Cultivated Reef

Countdown to PicO II

dhartmann

Damn that thing is nice!! I've had good luck with my manual refrac so I don't need to upgrade but yours is so much cooler. With the mp10 you probably won't even need to baste the rock as much. Every water change I squirt all my rocks and nothing comes off lol I attribute this to my Mp10 being a badass. Tank is looking great!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
dhartmann

The thing I'm struggling with now is whether or not phosban in a bag is effective. I put 1/3 cup in a week ago when my phosphates were measuring .07. One week later I'm at .08. I know my tank is only 2 1/2 weeks old but I would have thought the levels would be reduced by now??? Anyone have any thoughts.

The thing I'm struggling with now is whether or not phosban in a bag is effective. I put 1/3 cup in a week ago when my phosphates were measuring .07. One week later I'm at .08. I know my tank is only 2 1/2 weeks old but I would have thought the levels would be reduced by now??? Anyone have any thoughts.

Hmm, maybe you need to up the dose a tad. Also since you have the mp10 now you won't have so much crap accumulating so you can filter it out. That might be part of the problem.
dhartmann
Hmm, maybe you need to up the dose a tad. Also since you have the mp10 now you won't have so much crap accumulating so you can filter it out. That might be part of the problem.

I may up the dose...I don't think .08 is too bad, but I'd rather have it under .05. I hate the thought of having bad algae! Thx.

Passaggper
D-D seawater something something. I'm too lazy to go look at it. Hoping to trade it to the LFS for some store credit.

Wtf. That's what I have. Seems okay to me. I think it is weird that I have to almost totally unscrew the eye piece to focus it but it seems to read consistently. Using natural sunlight seems to be important.

dhartmann
Wtf. That's what I have. Seems okay to me. I think it is weird that I have to almost totally unscrew the eye piece to focus it but it seems to read consistently. Using natural sunlight seems to be important.

It's probably user error more than anything. Glad it's working for you !

Duncan and hammer really opened up..need to mount these guys this weekend. 2 gallon water change tomorrow for weekly maint. and I think I'm getting my first fish as well.

post-22976-0-03742000-1368146885_thumb.jpg

Whatcha getting?!?!

I think I want a firefish. I've done the clown fish thing so I don't want one of those, thinking a orange firefish and eventually a tailspot blenny.

Picked up a firefish at the LFS on the way home last night. My 8 year old son named him/her Spark. After a 30 minute acclimation I netted him and in the tank he went. Had lights off for 30 more minutes, then turned them on. He immediately came out of the rocks and started exploring...bumping into the glass and looking for food. I wasn't going to,feed him until today but he was so active I decided to mix up a little mysis and target feed him...he went nuts and ate it all! Off to a good start with Spark! Pix later today.

Deleted User 4

Hmmmmmm... Those Nuvos look pretty sexy! :D

Get a picO if you have the money. I've owned a picO before and I can assure you picO's quality is twice or more better than a nuvo's quality.

The only thing I like about the nuvo is that it is cheap imo. And the design looks pretty modern stylish in a way. But their silicone job is a mess!! And I've seen some nuvo's shipped/delivered to others' doorsteps in the worst physical state of mind. Some come with chipped edges, defects before packaging etc. Sooo, best option if you ever go nuvo is to see that tank in person and have a definite inspection before purchasing one.

But again. PicO's quality is superbbb compared to nuvo.

PicoPerson

Get a picO if you have the money. I've owned a picO before and I can assure you picO's quality is twice or more better than a nuvo's quality.

The only thing I like about the nuvo is that it is cheap imo. And the design looks pretty modern stylish in a way. But their silicone job is a mess!! And I've seen some nuvo's shipped/delivered to others' doorsteps in the worst physical state of mind. Some come with chipped edges, defects before packaging etc. Sooo, best option if you ever go nuvo is to see that tank in person and have a definite inspection before purchasing one.

But again. PicO's quality is superbbb compared to nuvo.

Agreed. The Nuvo looks really nice, but the PicO's excel in quality.

• 1 month later...

It's been a while...tank is doing great (Knock on Wood). Added a flame prawn goby (only see him during dawn and dusk periods hunting pods) and a frogspawn coral. Planning on adding a tailspot blenny as my final fish. Here are a few photos from the side.

I did not take the flame prawn goby picture...he has not stayed in the open long enough for me to catch him!

post-22976-0-75152500-1371490912_thumb.jpg

post-22976-0-99512300-1371490945_thumb.jpg

post-22976-0-58319400-1371490989_thumb.jpg

post-22976-0-06300100-1371491023_thumb.jpg

Archived