Cultivated Reef

Islandoftiki's Peacock Mantis

Islandoftiki

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks, ccapasso It worked. I hate that Photobucket has bandwidth limits! Boooooo ...

She is looking beautiful Tiki! :wub:

It still isn't working grrrr can I have a link? Lol

Oh thank god never mind...stupid apple products..... She is so pretty tiki!

Getting her smasher back I see?

Islandoftiki

Oh thank god never mind...stupid apple products..... She is so pretty tiki!

Getting her smasher back I see?

Yep, she's got a 1/3 scale raptorial appendage on that side now. By the next two or three molts, it should be back to completely normal.

Islandoftiki

Holy moley that is one incredible pic!!!!!!!!

Not bad for a Galaxy S3 phone, eh?

The hardest thing about getting good pics of Betty is the lighting. Her tank is too dark to get good pictures, but she gets annoyed if you put a light on the tank for pictures (as I did in that picture) and usually hides out in her den. It's difficult to have enough light and get her to come out at the same time.

• 2 weeks later...
Islandoftiki

Just for fun, here's 6 minutes of your life you won't get back...

This video shows the second section of crushed coral that I've removed and replaced with a mix of finer grain substrates. I'm doing it in small sections so I don't disturb too much all at once.

This should ultimately help with the constant nitrate battle I'm having in the tank. The crushed coral holds too much detritus and makes keeping the nitrates under 5ppm a bigger job than I'd like... It's certainly a lot more work than my other tanks which usually read 1-2 ppm with normal weekly water changes.

Islandoftiki

Yep, a big fat siphon tube works well.

And if it clogs, just put your finger over the outlet end to stop the flow into the bucket and it will usually unclog. It clogged several times on me in the video.

Mr. Microscope

Cool. ..and of course, your mantis had to pop out and say, "hello" to your siphon tube. lol! Your damsel what like, "wth?!"

Islandoftiki

Cool. ..and of course, your mantis had to pop out and say, "hello" to your siphon tube. lol! Your damsel what like, "wth?!"

The first time I did this, she hit the siphon tube so hard that it startled me. I mean, it's a soft vinyl tube and the shock wave that went through it was truly impressive.

Mr. Microscope

Yeah, I was surprised how steady your hand remained. I would have pulled it out of there the moment I saw it come out of its home (and ran across the room screaming like a little girl lol). Great video. I'm glad you're replacing your substrate.

Islandoftiki

Yeah, I was surprised how steady your hand remained. I would have pulled it out of there the moment I saw it come out of its home (and ran across the room screaming like a little girl lol). Great video. I'm glad you're replacing your substrate.

She's pretty laid back. She gets a little weirded out by new things, but my hand is nothing new to her. I fed her by hand again the other day. I think as long as I keep my hand at least a couple inches from her den, I should be just fine.

Here's a funny one:

Last night, she was sitting with her head out of the den like normal. I came up to the tank and she seemed a little uninterested so I wiggled my finger up and down in front of where she was. Suddenly her head started bobbing up and down at the same speed as my finger and she zipped out of her den and up to the glass. No idea what was going on there, but it was cute and funny. She quietly went back into her den and resumed her indifferent watch.

Islandoftiki

I thought you all might enjoy this. My fiance does a lot of pottery work and as a present to me, she did a series of mantis shrimp coffee mugs! These are based on our O. Scyllarus and our G. Ternatensis. The pictures don't do them justice.

0336A25E-orig_zps16c853b8.jpg

E481D63A-orig_zpsc362aab9.jpg

Archived