Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Critter looks like mantis shrimp/stick insect hybrid

hypostatic

hypostatic

Ok I saw this creature in my tank last night and he was like waving back and forth and it looked like he was trying to catch something that drifted by. It was small, about 1.5cm (~.6in). It was like clear/white. It was thin like a stick insect, but also sorta looked like it had mantis shrimp pincers.

Being photographically challenged, I did not not take a picture of it. Instead, here's my artist's rendition of the creature:

1sd14x.jpg

Nano sapiens

Likely a Caprellid Skeleton Shrimp. Does it move like an Inch-worm? IF so, this is a detritus/plankton feeder.

fretfreak13

Caprellid Skeleton Shrimp.

Never heard of that, and I normally answer almost all of the ID threads...o.o Googled it, that is the creepiest thing I've ever seen...

Nano sapiens

Never heard of that, and I normally answer almost all of the ID threads...o.o Googled it, that is the creepiest thing I've ever seen...

I'd love to have a bunch of these running around my tank, but they likely wouldn't survive long in a tank with fish.

andi.rahl

oddly, from another thread I read a while back, this is something that I would have known! XD which is weird since I never know what anything is... whereas fretfreak13 usually knows everything in the ID section, as she has pointed out! lol

they look like little underwater world grim reapers to me.

They are awesome little guys but they are hard to keep alive since everything likes to snack on them.

Seriously...that thing is going to haunt my dreams. And I practically snuggle my mantis shrimp..

They are rather small and helpless though. Like amphipod small....and the BBS kind of helpless

Being photographically challenged, I did not not take a picture of it. Instead, here's my artist's rendition of the creature:

1sd14x.jpg

<a  href=http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/scoopsandiego.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/9/1e/91eb0634-33e1-11e1-8514-001a4bcf6878/4eff5b92a325a.image.jpg' alt='4eff5b92a325a.image.jpg'>

I definitely see the resemblance, but am still amazed nano sapiens got that ID on the first post, with confidence too!

Your rendition is hilarious.

hypostatic

I definitely see the resemblance, but am still amazed nano sapiens got that ID on the first post, with confidence too!

Your rendition is hilarious.

Thanks! Nice to know my liberal arts degree is useful for something haha

Chew_Magna

kokopelli.jpgLooks like the Navajo deity Kokopelli to me.

LOL! If Kokopelli were an alien from under water ~o.O~

Voodoodol
4eff5b92a325a.image.jpg

ah yes, this would be the creature. Nice ID work gentlemen!

God that things FREAKY! I'd lose it if I saw that in my tank. Some things should just stay in the deepest,darkest, depths of the ocean because they are too scary and alien to contemplate(not really)

andi.rahl

kokopelli.jpgLooks like the Navajo deity Kokopelli to me.

I have a turquoise kokopelli on my key ring, and I won't ever look at it the same way. now it's the snack-like grim reaper (in appearance only) of tanks: the skeleton shrimp

Blubbernaut

God that things FREAKY! I'd lose it if I saw that in my tank. Some things should just stay in the deepest,darkest, depths of the ocean because they are too scary and alien to contemplate(not really)

There's a reason God keeps the giant squid in such deep areas........ :unsure: Imagine snorkeling in Hawai'i and all of a sudden 50 FOOT SQUID :blink:

andi.rahl

I'd just poop. All over.

this is the second time today that I've pretty much coughed up my beverage. I'll be in the middle of drinking something, and read something ridiculous...the rest is history. .xD

the first was my green tea and the 2nd was pepsi. x_x

There's a reason God keeps the giant squid in such deep areas........ :unsure: Imagine snorkeling in Hawai'i and all of a sudden 50 FOOT SQUID :blink:

Can't. That's just too scary at 3 a.m.

Seriously, has any one seen these for sale? The 2" variety? I'd like to seed my fuge with the amphipod reapers.

Archived