Coral Vue Hydros

Countdown to PicO II

dhartmann

Deleted User 4

I went with this larger and taller piece that I thought had a lot of interesting shapes:

7RCGRps.jpg

Side Picture One ; Side Picture Two

Here it is in the tank (soon to be retired for a custom PicO); It *should* fit in the custom tank, too:

KCKKuIT.jpg

Your VidaRock looks great in the cube! Any more aquascaping done with the liverock? Picture with cleared up water for us?

Nice vidarock. How much did that set you back?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
dhartmann

Zrogst, took your advice! Added one Astraea snail and picked up a baby green hammer coral. Dipped it about two hours ago and it's already about 3/4 open. So far so good! Pix soon when lights are on.

Deleted User 4

I want to say it was $130? Overpriced for sure.

I think that was well spent though...best vida rock/scape I've ever seen.

Zrogst, took your advice! Added one Astraea snail and picked up a baby green hammer coral. Dipped it about two hours ago and it's already about 3/4 open. So far so good! Pix soon when lights are on.

How are things going now that the hammer has had a few days?

dhartmann

How are things going now that the hammer has had a few days?

So far so good...it's fully open and ate some chopped mysis already! I'm trying to get the lighting figured out now. I have my AI nano maxing out at 35 w, 40 b, and 40 rb. For about 4 hours...ramping up and down to that level an additional 5 hours. I'm the hammer closely.

Yeah watch him close - those are still pretty strong levels. I max mine at 20/35/35 and I use the Coral Acclimation option on the controller each time I add a piece (Most of the LFS still use MH or T5s)

dhartmann

I may crank it down some if your settings are where they are. How are you setting your timers? Thanks!

I set it to Region setup (and selected Florida Keys) with 4hr ramp time; I also have a lunar cycle and a small % chance of weather effects. You're using the new firmware for the controller right?

dhartmann

I forgot to update the firmware! I'm going to do that now. Here's a pic of the frag...my blues are mostly on so it's blue.

post-22976-0-63623700-1367695025_thumb.jpg

Nice, it looks like a head of Euphyllia paraancora ; Should be very easy to frag for you once it grows out.

Once you update the firmware you will be so happy :) It's like a completely different controller. Takes all of a half dozen taps and I haven't touched the thing in weeks.

dhartmann

Updated successfully! Thanks for reminding me. How many hours do you run your lights? Can you set it to begin the cycle later in the day? Man, I need to read up on this new firmware!

dhartmann

New addition...branching Green Duncan, next to my hammer. Added one more Astraea snail today as well.

post-22976-0-15184500-1367713094_thumb.jpg

Deleted User 4

Hmmm the vida rock on the left looks great. But the live rock on the right looks...don't know what to say aha. Are you using the live rock to speed the cycle?

dhartmann

Good idea...I have about 13 lbs live rock/vida rock so I think I'll pull the two pieces on the ends and open it up more. I think 10 lbs of rock and my live sand should be plenty of bio filtration. Also, installed my MP 10 last night...love it! It's on the lagoon mode and I put it in night mode at...night lol. Make sure you guys blow off your rocks with a turkey blaster once or twice a week, it's amazing how much junk accumulates on the rock, can't be good to let it build up (nitrate and phosphate city)!

jcusmarine

Good buy on the MP10. I had one on my last setup and it was great. Will be getting another soon.

+1 on blasting the rocks with the Turkey Baster. That plus good water movement and regular WC's you are golden.

Looking forward to watching the progress....

dhartmann

New toy arrived today. My manual refractometer seemed to read differently every time I measured a sample. It would even move around when reading the same sample twice in a row (I made sure I cleaned the prism before each reading so it should have been consistent. I can't wait to get home and try this out!

post-22976-0-27192800-1368045566_thumb.jpg

dhartmann
New toy arrived today. My manual refractometer seemed to read differently every time I measured a sample. It would even move around when reading the same sample twice in a row (I made sure I cleaned the prism before each reading so it should have been consistent. I can't wait to get home and try this out!

All right, I used my new refractometer and all I can say is...woot! This thing is so easy to use. Calibrated with RODI and then tank water...1.25 SG, then I recall rated my manual refractometer and it read 1.23 with a fuzzy line. I have always thought the water had a higher salinity than my refractometer measured and now I know. I guess the meaning of this story is if anyone is considering a refractometer, I highly recommend spending an extra $50 or so for this unit. It's so easy to use and provides peace of mind!

Passaggper

All right, I used my new refractometer and all I can say is...woot! This thing is so easy to use. Calibrated with RODI and then tank water...1.25 SG, then I recall rated my manual refractometer and it read 1.23 with a fuzzy line. I have always thought the water had a higher salinity than my refractometer measured and now I know. I guess the meaning of this story is if anyone is considering a refractometer, I highly recommend spending an extra $50 or so for this unit. It's so easy to use and provides peace of mind!

Ugh. I almost bought this but I wanted the PicO skimmer instead. What refractometer were you using?

dhartmann
Ugh. I almost bought this but I wanted the PicO skimmer instead. What refractometer were you using?

D-D seawater something something. I'm too lazy to go look at it. Hoping to trade it to the LFS for some store credit.

Archived