SaltCritters.com

Bonnie Shallow Reef - 75 gallon mixed reef

polarblair2000

polarblair2000

Good stuff! We need a FTS soon.

Cheers everyone :) glad you like the photos. Haha, FTS is on its way. After these photos I moved the rocks slightly and smoothed out the sand but it clouded up the water. And Metrokat wasn't keen on my cloudy FTS last time so I'm waiting till tommorow to take them :)

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
polarblair2000

Then there was three :'(

Lost one of my Chromis today. The other day I couldn't see him swimming with the others like usual. Then I saw him sitting in a cave but I noticed a part of his tail fin had been nipped off.

Pretty sure one of the other chromis did it.

Well I haven't seen him all day. Then tonight whilst looking at my tank I saw his skeleton float through the centre of the tank :( picked clean!

Not sure what happened.

Blubbernaut

Then there was three :'(

Lost one of my Chromis today. The other day I couldn't see him swimming with the others like usual. Then I saw him sitting in a cave but I noticed a part of his tail fin had been nipped off.

Pretty sure one of the other chromis did it.

Well I haven't seen him all day. Then tonight whilst looking at my tank I saw his skeleton float through the centre of the tank :( picked clean!

Not sure what happened.

He most likely died in the cave, then the CUC went to work...... :(

Bummer about the Chromis, from what I've been reading having "schooling" fish in most reefs is near impossible. They will just keep picking on the smallest/weakest one until only one is left.

polarblair2000

Bummer about the Chromis, from what I've been reading having "schooling" fish in most reefs is near impossible. They will just keep picking on the smallest/weakest one until only one is left.

Im thinking that may be the case <_< Stupid fish, why don't hey just get along!.. I did read similar things but I also read experiences where everything was fine. I did see somewhere someone mentioned it may be to do with the sex of the fish, males vs males etc... fighting for dominance... I don't know.

The smallest one spends most of its time by itself as well now :(

Also had a huge Cyano bloom the day after. There has been a small patch for a while, put it down to over feeding and not enough filtration - still don't have my flaming Skimmer <_< but it went crazy the next day. Red slime everywhere. I have been vacuuming it up for the past few days and in turn doing daily water changes. I also replaced the Rowaphos in the reactor today so hopefully that will help somewhat.

Everything in the tank is looking AMAZING other than the red slime. Should hopefully be taking some photos of the new corals I got yesterday soon when I have time.

• 2 weeks later...

New FTS!

April 10th 2013

Here you go, took this today. Hope you like it.

8637865142_0057ff56bc_b.jpg

Lovely! I can stare at the white sand all day long!

polarblair2000

Lovely! I can stare at the white sand all day long!

Thanks :) I can too, it's tricky when you have an outbreak of Cyano though :'( It was really my own fault, over feeding - especially my corals. Still haven't got a skimmer on this system. Waiting on the vertex omega 150 to come to the UK should hopefully be available in a week or two.

polarblair2000

Thought I would make a little update.

I have been running the bailing lite method for two weeks now. I think my calcium dosage is bang on, holding at 440, Alk is 11.5 dkh though Mag is through the roof, it was at 1400 so I stopped dosing but I checked it a few days later and it was off the chart. Checked my bailing containers and the Mag had dropped a bit so it must be dosing at some point, disconnected the dosing pump until it drops.

There hasn't been any fish skeletons floating around my tank lately so that's always a plus :) the three chromis that I have seem to be doing fine right now.

Cleaned out my sump today, that was a fun task... There has been quite a bit off detritus down there, think most of it got in there before I was running filter socks and it was annoying me so I yanked out the sump (well more wrestled it out) and pulled it outside and finished it out with a hose, then wiped with r.o water then dried with paper towels then let the sun do the rest. Yes it really was that exciting.

Anyway the sump is back, huge water change done and its all looking sparkly :) - except from the display there's still Cyano in there >:(

Hopefully the removal of the detritus, reduced feelings and fresh carbon in the reactor will help keep it back, it sucked a lot of it out today but its really gotten a hold of my system. I should of just got a different skimmer from day one rather than hold out on the vertex omega 150 which I'm still waiting on! Better be worth it.

On the plus side just ordered me some sexy zoas, got some fruit loops, red people eaters, magicians and some candy apple pinks.

polarblair2000

So I think my plan against the cyano is working. I can see a definite decrease in the cyanos aggression.

Should be getting the skimmer within the next few weeks so hoping that will be the final blow.

For now I'm feeding 1 frozen cube over the course of a few hours on on Monday, Wednesday and Saturday - and a small feed of reef roids on my gorgonian and dendro once a week.

Big water change and sump clean seemed to help a lot.

polarblair2000

******* phone exchange deleted my post

Bizarre? Change that, it's a bank holiday on Monday so no post >:( - Zoas coming in Wednesday.

• 2 weeks later...
BattleAthletics

####ing phone exchange deleted my post

I have no idea how I posted that. Drunk post?

Any updates? This is one of my top 2 fav builds so far.

polarblair2000

Not much to update unfortunately. Still haven't got the zoas, hopefully coming this week. Still no skimmer and Still have cyano... :(

polarblair2000

Yeah Salinty has never been a problem. But now you have be paranoid ;) I'm going to do water tests tonight anyway.

I have "pre-orderd" one, the problem with the Vertex Omega 150 is that the pump was set-up for us power outlets, when it came to the european one they have had a bit of bother tuning the pump to the different outlets and other technical stuff, which has seriously delayed me getting one. I have been told it will be very soon, like a week or two, but I have been told that every other week since January.

Bit frustrating but Im sure it will be worth the wait.

polarblair2000

Yeah, so it turns out I do have something to update the thread with.

Placed an order with one of my LFS for a Midas Blenny, should come in next week which is great. I'll need to get the QT set up again. The urge to skip the QT and is very tempting... but I shall resist an force myself to be a good fish keeper.

Secondly it looks like my Zoas are arriving tomorrow :)

• 2 weeks later...
polarblair2000

Do not fret! I have some pictures of the new goodies.

Candy Apples - Zoa

8816150772_dea2173ae4_c.jpg

Red People Eaters - Zoa

8805568545_64c07f92c3_c.jpg

Fruit Loops - Zoa

8805563497_fb11dd6cf3_c.jpg

Purple Gorgonian

I have had this lovely specimen for about 6-7 weeks now and it is doing really well. The polyps are extended throughout most of the day and I have seen a nice amount of growth since having it arrive.

8805560749_fb1658bdb6_c.jpg

Montipora Undata

My little survivor. This was the only piece of SPS to make it through the gas cut I had when my nano was running. All my others died very shortly after the temps plummeted to 18ºc when we had no heating for a few days in winter. But this guy made it and after the transfer top the new tank the recovery has been great. The bottom part in the photo had only a slither of tissue and the upper area had large gaps and holes. 2 months later the tissue has doubled and its starting to encrust onto the rock :)

8816156138_7b3f89d39b_c.jpg

True Magicians Zoa

I did receive a single polyp of this frag but unlike the others it did not open... until today! 9 days later the little guy has half opened and I expect it will be even better tomorrow Once he's fully recovered and mounted I will throw up some pictures.

polarblair2000

Awesome top down pics. What do you use to take them?

Thanks :) I have a Canon 7D and I was using the 18-135mm this time. Looking into getting the 60mm or 100mm macro some time in the near future though.

Archived