Innovative Marine Aquariums

ZX6Reefer's 10g - Running out of room....

ZX6Reefer

BattleAthletics

This has got to be the nicest looking 8.5 ive ever seen on the whole internets dude. Yankeepete does some good work doesnt he.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This has got to be the nicest looking 8.5 ive ever seen on the whole internets dude. Yankeepete does some good work doesnt he.

Wow, thank you! Pete's system really is great. There has been great coral growth, but also a bit of algae growth after my yellow clown goby kicked the bucket over the past few weeks. Nothing that can't be fixed with a little tlc, though. Expect a picture update in the next couple of days.

• 1 month later...

I had to move for work suddenly and haven't had much time to mess with the tank or post on the forums. I have kept up with routine maintenance though and the move went great. I didn't get my rocks the way I had them and gave up trying...

I picked up a firefish as an impulse buy and it's doing well. It's actually been living with my pistol shrimp. I also picked up a couple of peppermint shrimp and they decimated my aiptasia overnight.

ftss2_zpsc0eac40d.jpg

ftsf1_zps95514951.jpg

ftss1_zpsa9f6a0be.jpg

ric2_zpsf3853f15.jpg

skrimp_zps81350531.jpg

Looking back at older posts it seems like there hasn't been a lot of growth. Some of the zoas seem to be reaching for light, but I think I'll hold off on adding more since my algae issues have almost disappeared.

• 2 weeks later...

love the tank! I'm thinking about picking up one of these kits after seeing this tank :P

just wondering, what are you using for filtration and how big are the rear chambers?

love the tank! I'm thinking about picking up one of these kits after seeing this tank :P

just wondering, what are you using for filtration and how big are the rear chambers?

Thanks!

The intake side is about 5 x 3.5 x 12 inches and the output side is about 5.5 x 3.5 x 12 inches. I run chemipure elite on the bottom of the intake chamber and filter floss on the top. The output chamber holds my return pump and heater.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice photos :happy:

Thanks! I've been keeping my eyes peeled for an actual macro. I can only get so sharp with the cheapo close up lens.

INTRESTING CORALS

Thanks! I've been keeping my eyes peeled for an actual macro. I can only get so sharp with the cheapo close up lens.

hey i would like to start i 10 gallon and i really like yours. sdo you think a YWG and a sixline would be ok

hey i would like to start i 10 gallon and i really like yours. sdo you think a YWG and a sixline would be ok

A YWG can work since they don't really move much from their hole (at least when paired with a pistol). However, I wouldn't personally put a six line in a 10 gallon. I've had one in a 50 gallon and from what I've seen they are too active to be confined to that space. I tend to push limits and I am sure people have disagreed with some of my stocking decisions (like a firefish and clown in an 8.5).

Have you looked at the hi-fin goby or yasha goby? They are smaller and look better to me.

I've never seen palys stretch for light so bad, upgrade!

I know they are certainly reaching and an upgrade has been on my mind. I had added 2 gu10 bulbs before and wound up with too much light. While the palys in question quit reaching for light, the zoas became almost microscopic.

I've got room for ~4 more leds on this fixture but will need another driver. Hmm.....

Thanks to Chadf for the kick in the pants. I just got done adding another driver and 6 more leds to the fixture.

The new setup is now:

Driver 1:

3 RB CREE XT-E

3 RB Phillips Rebel ES

1 B CREE XP-E

2 "UV"

Driver 2:

3 CW CREE XP-G

2 NW CREE XP-G

I'm really digging the new look and I'm sure the corals will be appreciative.

I fragged a paly grandis Sunday and it's made a good recovery. Still ramping up the lights so everything is a bit blue...

zMG6gmw.jpg

The baby shroom is looking less like a booger every day.

NZorkRX.jpg

And still decent PE on the birdsnest!

YxdkRHl.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hey, how is this set up doing? Any update?

Also, how was your experience with the badfish AIO kit? I've considered it for a 5.5, but don't have much info to go on. cheers

The tank is still going strong. My firefish somehow jumped out of my netted top a while back. I just added a baby ywg two days ago.

I'm really happy with the badfish aio. I upgraded the pump to a maxijet 900 and now I have enough flow to drop the water level down a few inches in the first chamber.

I'll post some pics in a little while.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived