Pod Your Reef

~Mini Bar~

Chew_Magna

Humm... You need to stay very much on top of the cleaning and maint. of that canister... Otherwise you are looking at a nitrate factory in the making. You might want to consider a Tunze Comline Filter 3162 or a Hob filter that you could do both a fuge and carbon filter mod to and cancel/return the can...

The can is 90% aesthetics. I have two hobs laying around if I wanted to go that route, but I just don't want that hanging off the tank (it would look really bad on this tiny tank). I already have to do daily cleanings in the tank, so cleaning a can won't be much more work. Aside from a sump, which I don't have room for, I can only get the filtration I need this way.

I want to keep the streamlined look I have right now with no big bulk on the tank. Evap is already bad with the lid raised a half inch, if I do a hob I'll have to go topless and that'll make it worse. Plus I've lost one hi fin to a jump already. I want to keep this one ;)

Ain't it great?

I forgot to mention earlier, I have two rock nems ordered. Should arrive Friday. I have no idea what they'll look like since we don't get to pick and choose when we order at work. Still excited though! They'll be my first nems.

Where are you getting them from? I will be placing an order on two myself here shortly to add to my tank.

We order from Segrest. There is no WYSIWYG. If I decide I don't like them I just won't have to pay for them since they're coming in to the store. I'm sure I'll end up with one or two though.

Wow, well done, with how you've aquascaped it, this thing looks like a 20L.

Thanks! I'm going to be switching out a couple rocks later on. I picked up a dry rock today that I'll cycle in my 15 and then do a big overhaul on this tank. New filter, (some) new rocks, and adding sand.

Got a couple things going on. I've added my sand and I'm waiting on it to clear. This finer stuff fakes forever! My Hawaiian black took a half hour or so. Anywho.

Since the rock flowers didn't ship I took a splurge on a couple coral.

iuKrt.jpg

Trumpet with 14 heads depending on how you count it. I counted mouths.

vOgob.jpg

I'm not 100% on this one. We just call it the donut brain. We had another a while back and its the first coral that ever interested me. The coloration is hard to describe. Its kind of a see through metal greenish thing. It had its tentacles out in the bag, they reached from the center and were a half inch long or so.

More updates after the tank clears!

Tired of waiting? I know I was. :-\

P3enb.jpg

That's the best I can come up with. I'm using a new rom on my phone, and the camera isn't as good as the old one.

Right now I'm just running the sponge in the canister. I have some carbon but I forgot to grab something to put it in. The hoses and fittings weren't as small as I thought they were, so I'm having to run topless. Looks like I'll have to do an egg crate top or find a way to raise my lid even higher.

Hmm, what else. I've set up a drip ato that I'll be watching over the next couple days to get it dialed in. Haven't seen fishy since this morning, I probably scared the crap out of him with all the digging around in the tank today. This little Guy is amazing at finding places to hide in such a tiny space.

Oh, I also got a small Bettastik heater. It's 7.5w. I'm hoping it came keep a relative temp without having to keep the heater on in the room all the time. So far it's staying at 75* but it hasn't been on very long.

Ah, I just saw fishy head. Good good.

Well, except for wanting everything to grow, I'm right about where I want to be with the tank. The only major thing left is new lighting.

Tired of waiting? I know I was. :-\

P3enb.jpg

That's the best I can come up with. I'm using a new rom on my phone, and the camera isn't as good as the old one.

Right now I'm just running the sponge in the canister. I have some carbon but I forgot to grab something to put it in. The hoses and fittings weren't as small as I thought they were, so I'm having to run topless. Looks like I'll have to do an egg crate top or find a way to raise my lid even higher.

Hmm, what else. I've set up a drip ato that I'll be watching over the next couple days to get it dialed in. Haven't seen fishy since this morning, I probably scared the crap out of him with all the digging around in the tank today. This little Guy is amazing at finding places to hide in such a tiny space.

Oh, I also got a small Bettastik heater. It's 7.5w. I'm hoping it came keep a relative temp without having to keep the heater on in the room all the time. So far it's staying at 75* but it hasn't been on very long.

