ReefCleaners.org

Favorite Public Aquarium?

Blubbernaut

Blubbernaut

The Monteray Bay aquarium has a huge "open ocean" tank that I think is a quarter million gallons. Pretty cool to visit, and it has sharks and sunfish, as well as sardines (I think) grouping together to form swirling schools.

That one is actually 1 million g's. And yeah, that's my favorite exhibit at the MBA.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That one is actually 1 million g's. And yeah, that's my favorite exhibit at the MBA.

and huge tuna! what i would give to be sitting up to with a rod and reel :)

icedearth15324

Being a Chicago native the Shedd is nice, however they lack in reef exhibits. They added a big one a few years ago, but until then there wasn't a lot of saltwater. They specialize in freshwater, especially fish that are native to the area, and their specialized exhibits like the Amazon one.

I've been to Monteray Bay, and it didn't seem impressive to me when I went, but I also have a different appreciation of aquariums than I did when I was 10.

I'll be going to the Pittsburgh aquarium soon so I'll see how that is, and I have an article that lists the top aquariums in the U.S. saved in a bookmark. They are all on my list to visit someday.

Blubbernaut

and huge tuna! what i would give to be sitting up to with a rod and reel :)

That would be decently entertaining, but there isn't room enough for the tunas to actually fight that much. But it would be fun to catch one of the hammerheads.

Archived