Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

The Caribbean Tide Pools

Jaden1592

“What makes Caribbean tide pools so special is its rough rocky terrain. Large jagged rocks separate the ocean from the pools at low tide. When the water comes in, it pours over the edge of these barriers in powerful cascades. The force of this water has etched the pools even deeper over the years, creating a great place for swimmers as well as marine life.”

Inhabitants

Caribbean Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp X4

Peppermint Shrimp X3

Emerald Crab X1

Short Spine UrchinX1

Sea Eggs UrchinX1

Rock Flower anemoneX4

The idea for this tank was to create a niche for small inverts that occupy tide pools in the Caribbean ocean. The Caribbean ocean is located around Latino countries such as, Venezuela, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, and much of the islands which extend from Puerto Rico and Cuba. In order to portray the idea this is a Caribbean tide pool, not only did I use all Inverts to be found in the Caribbean, I have a Mexican Coca Cola bottle as if someone had threw it away in the tide pool now a apart of their aqua-scape. I used a 12 gallon long Mr. Aqua with reef capable LED suspended from the ceiling. The only filtration is two hang on filters passing water through a product called Purigen. I do weekly water changes and so far it has proven to be successful. This tank is 2 months old.

post-59449-0-22515000-1360004002_thumb.jpg

post-59449-0-51565500-1360004006_thumb.jpg

post-59449-0-09854800-1360004014_thumb.jpg

post-59449-0-24331500-1360004022_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

You don't have lysmata grabhami, but Lysmata amboinensis. The grabhami has a thin white border on each side of the tail and a white stripe down the middle and an entirely red background. Amboinensis has the yellow in the tail.

Grabhami is hard to find. Tried to get them for my biotope and opted instead for coral banded shrimp.

L

• 1 month later...

It's a very cool idea for the tank and I love the scaping, especially since I've been to just those places, coke bottles and all. I wish you could get the actual Caribbean Lysmata species or substitute for another species that's Caribbean. You really do not have Caribbean cleaner shrimp, you have a Pacific species, so your biotope is mixed. You also have some mushrooms that are not Caribbean species either. I'm sorry I'm being a bit critical, but I also did a biotope and man, it took a lot of research and livestock sourcing to get that tank 100% Caribbean. Granted mine was a bit different environment.

My system.

It's still a great little tank. Very fun to watch.

L

Archived