Ah, I just saw fishy head. Good good.

Well, except for wanting everything to grow, I'm right about where I want to be with the tank. The only major thing left is new lighting.

Looking really good! Do you have any more details/pics about the drip ato? I need something like that, nice and easy. Thanks

The ato is a simple plastic jug from Walmart, around a half gallon. I punched a hole near the bottom and attached some airline with aquarium silicon. The jug has a screw top and I leave it loose to allow air in. The airline has a flow adjustment valve, cheap one that you turn a knob to adjust. I have it on a shelf a couple feet above the tank. The tank has notches in the rim where glass inserts were meant to go (it's originally designed to house multiple bettas) and I use one of those notches to hold the hose in place. The valve adjusts the drip rate and with my evap I have it on a 9.8 asecond drip.

Something new. I picked up a tiny emerald today because I got some hair on a couple frags I recently added. He's tiny tiny. And pre-molt. I probably shouldn't have bought him, but it was the only one available. I'll let him do his job and see about replacing it with a red mithrax.

1MacL.jpg

Got this frag yesterday. Most of the zoas are a dark greyish brown, but check out the two heads at the top right. Bazing!

bgIIp.jpg

On a down note, I managed to get flatworms. :( I see a few on the glass.

Builder Anthony

That yellow thing is probally a lobophila.If its yellow thats a very odd color for them.Id check out some pictures on the web of that and compare the skeleton.they grow like candy cane corals and uasuallhy have a branching effect bit maybe when they fragged it they cut that off.

I have a large three head red lobo in my 15, this doesn't have the same structure, especially in the mouth area.

I have some bad news. I've been fighting with temperature in this tank because of how cold it is in the house and nobody will leave the door to the room shut when I'm not here. The tank has been going through 10+ degree shifts for the past week. I came home tonight and my hi fin is dead. I can't find the emerald either. And I don't have water or salt for a wc. I'm not counting on much being alive come morning.

I'm pissed.

why

I have a large three head red lobo in my 15, this doesn't have the same structure, especially in the mouth area.

I have some bad news. I've been fighting with temperature in this tank because of how cold it is in the house and nobody will leave the door to the room shut when I'm not here. The tank has been going through 10+ degree shifts for the past week. I came home tonight and my hi fin is dead. I can't find the emerald either. And I don't have water or salt for a wc. I'm not counting on much being alive come morning.

I'm pissed.

why dont you have a heater???

There is a heater in the tank. The smallest I could find that wouldn't take up the whole thing. It just can't keep up with the huge swings.

There is a heater in the tank. The smallest I could find that wouldn't take up the whole thing. It just can't keep up with the huge swings.

then, uh, you don't actually have a heater.

• Like 1

Lol, I'd have to put a 100+w heater in this thing to keep it stable. It just gets way too cold in the room.

So I have two options. One, my girlfriend says that I can take the tank to her place so she can enjoy it as well. I know 100% that she wouldn't do anything other than follow my explicit instructions regarding the tank. Also, I'm there more than anywhere else, so I could keep a good eye on it. As it stands right now I'm only home at night, so I rarely even see my tanks with the lights on.

Two, migrate everything into my 15.

i would move the tank where it'll get the most attention, and you will HAVE to get a heater powerful enough for it or else run it as a temperate tank. reef tanks/reef fish REQUIRE 78-80 degrees and if you can't/won't keep the tank at that level then do a temperate or FW tank.

Builder Anthony

Could throw some handwarmers in a couple of ziplocks if thetes noheat in the place or maybe keep a light close to glass till tommrow.crappy options i guess.

I'm still ticked about the fish, but I've calmed myself a little by tweaking the tank some. I've moved the outlet from the canister to the center and now it seems to be pulling a lot more from the surface. I also removed the optics from the par38. MUCH better coverage now, and I don't have the harsh spotlight effect anymore. I can move it much closer to the surface and still get more even coverage.

b17wq.jpg

I had picked up a 5 gallon to move this into if it goes to my gf's house, but with these couple changes I'm much happier with the tank now. I'll save myself a few bucks and return it.

Archived