ReeVo

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great setup great equipment!

Whoa. This is going to be amazing!!!!

Thanks guys :)

It's getting there slowly but surely.

This is my fuge light/cooler fixture I made. Last time I showed it to you guys it didn't have any fans and wasn't complete. I finished the fixture but I was using some other fans that were fine but they were too loud and moved TOO MUCH air. It was literally splashing water around in the fuge and that would influence salt creep. I'm going to try to avoid some salt creep as much as possible, but it's inevitable. So i changed out the fans with something quieter and moves a good amount of air. I did a small test run on the sump and it's near silent. I wouldn't be able to hear it once the tank is running.
I also used nylon thumb screws to hold my fans for when they need to be changed ( they will eventually rust and stop working ). Also used the thumb screws on the fixtures top for when I need to change or fix something. I originally had stainless steel screws but eventually they would rust.
I was planning on using a refugium with cheato at the very begging of this build. Things changed and I got a bio pellet reactor. Then I found out it's useless to have macroalgae with bio pellets. I will still use the fuge as a fuge but with no macroalgae. I'm going to put about 15-20 pounds of live rock in there and my pods will have a place to populate. They don't necessarily need light to grow. I am going to use the light for when I'm doing maintenance in my stand. Just an overpriced stand light.
IMG_1892.jpg
IMG_1893.jpg
IMG_1894.jpg
I got in some of the goodies I got over Black Friday. I'm still waiting on a few more things to come in. My ReefGeek order came today one more MP10Wes ( 20% Mail-In Rebate already mailed out today :) ), one more Neptune EB8, Neptune Breakout Box, and Neptune Wireless Expansion Module WXM. I really wanted to get a PM1 module with ORP probe to complete my Apex but my budget wouldn't cut it. Still had to buy gifts for my girlfriend lol Maybe I'll pick one up next month while I save up.

IMG_1904.jpg

I was going to finish the lid for my ATO reservoir but my order of acrylic came in the wrong color. :angry: In the mean time I was working on my probe holder. Made 2 holes for pH and ORP and 1 bigger hole for the temperature probe. I'll be gluing this to the sump in the first/drain chamber. I'm also going to make a holder for my dosing pump hoses. Haven't gotten to that yet but probably tomorrow.

IMG_1901.jpg

IMG_1902.jpg

IMG_1903.jpg

CustomAquariumBx

Nice!! I have to drill a probe holder also. What size bits did you use? Wasnt sure what to buy today so I held out till I can get the right sizes

Nice!! I have to drill a probe holder also. What size bits did you use? Wasnt sure what to buy today so I held out till I can get the right sizes

Thanks bud :)

Well I used a 1/2" acrylic drill bit for the pH and ORP probes. As for temperature hole I used a 11/16" hole saw.. Just make sure you drill slow and steady with a scrap piece of acrylic on the bottom to prevent chipping. Comes out squeaky clean this way :D

CustomAquariumBx

It's cool how similar our builds are! Thanks I kept forgetting to research the size bits I'd need lol. I usually use a scrap 2x4 and some water over it to keep things cool. Did you use a stop when u drilled the holes for the nylon thumb screws? When u tapped it did the tap finish? Or was it tight towards the end of the threads. Sorry for the bombardment of questions I've just been thinking about this lately. Lol

It's cool how similar our builds are! Thanks I kept forgetting to research the size bits I'd need lol. I usually use a scrap 2x4 and some water over it to keep things cool. Did you use a stop when u drilled the holes for the nylon thumb screws? When u tapped it did the tap finish? Or was it tight towards the end of the threads. Sorry for the bombardment of questions I've just been thinking about this lately. Lol

haha it's ok man, I like to help out anybody in need of help or advice hoping someone will do the same for me someday when I need it.

I didn't use a stopper. I just tapped it until i reached the end of the hole. I first drilled a 3/16' drill bit so i can tap into it easily, then used a 1/4"-20 thread bit to tap it. It goes in pretty smoothly if you drill it before you tap it. Lots of tapping going on lol

CustomAquariumBx

Lol yea I've been doing a lot of tapping lately myself. Like u said go slow and steady! Especially with the pilot hole, a crooked screw stink! Lol

Lol yea I've been doing a lot of tapping lately myself. Like u said go slow and steady! Especially with the pilot hole, a crooked screw stink! Lol

Haha nice! You got it man. Let me know how it comes out.

This is beyond sexy, looking forward to more. :scarry:

Thanks bud :D

My acrylic for my ATO is coming in tomorrow, so ill post some pictures once I get that done. Just one more step closer to getting this baby done. I really need to get a start on building my second stand or else I'm stuck but I've been recovering from a brutal tonsillectomy so I'm doing as much as I can.

