inTank Media Baskets

Florida pico fish?

lkoechle

So, my plans of a clown goby/sexy shrimp pico plans changed because of money for coral, lighting, etc. So I thought, Hey macro algaes are colorful and cheaper than corals and my existing light is good enough. Then I thought, I miss home, what about macroalgae native to florida? Then I thought, why not a Florida pico biotope?

But I've been having a hard time coming up with the right google terms to find the feeshies to be contenders for the resident fish.

Anyone know of any appropriately sized fish for a 4 gallon evolve? Or the google terms I should be using?

Thanks! :)

Molly miller blennies stay small for awhile and they are very dorky fish.

The masked gobies and neon gobies are pretty good for that size also.

Arkayology, thanks for the link. I came accross them earlier can gave me a decent starting point. Thanks for the other suggestions james , I'm looking into them. I kind of want stay away from neons though and go with a more unique fish.

Is there an inch size I can go with? I found this site that sells fish from key west, http://www.divertom.com/In_Stock_List.php but there are different fish that arn't very common in the LFS. There are some small basses 1-3" full grown I'm interested in. But I don't know if that's too big to be a solo resident. Judging by the size of the neon gobies and other sizes of fish recommended for my tank size, it seems like it'd be the max size my tank can handle when grown. However, there are people say you can't keep damsels in a 4 gallon and they are the same length as some of the recommended gobies. It's all very confusing. :-/

Any good rule of thumb to stick to?

Psychosis

A more active fish needs a larger tank, and perching/less active fish can be kept in smaller tanks. One 1" fish is all over the place and needs room, the other really only swims for food. It's all ways a case by case basis with fish.

Damsels do get much larger than people usually think, but you also have to think about the bioload.

It's all going to be macro algae, probably no corals. So it should help some more than normal with nutrient export and of course regular water changes. I'll be doing small daily changes instead of top offs. He'll also be the only vertebrate in the tank, I don't plan on anything else that will need supplemental feeding. I've never had a damsel, so I don't know how much bigger than they actually get. But my clowns stayed much smaller than what people usually think lol. So I guess it swings either way. Is there an inch size you would suggest to keep in mind?

So I guess it swings either way.

They could stay smaller but there is always the chance that you get monster damsel. :lol: The largest one I have seen was a little bit larger than a coral beauty. IMO that is too big for a 4 gallon no matter what the dimensions.

Is there an inch size you would suggest to keep in mind?

That "rule" doesn't apply in saltwater it hardly applies in freshwater husbandry ;)

They could stay smaller but there is always the chance that you get monster damsel. :lol: The largest one I have seen was a little bit larger than a coral beauty. IMO that is too big for a 4 gallon no matter what the dimensions.

Holy crap, that's a big damsel. lol Yeah, if I got a fish that went Yao Ming on me, it'd have to go back to the fish store. lol

That "rule" doesn't apply in saltwater it hardly applies in freshwater husbandry ;)

Figures. <_< Well, in that case, maybe I should just get a tang... :D (j/k)

Hey, have you ever been to DeLand? I grew up there. Gah! I miss it soooooo bad. Eat a publix sub for me. I just now realized you live in delrico. But I'd take it over the freaking desert!

Hey, have you ever been to DeLand?

I'm afraid of walking the streets of DeLand at Night unless it is the area around the College. :ninja: Never going back.....

I grew up there. Gah! I miss it soooooo bad. Eat a publix sub for me.

I'm sure that it was a wonderful place when you lived there but I would never go there unless I had to..

I just now realized you live in delrico. But I'd take it over the freaking desert!

:haha: Delrico!!!! My supervisor calls it that. I miss Sacramento but it isn't too bad here.

lmao. I go back every year. I would always pick deland over delrico. You're the first person I've met from deltona that prefers deltona to deland. Maybe it's because you're not a florida native? Abbey's in downtown deland has a lot of good beers on tap and they usually have either bands or game nights every night. Great place to hang out. The Brickhouse and DaVinci's are also good. I would never walk around the college area at night. It's too far from people if anything happens o.O You just seem to have done the deland thing wrong. lol

and stay away from JRs unless you like watching drunk fat "country" girls dancing "sexy" line dances or like mexican dances. :wacko:

How you gonna do a Florida tank and no Ricordea? Come on man!

I know, it's must be like breaking some sort of law somewhere.

There are some very small blenny and goby species that'll do very well in that setup.

Try this species

Coryphopterus personatus - masked goby

or

Acanthemblemaria macrospilus - barnacle blennies

If they can claim a Caribbean origin, then FL isn't too far off the mark. Of the two species, I've only ever seen, large gravid females approach the 2" mark, and still they are a slender fish. A mated pair of either species would be pretty sweet.

There is always the neon goby, which I happen to think is extremely charming, easy to find, inexpensive, and darn pretty.

Jawfish will get too big and require too much sand. Chalk bass really are their best when kept in a pack. There are other solitary species of basslets, but they really get too large for an evolve.

Duh, can you tell I've done the Caribbean thing before? Do yourself a favor, get a nicer light. The Evolve has terrible color temperature. I'm using the 4W innovative marine in my 2g Spec and I really think that that light would do justice to a nice 4g macro-dominated Caribbean tank. If you don't go past ricordea and other Caribbean mushies and zoas, you won't need a further upgrade. The colors on the 4W are stunning. Sometimes they sell rics a $6 a head online.

L

• 4 weeks later...

Archived