Coral Vue Hydros

Mark's 40B and 46 bow

markalot

Thanks Gina, I'm hoping the polyps stay green but I have another acro that only has green polyps in the first encrusting row, then they turn white. :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 865
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rusty Goby!

I put this little guy in the tank a month ago, lost him, found him living in inside a rock, lost him, then saw him a few days ago jumping up for flake food. He came from a LFS as a hitchhiker on some live rock. He was pretty ragged when I got him but looks great now.

I had to clean the glass (gasp!) to get this picture. :o Handy dandy new scraper on a long handle.

2013031740rustygoby.jpg

Rusty Goby info: http://reefguide.org/carib/rustygoby.html

Scientific Name: Priolepis hipoliti
Family: Gobiidae
Category: Gobies
Size: 0.25 to 1 in. (0.6 to 2.5 cm)
Depth: 10-300 ft. (3-90 m)
Distribution: Caribbean, Bahamas, South Florida, Bermuda

Oh...nice shot!!!! I can never get a good shot of mine since they hang out in the shadows. That's a pretty cool HH :D

Yea, I'm lucky that at least right now he's decided to hang out right next to the side glass. The camera is maybe 2 inches from him. :)

So I made a lighting decision based on the fact this tank looks too sterile, or something. I was running

front

T5HO ATI Blue+

T5HO ATI Purple+

low power blue LED strip

-glass lid hinge-

Reefbright 1W blue/white LED strip

T5HO ATI Blue+

T5HO ATI Coral+

back

My SPS was doing well, but everything else was cowering from the light and the tank did not have ... reaching for descriptive words here ... any fun factor? I have exactly 5 Zoa polyps deep underneath a overhang that show any extension to try and get more light, everything else on the bottom is cowering in fear. :)

So I removed one of my T5 fixtures and replaced with some lower power LED strips, so the new setup is:

front

low power blue/white LED strip (Aquatic Life)

1W blue LED strip (cheap submersible fixture off ebay)

Reefbright 1W blue/white LED strip

-glass lid hinge-

low power blue LED strip

T5HO ATI Purple+

T5HO ATI Coral+

back

Result is slightly darker looking tank, more shimmer up front, but not quite as colorful, same amount of light for the back half where my SPS are located.

Hi Mark, what did you decide about the dosing?

Still working on it, thanks for asking. :)

I have a saturated 2 1/2 gallon jug of Kalc for topoff running 6 hours every night to keep my water level stable and I still must dose 2 part once a day (full cap Seachem, not sure of ml) to prevent Alk from falling. I think my only solution is to buy a couple of dosing pumps and drip 2 part unless I can somehow slow everything down.

Next step, besides some light reduction, is to take some of the plastic guards off my glass lid to increase evaporation and, as a result, the need for more topoff water. I just need 3 days of unattended operation right now, and I'm close. I can get KH up to 10 and have it fall to 7 without any adverse reactions, but right now I'm losing over 1KH a day.

Last night I achieved 10 KH. This took 4 cap fulls each of Seachem 2 part on Sunday and 2 caps each Monday evening. Now to really measure how long it takes to fall to 7, with Kalc dripping at night.

I did notice that SPS polyp extension was much improved above 9 KH. I'm not sure if that's a meaningful observation or not.

As far as lighting goes, I've experimented with a few combinations and for right now I've settles on still using both 2-bulb T5 fixtures with 2 low power LED fixtures, but I'm no longer using ATI bulbs in the front fixture. It sucks because the color is not as good, but the zoas on the substrate, especially the magician pallys, are starting to get their color back.

front

AquaticLife Blue

AquaticLife Purple

low power blue/white LED strip

low power blue LED strip

ATI Purple+

ATI Blue+

back

3/25 FTS under new lighting. The purple Duncans injured in the 20 are just now, after 2 weeks, starting to fully open. Poor things.

2013032540fts.jpg

Mark, Have you seen the new ATI T5/LED fixtures, they look really nice but $$? I am starting to think about a T5/LED mix, how do you like the overall effect using both as opposed to Just T5? I like the coverage of T5 and the punch of LED. I like the reef, rock work is perfect for mix SPS/LPS.

Christine

I like it!!!! Without going back and comparing I'd say it looks more purple. Looks great :)

Thanks Gena. It is a little more purple. :)

Mark, Have you seen the new ATI T5/LED fixtures, they look really nice but $$? I am starting to think about a T5/LED mix, how do you like the overall effect using both as opposed to Just T5? I like the coverage of T5 and the punch of LED. I like the reef, rock work is perfect for mix SPS/LPS.

Christine

I like the mix. I really liked having my reefbright fixture along with the t5's because it provided a lot more shimmer and color pop, but it was just too darn bright. I'm not sure I'm done experimenting with lights yet, but I think a T5 + LED mix is the way to go until LED improves. My ultimate LED fixture would be clusters of 4 or 5 LED's all on a separate channel with individual dimmers. Clustered to minimize or eliminate the disco shadows.

My lights sit on glass directly over the tank, so I think my LED issues are more pronounced and they would be if the fixture was hanging a good distance above the tank.

I measured KH yesterday evening. I went from 10 to 7.8 in 24 hours. :blink:

Thanks for the info Mark on the lighting and what you think about it. I think the mix is a good idea now.

That's a huge drop in KH, could there be some precipitation happening, my reef drops about 0.5 dKH at the most per day and I have some good growth happening now. Since I started balling and adding ALK/Ca 6 times a day, things have been very stable in my tank. I still measure twice a week (just in case) but things are always spot on. Do you add ALK and Ca once a day or several time a day? Sorry for all the questions, just curious :)

Christine

Thanks for the info Mark on the lighting and what you think about it. I think the mix is a good idea now.

That's a huge drop in KH, could there be some precipitation happening, my reef drops about 0.5 dKH at the most per day and I have some good growth happening now. Since I started balling and adding ALK/Ca 6 times a day, things have been very stable in my tank. I still measure twice a week (just in case) but things are always spot on. Do you add ALK and Ca once a day or several time a day? Sorry for all the questions, just curious :)

Christine

Hi, I love questions. :D

I usually just add 2part once every evening, manually, and I've gone from 5ml of each a night up to 10ml to maintain alk. Looking hard at the BRS auto dosing kit for automating it. This tanks has always had issues keeping KH up, and it always falls rapidly. No precipitation that I can see, tank is very clear, but I do have some odd circular or oval "deposits" on the rocks that I assumed where coraline.

Calc was 440, did not test Mag but last time tested it was not low and is in part A of my 2 part.

I ran out of Kent Tech-M so I'll be buying some more tonight, testing Mag, and making any needed adjustments if it's low. I'm wondering if it's a low evaporation issue? I have a skimmer and an open top HOB refugium (detritus and aptasia paradise), but the rest of the tank is fully covered. I drip saturated Kalc for 4 hours each night to maintain water levels.

Mark, Are you adding ALK and Ca at the same time each night?

Precipitation will not necessary make your water cloudy, deposits at the rim of the tank (water line) and on pump magnets, heater, etc are an indicator your elements are not staying in solution. I have not experienced any deposits on rocks, you are right, likely coraline.

Christine

Mark, Are you adding ALK and Ca at the same time each night?

Precipitation will not necessary make your water cloudy, deposits at the rim of the tank (water line) and on pump magnets, heater, etc are an indicator your elements are not staying in solution. I have not experienced any deposits on rocks, you are right, likely coraline.

Christine

Yep, I open the top of my AC110 filter, pour in part 1, wait 5 minutes, pour in part 2. A lot of flow coming out of that filter so it mixes pretty rapidly. There's a Supernatural monti that gets blasted by the Alk (part 2) and will partially close up but then re-open within minutes. Right now it's the fastest growing coral in the tank ... maybe it's eating it all! :D

I have no noticable deposits at the waterline or on the heater, which is covered in coraline algae. I'm still fairly new at this so just because I don't notice it doesn't mean it's not obvious. :)

Yep, I open the top of my AC110 filter, pour in part 1, wait 5 minutes, pour in part 2. A lot of flow coming out of that filter so it mixes pretty rapidly. There's a Supernatural monti that gets blasted by the Alk (part 2) and will partially close up but then re-open within minutes. Right now it's the fastest growing coral in the tank ... maybe it's eating it all! :D

I have no noticable deposits at the waterline or on the heater, which is covered in coraline algae. I'm still fairly new at this so just because I don't notice it doesn't mean it's not obvious. :)

Okay Mark, I see a serious issue with your dosing routine. You need to wait a minimum of two hours between dosing Alk and Ca/Mg, and it's better to wait 4+ hours between dosing, especially if doing only one dose. Dosing it in an area of high flow is good but it still takes a while for the element to become stable in the water.

Could you not dose Alk in the morning and Ca at night?

Also, Magnesium needs to be dosed with Ca or better on it's own away from other dosing. Keep your Mg around 1300-1350 ppm and it will help with the stability of ALK/Ca but NOT guarantee it.

If you are seeing a huge reaction after dosing Alk it may be because the coral is starved of it and it is trying to get what it can before the Alk falls out of solution, although I have not experienced such a reaction so this is speculation only.

Corals should have a stable and equal amount of Alk available in the water. You may be having growth but it may also be stressing the corals. In any case, your dosing is not optimal and I would consider changing the way you do it for better results :).

In a balanced tank, ALK and Ca are basically use up in equal parts, and I find I need quite a bit less of Mg daily, you could probably get away with dosing it twice a week.

Another bonus will be that you will likely save $$$ on elements as none will be wasted or precipitated away.

Christine

Okay Mark, I see a serious issue with your dosing routine. You need to wait a minimum of two hours between dosing Alk and Ca/Mg, and it's better to wait 4+ hours between dosing, especially if doing only one dose. Dosing it in an area of high flow is good but it still takes a while for the element to become stable in the water.

Could you not dose Alk in the morning and Ca at night?

Also, Magnesium needs to be dosed with Ca or better on it's own away from other dosing. Keep your Mg around 1300-1350 ppm and it will help with the stability of ALK/Ca but NOT guarantee it.

