Innovative Marine Aquariums

Bonnie Shallow Reef - 75 gallon mixed reef

polarblair2000

polarblair2000
I am so jealous of your wood work!!!!!

Great build and nice tank and sump. I think the whiskey makes it look so much better. That should be your center piece for the tank once its wet, lol.

Following....

Thank you :) I had thought about keeping it in there, maybe sealing it with something. But then again, I'd rather drink it :P

Wow................ such an amazing set up man.. who built your tank?? loving the radion too. wish I had the money for one of those.

Cheers :) Not sure if I can mention non sponsors from across the pond on here so sorry. But it's a local company based outside Falkirk in Scotland called DC aquariums.

The Radion Pro is awesome! I've tested the near uv LEDs on my nano tank and my corals just glow, it's really cool.

I wish I had the money and space :)

I got pretty lucky, you never know what may happen. I wanted an even bigger tank but I guess no matter how big your tank is you could always get a bigger one... Vicious cycle.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is true you will always want more. That is just our human behavior.

Oh and I meant to drink the whiskey and put the bottle back in there. You cant waste whiskey!!!

I too am upgrading, I am having a custom 37gallon tank built buy a scottish company called Ocean Displays. Also getting a custom sump too. Cant wait, I am having the stand built for me though, as I am not particularly handy with wood. heres a piccy of my stand so far. not quite your standard, but its sturdy!! and there will be plenty of room for sump and gubbins. I am going with 3 par38s and 2 fiji blues over my 3ft long tank. would love a Radion but havent got the money..... maybe one day.

729492_10151440422259283_1913950341_o.jp

Cheers

Simon

• 2 weeks later...
polarblair2000

Not much to update you with at the moment I'm afraid. I'm snowboarding in Italy this week. However back home in Scotland the tank is being leak tested and I've made a lot of progress on the plumbing.

I've installed my Apex system that finally arrived. Hopefully it will be wet within the next few weeks. Would love it to be up and running when I get back but I want to make a good job of it first time round.

QT is set up, once I get my tank wet and get the cycle going ill be getting my first set of fish in the QT. Starting with 3 Blue Chromis.

polarblair2000

This buiild needs to progress faster. ;)

Looks like it will be badazz.

I wish I could make it go faster! Hopefully it won't be much longer. I have just placed an order for some corals that will hopefully make it even more badazz ;)

polarblair2000

Sweat? Check! - I've broken into a few during this build, from planning wood like a mad man to struggling my way through plumbing in tight corners

Blood? Yep, cut myself numerous times with saws and stanly blades

Tears? Today, almost!!!

All it seems to take is one minor but hugely irritation all thing to mate be go from all gooey eyed over my glass square to wanting to smash the damn thing with a sledge hammer. It's TOO LOUD!

For the life of me I can't get the Xaqua to not sound like a water fall. I have tried moving that stupid pipe all over the place and nothing really works.

My original plan was to take the hose tube and connect it to a small amount of hard plumbing that had a ball valve and a drain pipe leading to the sump, so I could shut of the feed from the display if I needed. Either it's quite and my tank almost overflows or the level is good in the display but so much air gets sucked down the tube it sounds like there is a raging river in my living room.

I have disconnected the hard plumbing and put just the soft tubing and flopped it into the sump, it's not as bad, but still unacceptable.

Ill post a less ranty post with photographs tomorrow hopefully, and try to explain myself better. I think I really need some advice on how to get this thing working better.

• Like 1

Ohhh dear, sounds like a nightmare!! thats one thing I am worried about going to a sump system, the noise! I have seen a system that uses a similar overflow the ocean life type and his wasnt that loud, think he had soft tubing going into a filter sock to baffle the noise a bit. the main thing you could hear is the skimmer.

hope you sort it out man, after spending the amount of money you have on that system you need to be happy, you'll find a way!

look forward to seeing some pics.

polarblair2000

Ohhh dear, sounds like a nightmare!! thats one thing I am worried about going to a sump system, the noise! I have seen a system that uses a similar overflow the ocean life type and his wasnt that loud, think he had soft tubing going into a filter sock to baffle the noise a bit. the main thing you could hear is the skimmer.

hope you sort it out man, after spending the amount of money you have on that system you need to be happy, you'll find a way!

look forward to seeing some pics.

