Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

55° of Coolness - Micro-reefs 2g Temperate Tank

ccapasso

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Islandoftiki

That looks like a little slice of the Oregon/Washington coast right there.

All was well today when I came back into the office. All livestock from the first shipment is in and doing well.

Being that I used live rock and live sand (provide by the awesome guys at CWMA!), I should have a very small cycle I believe.

I'll probably redo the scape a bit but for now, it is just a waiting game for a few months before ordering all of the other goodies :).

I wonder if Catalina gobies would do well in this kind of setup... I keep seeing them come in at a couple of stores, and the only thing holding me back is that they'll likely slow-roast in my tropical reef tank.

As for your temperature variances... don't sweat it (see, I can play Tiki's game, too!). ;) Many intertidal species deal with far greater temperature deltas as, well, tides come in/go out. That sculpin looks awesome!

Apparently it was cold in the office over the weekend. Came in this morning and the tank was at 46 degrees! Everything is alive and well though :).

I adjusted the chiller so that it will stop at 55. This should prevent it from getting that cold again.

In other news, looks like a few hitch hikers were on the Live Rock and Sand. There are a few tiny white things (kind of look like feather dusters but looking at the website may be Plumose Anemone?) and what appear to be 2 tiny strawberry anemone.

The snails all have barnacles on them that seem to be quite alive and happy. The hermits, well they are constantly trying to get into the snails :).

And just like that things changed, lol!

It would appear that I am now one less hermit! Seems that one of them decided to eat the other as there are legs and an empty shell.

AquaticEngineer

Keep an eye out, those guys molt and swap shells pretty often. He may still be lurking in the shadows ;)

In other news, looks like a few hitch hikers were on the Live Rock and Sand. There are a few tiny white things (kind of look like feather dusters but looking at the website may be Plumose Anemone?) and what appear to be 2 tiny strawberry anemone.

I tried to grab you mostly small pieces from the established areas of our system, I figured you'd get a few extras that way ;)

And this morning we have 2 crabs again, lol.

Speaking of hermits, do they like to eat barnacles? These guys are practically attached to the top of the snails constantly grabbing at the barnacles.

AquaticEngineer

I've been watching my little hermits a lot more now that I have a tank next to the computer. I think they will take whatever is the easiest food for them to get while exerting the least amount of energy.

In other words, coldwater hermit crabs are lazy. :lol:

Mine just keep pulling small strands of algae off of my surfgrass until I toss food in there and then they go retarded. :blink:

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Chris,

I am pleased to see your system started and glad you reset the controller to stop at 55 F degrees. You reported about 16 degrees variance when the tank hit 60 F degrees that is standard for our tests.

We held 14-18 degrees variance on the 2 gallon system.

We had our highest room temps hit 85 degrees and the system was 67 F degrees 18 degrees variance... We never had the system enter 70 degrees, close 69 F but it stayed there...

We had no central AC at all, so we were at the mercy of what the chiller could hold...

Cold water inter-tidal stuff are tough! But just remember one thing that I tell all my customers who venture into cold water reefing:

WHEREAS PATIENCE IS KEY IN TROPICAL REEFING .... PATIENCE IS MANDATORY IN COLD WATER REEFING....

I wonder if Catalina gobies would do well in this kind of setup... I keep seeing them come in at a couple of stores, and the only thing holding me back is that they'll likely slow-roast in my tropical reef tank.

As for your temperature variances... don't sweat it (see, I can play Tiki's game, too!). ;) Many intertidal species deal with far greater temperature deltas as, well, tides come in/go out. That sculpin looks awesome!

If you get a chance please check out our thread on the 2 gallon temperate system under Biotopes, we added the Catalina goby and it flourished in our system!

We brought it home from a local LFS, the goby was sluggish and appeared sad at the store, and I was scared when I floated the bag in cold water, I thought I was going to kill him, nope!

He sprung into life, we kept him happy in 55 F degrees of COOLNESS.... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived