Top Shelf Aquatics

idea for rocky seashore/tidepool biotope

Cloudburst2000

Cloudburst2000

Hey everyone, i am interested in possibly setting up a rocky seashore biotope with a tidepool. During college, I took a trip with the biology department to the marine research center located on San Salvadore, Bahamas. While there I did a research paper on Tectarius Muricatus, one of the littorinid gastropods living on the rocky seashore. I would love to have a tank, a paludarium really, that has a good portion of the rock out of the water and sloping down to a cut-out of a tidepool. I am not so much interested in fish as I am in crabs, snails, small nems, etc. My main reservation is about how to stock such an aquarium. I live nowhere near the ocean so collecting is not really feasible. Does anyone know of anyplace where such things can be purchsed...semi-aquatic crabs and snails, etc. It would be pointless to build a biotope and then be unable to stock it.

AquaticEngineer

If you go with a chiller on your system, let me know ;) My favorite semi aquatics crab is the Purple Shore Crab out here in Oregon. I bring em home all the time as feeders for my Ocotpus' but they would be super cool in a semi-aquatic tank :D

Archived