done with the stand but I just found a huge error on my behalf... I forgot to leave space for the door hinges so now the 20L won't fit. lol Looks like I'll either have to go with a 10 gal sump or a custom sump acrylic sump. What do you guys think?

Same reason I'm running my 10g sump. Couldn't find anything else commonly available that would fit.

Sad to hear. I was looking forward to seeing the pans come to life.

Consider an unconventional hingeing method. For example - Piano hinges. Heck. I opted out for hinges. I use magnets.

Edit: or make a false floor that stands right above the bottom hinges. You could use some 2x2 for a square platform with 2x2 reinforcement braces with 2x4 legs or something. Just a thought. That would also give you some extra storage room.

I read this thread back wards and I was like, geese there's no pictures, then I got to the ADA tank and was like ohhhhhhhh

hehe thanks guys!

I have the soft close hinges on there so that it won't scare the fish. :) I think I'm just gonna build my own sump. It would solve a lot of different problems I have with the layout too.

I'll try to keep you guys updated as much as I can but life is getting in the way right now. ;)

Archived