inTank Media Baskets

Steve's LEDs installation help Biocube

Gauge

Hey guys, I got my retrofit installation kit for my 14 gallon oceanic biocube and I'm having some problems. I have been trying to get ahold of them via their website and phone number for a couple hours and haven't been able to so I'm posting on here.

The online directions do not list instructions specifically for the oceanic version so it looks different than what I was sent. I got the kit 95% completed and the screw holes in the heatsink that line up with the hood only 2 of the screws fit, the other 2 are too small for the hood and the predrilled holes in the heatsink won't accomadate a larger screw if I go buy one myself.

I've been having to look between 2-3 of the installation guides on their website to try to figure out how to install it and I'm not having any luck. One guide tells me I need to remove the half the ribs off the hood's vents and another doesn't. It doesn't help the fact that they didn't send me the moonlighting system I purchased, but I still got charged for it. Just making me nervous about the whole experience. Anyone able to help me with the installation since I can't get ahold of them?

Well I did a Coralife Steve's kit and posted a whole thread about it. I will try to help as much as possible. Post pics of what you are talking about with the screws.

Here is my thread if the pics help at all.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/317259-coralife-biocube-29g-steves-leds-upgrade-diy-thread-pics/

Here is another one of a 95% kit. This one starts on post 28.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/257403-mushroom-boys-bc29-steves-led-install-page-2/page-2

I will go read up on the 14g to see if I can figure out the difference.

John

• Like 1

2 light switches here are some pics.

The retrofit kit:

IMG_1978.jpg

The hood:

IMG_1980.jpg

This is where the screws are supposed to go:

IMG_1981.jpg

The two screws that are vertical on the left are too small for the screw hole. All 4 screws they sent me are the same size and the heatsink with the predrilled holes won't accept a larger screw if I was to go buy new ones without drilling out the heatsink (why I spent the extra $ to have it predone). There is no guide for the oceanic biocube model on his website and the few that are on there for the retrofit kits have contradicting information. One tells me to cut a hole in the fan slot or remove every other rib, others completely ignore that part. Since I have a different model than what is described in the installation instructions I'm not sure which to do. Not to mention the install guide on his website only shows 3 holes for the heatsink not the 4 that I have.

OK, this helps a lot. I am looking at his insructions.

What I understand is that the posts that are on the hood are too big for the screws and they just slip in and out?

Ya the two posts on the left side. The two horizontal screws fit fine.

I may be wrong, a wider screw may fit, I just don't have one long enough. May have to run to the store...

You have a Oceanic Bio Cube. The 14g instructions on his site are for a Coralife, but you already figured that out.

I see 2 options for you.

1) Mount the LED array with only the 2 screws that fit. You should be fine with only two screws as your heatsync is smaller than the 29g and the 29g uses 4. If you go that route, I recommend using electrical tape to tape over the 4 holes that you are not using.

2) Buy larger diameter screws for the two that are two small and drill your holes bigger. 9/16 should do it.

You can at least do item 1 to get the process moving along.

My experience, if you read my thread, was that it was definitely a DIY project. While it was pretty straightforward, I had 4 sets of insrtuctions that I went back and forth with to make sure I did it right. I also had to buy new screws as I was not satisfied with the screws that were in my kit (deck screws, not stainless steel screws).

Finally, I saw that you removed the squishy buttons. I took that plat out, removed the switches and reinstalled the squishy buttons. I then drilled 2 holes in my hood for the dimmers.

Still confused regarding having to take out the fan ribs or not.

Thank you for the help. Going to have my wife try to get some bigger screws since she is going to take some movies back. Wish the instructions were more accurate/clear...shouldn't have to go between 3 sets and none of them pertain to my model. I saved the squishy button thing...was going to drill a hole in the rubber and just put the dimmer knobs through there...is that what you are talking about?

Still confused regarding having to take out the fan ribs or not.

That really is up to you. The fan is high capacity but that is important since it is critical to keep the LEDs cool. I did not remove any fins. I did the same as you and I have not had any heat issues.

