SaltCritters.com

The Mostly-All-In-One Red Sea Max 130

ViralEntity

It appears I have some how solved the mystery of the microbubble! I don't entirely know the culprit, but the only thing I can put it down to is moving the return line from the sump slighty. Either way I can't complain!

I just ordered 2 Nanomags - I saw the add at the top of the page and couldn't resist! This websites going to send me broke :D

Ok so 5 days into ZEOvit and not much has changed, neither good or bad, so without further ado here is my tank after day 5:

IMG_0459_zps28cf6ec8.jpg

Your scape is awesome, and the DIY you've done for equipment is amazing. I wish I knew how to do half the things. My wiring is still a mess, you just can't see it.

I am pretty confused about why you've embarked on a zeovit system without anything in the tank to show you the fruits of your labor. Usually the zeovite methodology is used to enhance coral colors in an SPS dominant tank. :huh:

I chose ZEOvit for two main reasons.

Firstly, I wanted a bit more control over the nutrient export from the tank than just relying on a macro refugium and water changes. Using the basic ZEOvit principles of bacterial export of nutrients through heavy skimming in my opinion gave me more control over the tank. The SPS side of ZEOvit is true and seems to be the most popular reason people chose it, but in its basic form is not really much different than vodka or bio pellet dosing, however from what I could find it has the most support and proven history out of the lot. This is my opinion and some may not agree.

Secondly is what you mentioned - it seems great for SPS long term. With my birthday in a few weeks I am upgrading to a LED retrofit from StevesLEDs as my original scope was to have the top tier of my rock work encrusted with SPS. ZEOvit seems to have a positive effect if managed correctly so I figured I could kill two birds with one stone.

I must admit its not a cheap undertaking, but here in Aus nothing is! I have spent a fair bit of time working out what I wanted this time around and fully expect to have to change if this doesn't work out.

It would be interesting to see what others think, especially considering the size of the tank.

Why is there a face in your tank? That's kind of creepy.

Yeah only just noticed that. I'm not too sure what it is - hoping its just a TV reflection because its kinda creepy....

I chose ZEOvit for two main reasons.

Firstly, I wanted a bit more control over the nutrient export from the tank than just relying on a macro refugium and water changes. Using the basic ZEOvit principles of bacterial export of nutrients through heavy skimming in my opinion gave me more control over the tank. The SPS side of ZEOvit is true and seems to be the most popular reason people chose it, but in its basic form is not really much different than vodka or bio pellet dosing, however from what I could find it has the most support and proven history out of the lot. This is my opinion and some may not agree.

Secondly is what you mentioned - it seems great for SPS long term. With my birthday in a few weeks I am upgrading to a LED retrofit from StevesLEDs as my original scope was to have the top tier of my rock work encrusted with SPS. ZEOvit seems to have a positive effect if managed correctly so I figured I could kill two birds with one stone.

I must admit its not a cheap undertaking, but here in Aus nothing is! I have spent a fair bit of time working out what I wanted this time around and fully expect to have to change if this doesn't work out.

It would be interesting to see what others think, especially considering the size of the tank.

The reasoning is sound, I'm not the expert at zeovit methodolody at all, in fact all I know if from the little I have read on zeovit forums.

Having said that, I am really not sure how a coral will react upon entering an ULNS. Usually they are in your tank and the zeovit is started and ramped up giving plenty of time for the corals to adjust. I would be most interested to see the results of a coral going from a regular system into yours. fingerscrossed

You hit the nail on the head - aside from others experiences and forum posts there is a lot of unknowns about the ZEOvit or any dosing systems. I have always been a minimalist when it comes to dosing and additions to any tank and now is no different. That said I understand how it should work and that seems fairly sound so I'm willing to give it a shot but I doubt I will worry too much about adding other ZEOvit products unless there is no alternative.

As for new corals entering a ULNS I had half considered that and was of two minds. I can gamble and just drop them in but chances are they come from a fairly high nutrient environment in the shops or other tanks that as you suggested may have a negative impact.

The other idea was a small 10l tank that can be used as a treatment tank then slowly drip acclimatise over a few hours. Open to suggestions if any has a better idea!

Archived