ReefCleaners.org

Hi energy macro/invert lagoon

Subsea

This is my favorite new tank. It is a standard 55G tank set up with 1" aroggonite with a grain size between 2mm-5mm. With this course substrate, I use Drawf Cerith, micro blue leg hermits as janitors. I would include the Lyretail Creamcycle Mollies as herbivore janitors. This tank now has micro hermits which have come thru some juvenile developement with introduction of uncured GOM farmed rock that has been curated for 75 days in these lagoon systems.

I hope that you enjoy the pictures. I am busting at the seems to show these simple, effective natural systems. Please ask questions to encourage a dialogue. The complete set up cost $500 with used T5 at $100. While I have had stellar photosynthesis with artificial lighting PAR values at 55, to better show the lagoons, I have added a 70W LED stick that cost $275. I do not normally buy lights of his caliber. It was a gift from a friend for services rendered. Thank you Tim. I hope that you enjoy the pictures.

Patrick

post-77197-0-18265900-1362276357_thumb.jpg

post-77197-0-23587500-1362276381_thumb.jpg

post-77197-0-66785600-1362276405_thumb.jpg

post-77197-0-05572300-1362276428_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Initially, this tank was cycled with substrate only in tank. Using air uplift on one end with 500 GPH cannistar filter output at surface aimed at oppossite end, a vigorous vertical loop current carried Red Ogo in a tumble culture. On the oppossite end of tank an Aquaclear 300 HOB provides a vertical shear current that turns loop current back to the other side. With no obstacles in tank the momentum of this vertical loop current built up until the velocity exceeded 1 foot per second. The seaweed that was brought in to cycle this tank was loaded with pods. To complete the cycle with nutrient input, I added a dozen mollies and feed heavy. While not directly measurable, the in tank circulation easily achieved 3000 GPH, about 60 tank volumns per hour. After a two week cycle, the seaweed was removed and live rock was added. The circulation is still high at about 20 tank volumes.Patrick

Initially, this tank was cycled with substrate only in tank. Using air uplift on one end with 500 GPH cannistar filter output at surface aimed at oppossite end, a vigorous vertical loop current carried Red Ogo in a tumble culture. On the oppossite end of tank an Aquaclear 300 HOB provides a vertical shear current that turns loop current back to the other side. With no obstacles in tank the momentum of this vertical loop current built up until the velocity exceeded 1 foot per second. The seaweed that was brought in to cycle this tank was loaded with pods. To complete the cycle with nutrient input, I added a dozen mollies and feed heavy. While not directly measurable, the in tank circulation easily achieved 3000 GPH, about 60 tank volumns per hour. After a two week cycle, the seaweed was removed and live rock was added. The circulation is still high at about 20 tank volumes.Patrick

post-77197-0-52875300-1367154403_thumb.jpg

post-77197-0-11321800-1367154435_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Archived