Thanks, Yeah I know it really iritated me. I've read a lot that having a filter sock helps with the noise. Before I go on I have managed to get the noise level down enough to a level I am happy with , and once I get a filter sock in there it should hopefully be even quitter.

First off, there was air being pulled down the down pipe causing a lot of gurgling sounds. I managed to rectify this by first separating the Xaqua unit into to parts, the return and drain are now separated. I then turned the Drain 90º clockwise so the drain would go out horizontally to the left then drop down. This slows the water speed coming down the drain, raising the water line slightly and stopping any air draining down into the pipe.

I have removed all of my hard plumbing for the drain line, I don't think these things are supposed to work like that. Its a shame because my hard plumbing was looking awesome but I would rather have a quitter tank than a better looking sump.

I had a filter sock tray in my sump which I decided to remove. First the tray was to high compared to the next rest of the sumps water level that made quite a lot of noise dropping down. Secondly the tank builders didn't have a 4" drill bit to cut holes for the filter socks so instead the put together braces that made square holes... yeah not going to work. And I think having the drain pipe going directly into the filter sock will defiantly help with the noise problem.

Anyway Im pretty happy now. Just ordered a 300w heater, new filter sock holder, filter socks and a magnet cleaner, shame my little mag floats not strong enough for 12mm glass, but I guess it would take for ever to clean the glass with that little thing.

Emptying the tank now, just had tap water to leak test it. Going to give it a good wipe down and start filling her up with ro/di and salt water over the next few days! Get her heated up, add the sand and rock and were good to go!!!

Wow! Sounds like it'll be awesome! But is this supposed to be a fish-less tank? I may just be a n00b, but I don't think a lid-less tank is good idea in general.......

polarblair2000

Wow! Sounds like it'll be awesome! But is this supposed to be a fish-less tank? I may just be a n00b, but I don't think a lid-less tank is good idea in general.......

Cheers mate, thanks for the comment.

Haha! No no I'm planning on having about 10 fish in total. Just because there is no lid right now dosnt mean there wont be one :P Im planning on creating a mesh screen to put on top. Using the left over oak from the stand build, it will be like a picture frame with a groove rebated out of the frame that will slot on top of the tank, and a fine mesh will be stretched across to keep all the fishes from surfing my carpet.

Anyway lots of people do run there tank with out a lid but run the risk of there fish jumping - Im no expert but different fish like Firefish and Jawfish are common jumpers, but I guess any fish could jump if they wanted to.

polarblair2000
Hows things going man? got the noise all sorted now? is it salty yet?

The overflow is silent now?

Silent... No. Very quite... Yes :) I played around with different set ups using the xaqua and from my research on other forums it was suggested to split the overflow and return units and then rotate the overflow 90°. This has helped remove all the gurgling sounds which I'm happy about.

The tank is wet! Filling her up with RO/DI today. Bit of a disaster with the plumbing in the water changing system but the tank is almost full. Will be adding the salt once she is 100% full - probably tommorow. Then I'll get my sand and rock on Tuesday!

polarblair2000
You using live sand/rock?

Yes I am. I have 3kg of LR in my nano that I will transfer over once the new tank has cycled. I'm going to order another 12kg of cured LR today - from the same place as I got my last batch. It was totally covered in glorious purple coralline algae. I will be adding some bagged LS, can't remember the name but it has little pink flecs. I will then seed the sand with a big scoop of the sand from my nano to really give it a boost

polarblair2000
The fabulous dosing canisters! Where abouts in our fabulous United Kingdom did you find those?

Sorry if posting this breaks any rules. They are the Vertex bailing vessels, tall non stackable ones. I got them from marineaquatics. http://www.marineaquatics.co.uk/shop/vertex-libra-dosing-vessels.html

Bit pricey but they do look fabulous. I did have a bit of bother getting the connection to my Kramer dosing pump working, they are designed to work with the Vertex libra dossier, which is really pricey but with some creative plumbing they work well :)

nanolutionary

OMG i know it's okay on nano-reef but i've been on UK marine sites too where i've nearly been kicked off for hyperlinking products, I said it was like living in Communist Russia.

Archived