Top Shelf Aquatics

Chris's 27 gallon mixed reef

--chris--

Looking better, however why are those tiny shallow tanks using such thick glass? even 1/4" is overkill for such shallowness.

The tanks getting there...im on the fence about adding sand. I think it looks better with nice base of white sand, but i keep siphoning out all this detrius that would otherwise be piling up in the sand bed. Not exaggerating, i remove about 1/4 cup of detrius a week during a 2-3 gallon water change. Thats the stuff you see blowing around in most of the pics. I let it settle for an hour with all the pumps off before i do a WC. Even then, i still have some left.

But if i do add sand, i would beef up the cleaner crew and add some sand sifting critters to work through it.

Thoughts anyone?

And the little tanks? They were cut from broken 90's i got for free. I agree its very much overkill, but it looks nice and the price was right.

edit: While cleaning up my pile of fish related stuff, i found a box of razor blades i bought 2 months ago to clean the back glass on my tank. I just realized since ive been carbon dosing i havent touch my back glass....and when i thought about it, i went two weeks without scraping the front/side glass as well.

Feels good have nutrients under control finally!

double edit: Please disregard ornaments (sponge bob and Sandy). My wife picked them out as a joke, but then our 9 month old seen them and well...they are permanent.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still waiting on my camera gear :/ Tracking says it should be here tomorrow, but we are also supposed to get 12+" of snow tonight...so that might not happen.

In the mean time, the last of my cell phone macro shots (thanks god!)

The pissed off Sonny D's (they just started opening up late last night)

photobucket-35493-1360248397860_zps882bb

photobucket-55010-1359840930356_zpsf0880

photobucket-44590-1360248623279_zps3fc74

photobucket-57381-1360248544154_zpsc5428

photobucket-54984-1360248479338_zpsb8f5e

photobucket-29842-1360248368751_zps25f5a

photobucket-48653-1360248331626_zpsca7ff

And i added sand last night! I rinsed it in a 5 gallon bucket. I used about 30 gallons of 0 TDS water and wow, it made a hell of a difference. The last time i added sand i didnt rinse it, and i had shit floating around and the tank was cloudy for a week. Everything got covered in dust. This time around, it was cleared up by the next morning.

photobucket-38728-1360248227724_zps84b2d

I was worried i would have to cut flow back with the sand, but even with the MP10 on 100% the sand didnt move at all.

I just stumbled across the Reef Angel controller...i know very little about it, but its got me interested. Ill be spending some time reading up on it.

http://www.reefangel.com/

This took me literally about an hour for this one shot...i have a lot of learning to do! But, the good news this is the most accurate color rendition of the lighting i have got so far. Coral colors are spot on and the blue tinge is spot on. Im finally happy with a FTS.

edit: Well almost happy. I still have some hot spots that are washed out, and id like to get everything clearer. But its a start...

2dcip93.jpg

For the first time in about 2 years, my tank is growing stony corals. Its the smallest miles stone, with 3 very tiny growth nubs...but its not dieing!

2vbssog.jpg

Ive been in the reef hobby since '06. In that time, ive only had one tank that grew sps and even then it didnt grow quickly. Im still not growing them quickly, but like i said...first time in a long time they are growing.

I thought since i see some small growth i might as well test the water.

alk: 10.2

cal: 370

Alk is up a full point from where i have been for 5 months...the only big change is adding the sand. Can it really bump it up that much? I noted below i did a waterchange, but a waterchange has never moved my alk up more then 0.2 if at all.

Cal up from last time a tiny bit. I did do a small water change of about 4 gallons last week when i added the sand. So i guess im still not using much of either of those...

I picked up a 16 of these guys. I asked for "those snails that bury themselves in the sand and come out when you feed"...because i still cant think of what they are called, can someone help me ID them?

snails-1_zps4d4d6942.jpg

They were more money than the other ones i was expecting (the other ones ive bought are about 1/3 this size, and with grey shells) @ $30 for the 16 of them. They are about 1/2" long, mostly black and move quickly (for a snail).

I also ordered Julians Thing (i love telling people that)....to feed LPS/zoas/palys. I work about 20 minutes from cherry corals. I spoke with the owner briefly and he said he has no problem with local pick ups...so ill be keeping my eyes on CC.com for some wicked acans.

I transferred some money into paypal a week ago to buy some things (ATO, lights, corals). Its been in there about 2 days now.

I wake up this morning i have a slew of emails from paypal, from new bank account, withdrawal notices to fraudulent activity notices, frozen account blah blah blah.

Some goofy bastard in Europe (just guessing by the time it occurred) logged into my paypal account and tried to empty it. Luckily paypals fraud detection is pretty good and it caught it, then reversed it, then froze my account.

But now i have to try and figure out which computer is infected with the BS that allowed them to steal my login credentials. Probably home PC....gotta dump it again.

Anyways, thought i would share the story. Its a good reason why you should never let money sit your paypal account. Transfer it as soon as you can.

the tank seems to be hitting a rough patch. my skimmers needle wheel got funked up with some sludge wenesday, i noticed it seemed to be a little light on bubble production that night but couldnt tear it apart to fix it till after work day. thursday i noticed 4 of my pally frags e closed up. today they are still closed up and i noticed my bryans baby breath favia is losing tissue like crazy.

one of three montipora frags is stn'ing, but everything else is looking good. im thinking the vodka and mb7 with a the skimmer not running at 100% did something, but i dont know im just guessing.

i did a 20% waterchange today. fingers crossed its fixed because im picking up those acan frags tomorrow....i when this shit happens!

Update on the zoas/palys. Some of them opened up again, and look slightly different (colors more vibrant, weird...). My woodstocks, gobstoppers, king midas, and a cool AOG look alike are still closed. Tomorrow will be one week of them being closed.

Im tossing around the idea of stopping the vodka and MB7 since my skimmer is getting gummed up with bacterial mulm every 5-7 days. The alternative is carbon, GFO and 20-25% weekly waterchanges.

I picked up some free tanks today :)

photobucket-5467-1362428451832_zpsc54798

Ill be tearing these down and rebuilding them. Flippin for some more reefer money.

Update on the vodka/MB7. I have not dosed either of them in 4 days. Colors are already starting to come back in the digitata. I also noticed the woodstock paly that had been closed for 10 days is starting to open back up and the same for a few other polyps. Colors overall are getting better.

The real trick will be balancing color/algae growth as i have noticed some of the algae on the new frags is starting to darken a bit.

I traded some red cap, gold zoas and orange digi for a big 'ol rock with xenia and cabbage leather on it. This will be going into my dads tank when its setup, but i do hope the xenia spreads onto something in my tank before that happens.

photobucket-19099-1362665304819_zps7caed

6 weeks of growth from the woodstock paly!

orv1tt.jpg

It was 1 full polyp + 1 partial baby, now im counting 1 full and 6 babys that are almost open! Amazing growth from something like this...hope it keeps up.

Archived