Pod Your Reef

55° of Coolness - Micro-reefs 2g Temperate Tank

ccapasso

They've been great to talk to on the phone. It just seems email is a bit slower to respond to.

I understand they are busy so no real worries.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Hey, another Micro-reefs tank near me! Mine's tropical though. lol

Just curious, Mike how many of your tanks are in Ohio that you can think of off the top of your head? LOL

Don't I owe you the tabs for your canopy? I cannnot remember but I think you require them and I never sent them. Can you send me a PM so I can send them out ASAP!

Thanks,

MG

p.s

I have a few systems in Ohio.. :)

They've been great to talk to on the phone. It just seems email is a bit slower to respond to.

I understand they are busy so no real worries.

I will send them a friendly reminder, they are always happy to jump into areas they might have overlooked. Josh and Stu are the best set of reefers I have had the opportunity to meet and work with... :)

AquaticEngineer

Sorry for the delay on that, we've been transitioning to a new holding system and just got it stocked back up today. I will shoot you an email here in just a bit :D

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Awesome!

I am really looking forward to seeing this cold water reef come alive! I will join you soon, almost done with my SPS system and then it's back to my favorite reefing, COLD WATER! :)

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

You will love this guy so much! He became my favorite fish when he arrived.

They sent me a tiny guy not much bigger than 2 thumb size nails.

He was the star of my 2 gallon. He had two friends with him a tiny gunnel and a California goby.

That was the beginning of my passion for Cold Water Reefing.

Thanks guys!

Looking forward to getting this going. I will be out of the office tomorrow but plan on bringing in water for the tank to get the temp down to 55 and hopefully keep it there.

Just seeing how active ColdWaterMarine is here in your thread (And as a whole their internet presence. They even visit a thread in my local reefing forum on RC!) makes me want a temperate tank.

Well. That and coldwater anemones. Christ temperate anemones are awesome.

JoshColdWater

Just seeing how active ColdWaterMarine is here in your thread (And as a whole their internet presence. They even visit a thread in my local reefing forum on RC!) makes me want a temperate tank.

Well. That and coldwater anemones. Christ temperate anemones are awesome.

Thanks we try! Stew is better at keeping up with online threads but I chime in now and then, and yes I agree cold water nems are great! Check out our facebook to see some European stock you can order!

AquaticEngineer

Its hard not to ;) I was on most of these forums before I even had a coldwater tank, and I documented just about all of my personal experiences on here as I went.

I kind of eat, sleep, and breath coldwater.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Your 2 gallon will not have a problem getting down to 55 F degrees, I did it with thinner acrylic than yours.

Yours is 3/8 inch material far better than what I used, 3/16 inch.

I know yours will do great!

55 F degrees of Coolness don't forget we coined that phrase and I wore t-shirt at the show. :)

We have water!

JEGaB1H.jpg

Just put the water in at lunch. Will not be ready for livestock next week. Need to work on tuning cooler to get it to 55. I'm out of the office tomorrow so will not be able to work on more until Monday.

Came back into the office from the weekend and good news:

The tank is at 54.5 degrees!

Turned the light on and watching for any changes.

Well, tank is not holding at 55. Even with the chiller turned up all the way and running constantly. It is now at 60....

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Came back into the office from the weekend and good news: The tank is at 54.5 degrees! Turned the light on and watching for any changes.

Awesome!

You have 3/8" inch acrylic on the 2 gallon. When we did our trials I achieved 55 F degrees with 3/16" acrylic that was originally for our tropical tanks.

So, you will have better insulation than us! Your chiller should get a small break in the night as the temps drop.

You will see temps go up and down, do not worry it's okay!

The inter-tidal critters/anemones that CWMA get do very well in this tank. I remember we had really high ambient temps in our room where the 2 gallon was exposed to 90 + in our room and our 2 gallon got at high as 67 F degrees and then back down to 55 degrees in the night.

There were ZERO casualties! THE COLD WATER INTER-TIDAL GUYS ARE STRONG!

I am really watching your thread and anything you need from us, please let us know!

Sincerely,

MG

Well, tank is not holding at 55. Even with the chiller turned up all the way and running constantly. It is now at 60....

Do not worry!

You have not added sand, live rocks etc. When you add all your rocks and sand you are going to drive down the water volume which will allow the chiller to cool less.

Your water volume is much higher right now.

When the water cools down to 55 degrees it brings down the sand and live rock to that level, those items must release their values before the temps rise again.

Keep us posted!

MG

Thanks all.

Room temp is 76.6 and tank is 60.

I'm not too worried honestly. A 5 degree swing isn't a big thing really. That and as Mike stated, I still have to add the rock and sand.

Archived