Innovative Marine Aquariums

~Mini Bar~

Chew_Magna

I'm still waiting on delivery of the tank, but I thought I'd run something by you guys and get some input. I'm torn between either getting a small canister filter like the zoo Med 501or turning my spec into a sump. If I do the sump, I'd need help in getting it set up as I have no experience with sumps.

For now all I've decided is that the contents of my spec will go in this. I can't even decide if I want a wall view or a peninsula type view with it. I really want to try the sump idea, but I'd have to find a place to fit it all (very limited space) and I'm not sure if it can be drilled. I'm also thinking of stunners for lighting. If I go that route I'll have to wait for my tax return. Or I can keep my par38 over it. I'd have a ton of wasted light due to the dimensions of the tank.

It can be drilled i bought one of those 3.5 gallon beta tank aswell and drilled it to use as a sump for my edge so it def. could be drilled it would be cool to do different style tope. In each compartment

Ha, I almost bought the 3 gallon one as well to use it as a sump for this one. With the inserts already included its like these were almost designed for sump use.

I have another option as well, what about just using the LR for filtration and leaving it all self contained?I have a couple spare pumps laying around that I could use as power heads.

The tank came in yesterday. I'm actually pretty shocked at the quality. $23 got me a very nice tank. They could easily sell this for $40.

Pics will come, imgur is being stupid and not uploading.

So here we are.

Mcio9.jpg

I think for now I'm going to do a simple setup. Barebottom with two small submersible pumps for flow. I'm crossing my fingers on moving soonish, so after that I can do a more elaborate build with it. I have the next two days off, so plan on seeing more very soon.

You asked for it!

0ZFYT.jpg

The pump is temporary. I'm looking at possibly a fluval submersible or something similar. This one does the job on flow, but no filter media. So I have a piece of phosphate pad rubber banded to it. o_O

I'll get some more pics up eventually, imgur has been acting stupid lately and I'm tired of jumping through hoops to get a single image uploaded.

I think my baby pistol was eaten by the hi fin. :( I put them both in a betta cup to acclimate them and when I dumped them in I never saw the shrimp. I'll keep an ear open tonight for the snapping.

I have a couple ideas for the tank.

One, I don't like the bare bottom. Functionally yes, aesthetically no. I'll possibly do a very light, fine sand bed. Black of course.

Next, I think I'm going to use one of these pumps (I have two in the tank right now) and some PVC to make a very basic surface skimmer, something similar to the eheim skim 350 (or is it 305?). Inside that I can drop some floss to handle the mechanical filtration. The other pump will get traded for one that I can run carbon in.

I also need a small heater. It's running slightly cooler than I like.

Lastly, I'm going to make some small standoffs for the lid. Instead of having it cut to allow for cords I'm going to find "something" to use as posts on each corner of the lid and raise it about half an inch. That'll allow room for cords and my ato hose while also allowing some air to get in for gas exchange.

If you have any other ideas, throw them at me!

Hmm, that last post didn't insert any of my paragraph breaks.

I found a solution to one thing, raising the lid. I did it by combining two of my hobbies, saltwater and body piercing! I had some old plugs that I've out grown that are buffalo horn and abalone shell. The abalone had fallen off of two already and the other two came off with no effort. Cheap stuff. I had four and they were all identical size, and they happened to be the perfect height for my standoffs. I just used some aquarium silicon and attached them to the corners. Now my lid fits and my cords and ato hose aren't jacking it up.

oFiHu.jpgGslht.jpgnPaix.jpg

Right now just the pumps. It's staying at 77-78 pretty much constantly. I was a little worried about that at first as my spec stayed around 80-81 (again with no heater). I just let the spec sit inert for a while to drop the temp a couple degrees before moving livestock over. Everything took it like a champ.

Pre-update update. I've decided to go with a canister for this tank. I'd rather do a sump, but I just don't have the space for it. I've ordered the zoo med 501 and I will have carbon and floss/sponge running in it. Once I get it in I'll see about making an overflow for it.

I also got a 5lb bag of sand. I really don't like the bb look. It isn't black though!

I've had a LOT of algae break out the past couple days and luckily I found some dwarf ceriths local, so I grabbed 10. Hopefully that'll get cleared up soon. Most likely from running no filtration.

Next update when my stuff arrives.

Cool tank!

I was getting the same comments about my SpecV from friends and family when I posted pictures and when they finally came over everyone was looking through the house for this big tank and seemed so disappointed when it was sitting on the breakfast bar.

Love the tank it looks sweet but why not just do an aqua clear hob for now until you can sump it?

I want to keep the streamlined look I have right now with no big bulk on the tank. Evap is already bad with the lid raised a half inch, if I do a hob I'll have to go topless and that'll make it worse. Plus I've lost one hi fin to a jump already. I want to keep this one ;)

Cool tank!

I was getting the same comments about my SpecV from friends and family when I posted pictures and when they finally came over everyone was looking through the house for this big tank and seemed so disappointed when it was sitting on the breakfast bar.

Ain't it great?

I forgot to mention earlier, I have two rock nems ordered. Should arrive Friday. I have no idea what they'll look like since we don't get to pick and choose when we order at work. Still excited though! They'll be my first nems.

• Like 1

Archived