If you are seeing a huge reaction after dosing Alk it may be because the coral is starved of it and it is trying to get what it can before the Alk falls out of solution, although I have not experienced such a reaction so this is speculation only.

Corals should have a stable and equal amount of Alk available in the water. You may be having growth but it may also be stressing the corals. In any case, your dosing is not optimal and I would consider changing the way you do it for better results :).

In a balanced tank, ALK and Ca are basically use up in equal parts, and I find I need quite a bit less of Mg daily, you could probably get away with dosing it twice a week.

Another bonus will be that you will likely save $$$ on elements as none will be wasted or precipitated away.

Christine

Great information, thanks.

I can certainly dose separately, morning and evening, so I will start doing that. I'm using seachem Reef Fusion, which has Calcium, Mag, and some other crap in part 1, and alk in part 2. The bottle says 5 minutes is enough time, but if that ends up requiring MORE dosing then ... well, good instructions for them. :)

I'll do just part 2 for a few days while monitoring calcium and mag until I see a better balance, then start alternating. Seems like part 2 would be better in the morning, when PH is not a big factor, and part 1 in the evening.

Great information, thanks.

I can certainly dose separately, morning and evening, so I will start doing that. I'm using seachem Reef Fusion, which has Calcium, Mag, and some other crap in part 1, and alk in part 2. The bottle says 5 minutes is enough time, but if that ends up requiring MORE dosing then ... well, good instructions for them. :)

I'll do just part 2 for a few days while monitoring calcium and mag until I see a better balance, then start alternating. Seems like part 2 would be better in the morning, when PH is not a big factor, and part 1 in the evening.

I have never been a fan of Seachem or their methodology, some people like it though. I used their Ca and ALK and could never get things stable in a tank I had years ago. I switched to Brightwell's powder Ca/Alk/Mg and have been happy with it so far. Yes it's the "some other crap" part I didn't like, LOL

So anyway, give it a week and test more often Ca/Alk and see if things change, I would also do some bigger water changes to get the salt balance back as well. Love to hear what happens.

Christine

I have never been a fan of Seachem or their methodology, some people like it though. I used their Ca and ALK and could never get things stable in a tank I had years ago. I switched to Brightwell's powder Ca/Alk/Mg and have been happy with it so far. Yes it's the "some other crap" part I didn't like, LOL

So anyway, give it a week and test more often Ca/Alk and see if things change, I would also do some bigger water changes to get the salt balance back as well. Love to hear what happens.

Christine

KH stayed above 7 after switching to morning dosing and skipping 1 dose of Calcium. Kh 7.8, Calc 420. Yay. :)

Quick picture dump. Jackass Hammer, Supernatural Monti, and Lobo Brain went over to my 46.

FTS

2013032940fts.jpg

I'd really like to know exactly what Acro this is. Best looking coral in the tank.

2013032940testacro.jpg

The skimmer quit 2 days ago, so today is the day I take the entire HOB refugium out and clean/kill all the nasties in it. Skimmer issue ended up being a clogged air line. Cleaned and installed new line. Refug is empty so now comes the dreaded cleaning. Got my gloves ready.

From this point on I will run it without light and just as a place to do dosing and add fresh water. Hopefully the skimmer plus weekly water changes will be enough to keep everything happy. I have yet to measure any nitrates in this tank using either API crappy kit or the Red Sea pro color wheeleo kit.

It's revealing what a clean refugium will tell you.

I dripped my kalc water and dosed pert 2 (alk) of 2 part in the now clean and empty refugium. Shining the light down into it last night I noticed a cloudy mess. I stirred it up last night and made the entire tank cloudy, but no reaction from the corals or fish. I rock (literally). :( Looks like the flow is too low through the refugium to dose anything ... so it is now officially useless ... except as an elaborate bubble trap for the skimmer.

Milky mess at the bottom:

2013033140refugium.jpg

Moved the topoff hose to the output pad. Not sure if this will work or not.

2013033140refugium2.jpg

I also cleaned all my pumps, including the wet side of the MP10. Another all day job.

Looks like the milky mess at the bottom is your precipitate? I would siphon it out, as it will never go into solution now.

So things are becoming more stable now Mark?

Christine :)

Looks like the milky mess at the bottom is your precipitate? I would siphon it out, as it will never go into solution now.

So things are becoming more stable now Mark?

Christine :)

Things are much more stable, yes! Alk this morning was 7.8, calcium 410, and this was after only dosing Alk yesterday afternoon (which is mostly at the bottom of the refugium me thinks). I will dose part1 (calcium) this afternoon and begin normal 2 part dosing (morning alk, evening calc) and monitor the levels to try an determine just how much I need to add daily.

I'm planning to siphon the bottom of the refugium each water change to try and keep this detritus trap cleaner. Is the precipitate normal, or is it a sign the flow through there is too low to properly mix either the kalc or 2 part?

Oh, and peroxide IS the miracle cleaner, I can;t get enough of this stuff. I used an entire bottle cleaning the refugium which was an ugly brown green slimy mess with about 50 aptasia anemones scattered about. Gloves, peroxide, paper towels and ro/di for a good rinse was all I needed.

Archived