Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Favorite Public Aquarium?

Blubbernaut

I was just at the S.E.A aquarium in Singapore 3 weeks ago. It is the new largest aquarium in the world. It was truely mind blowing. I would say 99% of it was saltwater as well. A few tanks for cichlids and that was it. They have a panel there that is something like 120 feet long by 30 feet high.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Blubbernaut

They have a panel there that is something like 120 feet long by 30 feet high.

How many gallons was their largest tank? It would have to be pretty ginormous to beat the GA Aquarium at 6 1/3 MILLION gallons.

Definitely the Steinhart/ CA Academy of Sciences. In addition to the awesome tropical aquarium with cuttlefish and ghost pipefish and octopuses, they have exhibits with snakes, turtles, and a giant jungle dome where you can see the different level of the jungle. Goes from a pond at the bottom to spiders and frogs at the top. There are actually a few free-roaming frogs and butterflies.

That's awesome. Although Whale Sharks are right up there with Orcas; no tank is really big enough. It's a personal preference.

Although is they are there I would have no problem seeing them.

That's awesome. Although Whale Sharks are right up there with Orcas; no tank is really big enough.

Tell that to the people putting a pair of clowns in a pico ;)

eddiecorrea

I understand the whole "Tank too small battle" but for clowns it doesn't really apply IMO or experience. I wouldn't put any in less than 5 gallons but they do fine in anything bigger. Most clowns don't swim much. Hang out within 12 or so inches of their anemone or whatever they host. When they don't host is when you really have a problem. I know my clown wont go more than a few inches from her anemone.

So many to list. Georgia's big tank is probably the single most impressive exhibit I've ever seen. Atlantis Marine World/Long Island has the nicest captive, closed system reef exhibit. Waikiki has the nicest reef exhibit period, plus how can you not love all the mega-rare fish they have. Shedd has very nice rainforest/freshwater displays. Omaha is perhaps the nicest zoo/aquarium combo in the country in my opinion (and well worth the SEVEN dollar entrance fee!). Monterey has by the far the overall highest quality exhibits and interpretation of any aquarium I've ever been to.

I've been to a few overseas...Dubai, Durban, Manila, and Sydney. They were nice enough, but I feel like we have a bit higher standards here. I've never been to an aquarium in Japan but I hear they are among the world's best.

Having said all that I wish no one was keeping cetaceans, whale sharks, or great white sharks in captivity, period.

How many gallons was their largest tank? It would have to be pretty ginormous to beat the GA Aquarium at 6 1/3 MILLION gallons.

Not sure how many gallons the big tank is. All together they have over 12 millions gallons total. I think georgia is around 8 million total

I've only been to one public aquarium that wasn't part of a theme park so I guess Scripps birch aquarium gets my vote by default. I really want to see the Cal academy of sciences though, and Monterrey bay while I'm in the area.

I've been meaning to check out the Long island aquarium in river head, has anyone been?

Yes. It is a very nice aquarium and has probably the world's nicest reef display in it. 20,000 gallons. Definitely go.

li4k028.jpg

Yes. It is a very nice aquarium and has probably the world's nicest reef display in it. 20,000 gallons. Definitely go.

li4k028.jpg

World's nicest reef? Is anyone going to challenge that?

Blubbernaut

World's nicest reef? Is anyone going to challenge that?

I would have to say that goes to CA Academy. If I'm not mistaken, all the coral is live in their Phillipines display.

I would have to say that goes to CA Academy. If I'm not mistaken, all the coral is live in their Phillipines display.

Well that is very flattering but the tank at AMW is much much nicer IMO. Bigger older colonies of coral and the exhibit looks like a real reef. Ours is a much bigger tank of course but we have several more years to go before it reaches its full potential.

The Waikiki reef is probably neck and neck with the AMW tank but those guys are cheating by just piping in natural sea water. :P

And yes, you are correct that all the coral is live with the exception of a couple fake sea fans in the dark cave section of the tank. I think on our last count we have well over 1000 colonies of live coral in the exhibit.

I have only been to Monterey Bay Aquarium when I was like 6, but from what I remember it was pretty cool and probably what got me interested in aquariums.

I saw a white shark there and sea lions. :lol: (in the Bay part not in their tank)

mandarin_goby

I like the Baltimore Aquarium. The worst I've been to was the Mote Aquarium in Sarasota.

Speaking if awful aquariums, there's this old dinky one in DC. I was so disappointed :( You have the amazing National Zoo, and then this old relic of an aquarium in the nation's capital.

The little drive further to Baltimore is totally worth it just for the aquarium!

The Monteray Bay aquarium has a huge "open ocean" tank that I think is a quarter million gallons. Pretty cool to visit, and it has sharks and sunfish, as well as sardines (I think) grouping together to form swirling schools.

Archived