inTank Media Baskets

Steve's LEDs installation help Biocube

Gauge

I didn't install a controller...I'm still pretty new to the saltwater fish world and the tech. What would be the benefits of the controller? Just automated on/off? Does it controll the dimming as well?

Update: I got the Moonlight kit in the mail today, I haven't installed it yet but will shortly. It is pretty cool! I'd say for $25 it is a heck of a deal. They also sent me a cool laser pointer with a blue led and flashlight option as well since my stuff got flubbed a bit. So far I'm happy with everything!

I like the way I mounted the LED night lights on my setup more than the way they recommended. With their recommendation, the LEDs lit up only the front of the tank.

Where are you going to mount the night lights?

I did it like yours...at least I think I did. I just put one strip between each row of LEDs. Lights up the tank just fine. When I first turned it on I hit strobe and the fish started wigging out...hah. Looks good though.

I didn't install a controller...I'm still pretty new to the saltwater fish world and the tech. What would be the benefits of the controller? Just automated on/off? Does it controll the dimming as well?

Update: I got the Moonlight kit in the mail today, I haven't installed it yet but will shortly. It is pretty cool! I'd say for $25 it is a heck of a deal. They also sent me a cool laser pointer with a blue led and flashlight option as well since my stuff got flubbed a bit. So far I'm happy with everything!

It's a fairly simple item to install. You just need some 20ga soild core wire, heat shrink tubing, and wire strippers (lol I said strippers).

It controls time On Time Off, Max % of intensity (you leave your dimmer knobs so you can tweak the colors if you'd like) and it also allows for a fade in (sunrise) and fade out (sunset) feature. It's really simple to set up and best of all it's inexpensive. I can post pics of it if that would help.

The controller IS the chip. StevesLED is working on it but I think for the moment you'll have to buy it from BOOSTled.

If you need the instructions drop me a PM .

• 8 months later...

Old thread I know, but with dimmers only and no controller, how do you turn it in and off?

In know a simple question, but since there is only 1 power supply, and the fan, in wondered how it is switched?

My oceanic 29 kit is in the way and should be here tomorrow.

Old thread I know, but with dimmers only and no controller, how do you turn it in and off?

In know a simple question, but since there is only 1 power supply, and the fan, in wondered how it is switched?

My oceanic 29 kit is in the way and should be here tomorrow.

Use a simple light timer...

• Like 1

Use a simple light timer...

Hummm... I was trying to get away from having 2 power supplies. I guess I could use 1 timer, a typhon, and set the time the same as the typhon that way the fab doesn't run all the time.. Right? Otherwise it's on direct current from the PS all the time?

Hummm... I was trying to get away from having 2 power supplies. I guess I could use 1 timer, a typhon, and set the time the same as the typhon that way the fab doesn't run all the time.. Right? Otherwise it's on direct current from the PS all the time?

If using a typhon controller then there is no need for a timer, but I was responding to the mention of manual dimmers and a single power supply - this won't let you have a dawn/ dusk effect. A controller would of course, and not need a timer. If using manual dimmers, two power supplies would allow you to run them on timers and get a crude dawn/ dusk, but it is not really necessary for most organisms to be honest.

• 7 years later...
On 2/15/2013 at 3:59 PM, Gauge said:

Hey guys, I got my retrofit installation kit for my 14 gallon oceanic biocube and I'm having some problems. I have been trying to get ahold of them via their website and phone number for a couple hours and haven't been able to so I'm posting on here.

The online directions do not list instructions specifically for the oceanic version so it looks different than what I was sent. I got the kit 95% completed and the screw holes in the heatsink that line up with the hood only 2 of the screws fit, the other 2 are too small for the hood and the predrilled holes in the heatsink won't accomadate a larger screw if I go buy one myself.

I've been having to look between 2-3 of the installation guides on their website to try to figure out how to install it and I'm not having any luck. One guide tells me I need to remove the half the ribs off the hood's vents and another doesn't. It doesn't help the fact that they didn't send me the moonlighting system I purchased, but I still got charged for it. Just making me nervous about the whole experience. Anyone able to help me with the installation since I can't get ahold of them?

Steve's is JOKE days for reply's not phone number when it comes to the 14 gallon oceanic biocube took a month to get mine and it looks like its not made correct and no instructions whatso ever going to have MacGyver it and should NOT have to do this for something that costs as much as this did. In my opinion a complete waste of money.