Cultivated Reef

Brad's PicO III Mantis Tank

Hobbesaurus

Hobbesaurus

Since my last post I've talked myself into getting a Reefkeeper lite and a 5 stage RO/DI system from BRS... I'm now in the process of planning out my stand and cable management.

I've created the following drawing in google docs to illustrate what I'm planning to do.

pBhy7oc.jpg

I'd appreciate any feedback the community has for me on what I've got here..

I plan to use my Dremmel again to cut into the sheet metal on the back of the tank stand. I'm going to test it on the inside of the drawer first to see how it goes. I plan to pick up some panduit grommet edging (edit: Amazon link for those not using firefox) to help keep the cable spine from catching on where I cut through.

I've looked at all my cables and it looks like I've got around 4-6 feet to work with on just about every length, so I'm not too concerned there (yet)

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hobbesaurus

Feeling good about my design that I posted yesterday, I went ahead and started cutting into the back of the stand to make a place for cables to run...

With all the drawers removed

XJKwBDT.jpg

Planning my cut

EAyrDhn.jpg

Post cut

ylb1HBH.jpg

oIbhmvB.jpg

Followed that up with a cut into the top drawer, there wasn't quite enough clearance like I had hoped for

sNLvKFa.jpg

Ended up using some clear plastic tubing to line the edges... cheaper than the Panduit solution I talked about previously

C1HEoNC.jpg

Ap9uHrx.jpg

Hobbesaurus

So the package with my tank just arrived, unfortunately I'm not as excited as I was 20 minutes ago...

VcJWH1d.jpg

1YdWxO8.jpg

kIfEt0h.jpg

about to start unboxing... wish me luck

Hobbesaurus

Whoops, sorry for the delay, was too busy sending bitchy emails to UPS

So... The tank has survived! :happy:

yWq83zg.jpg

XU87GXC.jpg

Chris did a really good job with packing, it held up against the onslaught of disgruntled UPS workers

Unfortunately I didn't get any good shots of the tank fully unboxed except where it currently sits on my back porch leak testing...

Nd3vb3i.jpg

Plan to get some good pictures this weekend with a better camera (Looking at you Danny)

Exploded view?

Funny that you posted this... I had this scene in my head all morning, specifically the part where he does a handstand off it... lol

Islandoftiki

UPS worker's best efforts to destroy the internal contents of the package foiled again! Muahahaha!

Hobbesaurus

UPS worker's best efforts to destroy the internal contents of the package foiled again! Muahahaha!

I didn't notice the huge dent when I first walked out the door to see the UPS guy getting back into his truck... He yells out "be careful with that..." as he drives away

LgK3xZx.png

We're going to have to get you a better camera if you're going to have an awesome tank. :P

It'll be a little bit yet, one expense at a time... Besides, that's what good friends are for! (especially those that just recently picked up a nice DSLR)

Islandoftiki

I'm very excited about this tank. Having a mantis is a real adventure.

They are such curious creatures...

31237419-89cb-4444-a920-6beaf710bb1c_zps

Passaggper

Awesome. I received my PicO SI on Wednesday and the box was all smashed up. I told the UPS guy to wait while I opened it. Luckily, everything was in good shape.

Hobbesaurus

Awesome. I received my PicO SI on Wednesday and the box was all smashed up. I told the UPS guy to wait while I opened it. Luckily, everything was in good shape.

Yeah in hindsight I would have looked the box over a bit more before he ran off ... thankfully everything is looking good.

I've finished my leak testing and I've added the PVC tunnel system along with a couple inches of substrate

tBkqDly.jpg

After adding Vita/dry rock

J9VpWGs.jpg

H6Fa5jp.jpg

CV4wP4i.jpg

iftLZCn.jpg

Since taking these pictures I've moved the entire scape to the right about 1/2" to allow space for the magnet cleaner. I'm also looking to possibly dress up the PVC tube coming up in the middle of the grotto

And finally, I know it's not perfectly centered, plan to fix that before adding water again ;)

Looks beautiful, can't wait to see the Mantis in the tank. I'm planning something similar, but an N. Wennerae in a 7.5 gallon Naked PicO. Following!

Hobbesaurus

Due to some work obligations I was slow to get everything setup and in place but I'm just about there now...

0nwxopT.jpg

sI2vLXL.jpg

Nkz8m0j.jpg

Spent a few hours figuring out my cable management; varying cable lengths and the occasional power brick upped the difficulty level a little bit >.< I was forced to change my plan to suit the varying lengths...

rsPaEAa.jpg

Aps8HW5.jpg

fkfHiAK.jpg

The drawer still pulls out fairly easily, excess cables just get tucked back behind the drawers.

6DkHepC.jpg

I still have a bit of work to do, I need to get a second power bar installed which I think I'll probably just break down and order another power controller from Digital Aquatics rather than using a generic power strip. The second strip will be needed to provide power for the auto top-off, heater, and webcam.

Ok, so after a little wait, I come bearing updates!

I've tracked down a mantis for purchase and ended up going with G. Ternatensis off blue zoo after frustration of not finding a smithii (only to have them post one a few days later <_< ). Shortly after making my purchase I began reading a little more into the species and found out about the unsavory cultivation practices. As unfortunate as they are my purchase had already been made; now I know for next time.

So I've been massing the packages with the lump sum arriving two days ago...

Before:

U5rxl1N.jpg

After:

l8vIZdW.jpg

Note the addition of an IP camera which I have some plans for ;)

Chris mentioned the tank should be shipping out sometime this upcoming week, so now just waiting for that.

Along with Danny picked up wooden tool chest from Costco that we felt looked snazzy enough to house a fish tank

7BAJ2i6.jpg

I've also fashioned a PVC tubing burrow which I intend to place under the Aquatech grotto...

yktveIN.jpg

With the grotto resting on top:

g4qHb8p.jpg

PkaVywE.jpg

Ui2hfZ7.jpg

My wienerdog Hobbes checking things out:

fFemVQ0.jpg

I'm planning to cover the PVC tubing ends with either chunks of dry rock (that I plan to chisel holes through) or a coating of sand

In addition I've started stocking up on LPS coral to stock the tank with when it arrives. They're currently being stored in Danny's Solana until I've had a chance to get mine setup and cycled. Here's a couple I've picked up so far..

Frogspawn:

qk9umKlh.jpg

Wall Hammer:

plpVxYoh.jpg

Bubble:

IJ1Tqq6h.jpg

Unforunately the bubble isn't looking nearly as happy as it does in this picture at the moment... Danny had a couple bastard emerald crabs that we think might have been chomping on it when we weren't looking. Crabs are now sitting in the sump and will likely feel retribution via the mantis when it arrives :angry:... Will try to post some updated pictures of the bubble at some point.

Seeing as how I picked up a G. Ternatensis I feel it's going to be necessary to get some type of SPS colony going in the tank as well... Keeping my eye out for something that's relatively "easier" to keep than other SPS that the mantis can do it's thing in. I'm aware of it's habit of smashing corals and figure "if it makes it happy" then I've done a good job with the habitat and that's what counts.

As for tankmates to start I'm thinking a couple damelfish and a turbo snail (lol, we'll see)...

Will post more pictures when the tank arrives :D

any links to this tool chest?

I have always found Mantis interesting, but also quite evil. not sure If i could sleep at night having one in my house.....

Hobbesaurus

Makes me wish I got the regular III

I honestly like the look of the shallow version more but I think I need the height for substrate

I have always found Mantis interesting, but also quite evil. not sure If i could sleep at night having one in my house.....

Yeah I picture something along the lines of the Half Life headcrab

This is what you're looking for, my good sir.

Thank you good sir. You're a gentleman and scholar.
ThiefofAlways

This thing looks awesome!

This mantis is gonna be one happy camper!

One thing I saw, the wheels on the tank stand... I would get rid of those...Shifting stands are no good unless I missed your reasoning behind leaving he wheels in which case disregard :)

Good luck man! I think this is shaping up AWESOME!

Archived