I was actually thinking of building the stand with 3/4" plywood and covering in laminate that will match the laminate on my stand. I want to also cover the inside of the stand with white laminate to give it that clean European look. Something about white stands and red plumbing that's gets my boat floating lol

Just finished the ATO reservoir today. Built the lid with acrylic hinges and lid knob. I still need to prep the edges, flame treat it, and cut the holes in the lid for the ATO pump hose and ATO Fill-Port. I'm also going to put in a low-level float valve hooked up to the Neptune Breakout Box to warn me when i'm running low on RO water. I don't trust the Tunze pump to warm me when the water level is low. I've read countless posts about how they fail. Some people get lucky but I'd rather have the extra assurance. Plus, I'd like to get a notification telling me that I'm running low instead of coming home to the Tunze ATO alarm going off.

IMG_1910.jpg

IMG_1907.jpg

IMG_1911.jpg

Where did you get the hinges, might want to copy this for future build?

I got them from a local plastics store here in Burbank, CA. Not sure if they have a website but they are called Plastic Depot.

That ATO container looks great. Are you going to paint it?

I'm still debating whether or not if i should wrap it in white vinyl, like my sump, since the inside of my extra stand is going to be white. What do you think?

I'm still debating whether or not if i should wrap it in white vinyl, like my sump, since the inside of my extra stand is going to be white. What do you think?

If you are going to have a fuge with a light, I would wrap it if I were you. That way you won't get any funky stuff growing in it. You can always leaves a little strip that shows through so you can see the water level like the advanced acrylics ATO containers.

If you are going to have a fuge with a light, I would wrap it if I were you. That way you won't get any funky stuff growing in it. You can always leaves a little strip that shows through so you can see the water level like the advanced acrylics ATO containers.

I am going to have a fuge but not planning on using the light anymore, just as a really expensive stand light when I do maintenance :mellow:

The ATO will be in another stand, so wrapping it in vinyl will just be for aesthetics and to see the water level. Checking for water level is already a good enough reason to do it.

• 2 weeks later...

So here's a late night update since I can't sleep. Just one of those nights where you can't sleep but keep thinking of what to do with your tank.

I bought 50lbs of Reef Cleaners dry rock. I messaged John and I explained to him what I wanted. He assured me he knew exactly the look I'm going for. Really great service. I can't wait to get it.

I also bought some acrylic rods and like 12oz of aquastick epoxy. I'm thinking of having 2 islands. One that's like a bonsai design with over hangs which will somewhat surround the 2nd island. Hopefully it comes out well.

I just glued in the probe holder and it looks great. I'll post up some pictures today. I'm stuck on where I should dose : (

Don't want to dose in the drain because the flow is slow and my probes are in there. Don't want to get crazy readings. Can't dose In the fuge because the fixture that sits over it. Return is not a great idea but I was thinking of dosing in the bubble trap. The water is always in motion so it should mix it well. What do you guys think?

I'm also in the middle of trying to silence as many things as I can so it runs quiet. I put a rubber mat under the sump, glued silicone feet to the return pump, and going to use some silicone tubing on the return. Hopefully this will reduce any vibrations and humming.

On Monday I'm going to pick up the wood I ordered for the extra stand. Going to pick up some stain and polyurethane white paint so I can get this stand done. Then going to plan out and organize all the electronic goodies in there :D

Thanks guys :)

It's getting there slowly but surely.

This is my fuge light/cooler fixture I made. Last time I showed it to you guys it didn't have any fans and wasn't complete. I finished the fixture but I was using some other fans that were fine but they were too loud and moved TOO MUCH air. It was literally splashing water around in the fuge and that would influence salt creep. I'm going to try to avoid some salt creep as much as possible, but it's inevitable. So i changed out the fans with something quieter and moves a good amount of air. I did a small test run on the sump and it's near silent. I wouldn't be able to hear it once the tank is running.
I also used nylon thumb screws to hold my fans for when they need to be changed ( they will eventually rust and stop working ). Also used the thumb screws on the fixtures top for when I need to change or fix something. I originally had stainless steel screws but eventually they would rust.
I was planning on using a refugium with cheato at the very begging of this build. Things changed and I got a bio pellet reactor. Then I found out it's useless to have macroalgae with bio pellets. I will still use the fuge as a fuge but with no macroalgae. I'm going to put about 15-20 pounds of live rock in there and my pods will have a place to populate. They don't necessarily need light to grow. I am going to use the light for when I'm doing maintenance in my stand. Just an overpriced stand light.
IMG_1892.jpg
IMG_1893.jpg
IMG_1894.jpg

that's serious cooling! you could have tripled you led count on those lol

Probe holder is in place, return pumps silicone feet glued in, and rubber mat installed underneath the sump. I need to shorten my hard plumbing for the return because the barb fittings are touching together. Once I get that done, I'm going to use silicone tubing to install the pump. Hopefully this will get rid of the vibrations and humming I'm i'm hearing.

IMG_1936.jpg

IMG_1937.jpg

IMG_1941.jpg

IMG_1942.jpg

Archived