Thank you for the help. Going to have my wife try to get some bigger screws since she is going to take some movies back. Wish the instructions were more accurate/clear...shouldn't have to go between 3 sets and none of them pertain to my model. I saved the squishy button thing...was going to drill a hole in the rubber and just put the dimmer knobs through there...is that what you are talking about?

The second thread I posted up there (Mushroom Boy) did the same thing you are doing. I did not do that because I didn't have any plastic to mount the dimmers onto before pushing them through the squishy button. You will be adjusting the color as you acclimate your tank so it is important that they are securly mounted. If not, they will spin.

On the screws, mine were too big (and poor material) so I bought new ones at Ace Hardware.

Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it. Hopefully I will hear from them sometime regarding the issue. They didn't include my moonlight which I'm bummed about too. Took them 2-3 days to respond to an inquiry last week before I ordered, guess I should take that as a hint.

Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it. Hopefully I will hear from them sometime regarding the issue. They didn't include my moonlight which I'm bummed about too. Took them 2-3 days to respond to an inquiry last week before I ordered, guess I should take that as a hint.

I am not sure why they are not responding for you. The were relatively quick for me.

Their support email is techsupport@stevesleds.com That is what I used.

Thanks for your help, I got it done. Ended up getting some bigger screws to fit the heatsink. Didn't cut out any of the fins on the hood or the splash shield and everything fit back. Looks good, wish I had the moon lights. Got it going at roughly 30% right now. Still now word from the company.

Thanks for your help, I got it done. Ended up getting some bigger screws to fit the heatsink. Didn't cut out any of the fins on the hood or the splash shield and everything fit back. Looks good, wish I had the moon lights. Got it going at roughly 30% right now. Still now word from the company.

Take a look at how I mounted the moonlights. Once yourse come in, I recommend that. It seems to work really well. Note that you will need the IR pickup to be close to one of the grates for the remote to control it.

Now post some pics and consider a build thread for others out there to follow!

Well I did get an email regarding my moonlight. Apparently it was on backorder, but it is now back in stock and has been shipped separately. It would of been nice to get a notice of that, but at least it should be resolved soon. I was hoping for a phone call so I could ask them about the installation problems, but I sent another email regarding that.

I just got the standard kit, no modifications. The colors in the pic are pretty close to what I see in person. Do note that the lights are dimmed down really low. When I turn the blues up, the greens in the frogspawn and orange in the acan come out more, but I don't want to burn my corals so I haven't done it much. There is also a shimmer effect which the stock lighting didn't have...not bad, just different. I will say the lights get really bright though...I think once I get stuff acclimated and can mess with the lights more it will look better

I have had my Steves' kit for a little over a month and am up to about 75% intensity (up it about 10% per week). With 2 separate LED strops and 2 dimmers, you can really adjust the color to your liking.

Thanks man. Everything seems to be loving the lights...frogspawn is open more now than it ever has been imo. My neon green toadstool is more of a yellow color, but I think it has been unhappy for a bit. I bought the tank used and he had the toadstool frag in his main tank so it may not of been enough light for it where it was. Not to mention it got knocked over a ton because my hermit crabs liked to use it as a mountain and climb it and sit there all day.

It's polyp extension is as good as it has been today, hopefully the color will come back to it now.

Did either of you install a Typhoon controller on your StevesLED? I just installed one on mine and LOVE IT!! I actually sat down last night and took my install notes and wrote out an install guide to install a Typhoon controller on a StevesLED kit.

• Like 1

I didn't install a controller...I'm still pretty new to the saltwater fish world and the tech. What would be the benefits of the controller? Just automated on/off? Does it controll the dimming as well?

Update: I got the Moonlight kit in the mail today, I haven't installed it yet but will shortly. It is pretty cool! I'd say for $25 it is a heck of a deal. They also sent me a cool laser pointer with a blue led and flashlight option as well since my stuff got flubbed a bit. So far I'm happy with everything!

• Like 1