inTank Media Baskets

Mark's 40B and 46 bow

markalot

• Replies 865
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking great! I really love how happy that anemone is looking :)

Thanks. For whatever reason that anemone has been happy since day 1 and never given me any trouble. It's moved 3 times, which makes life interesting, but nothing dramatic.

It's pretty, whatever color morph it is.

Yep, i agree. Thanks. :)

Looks like the new light is paying off Mark :).

Thanks. The 46 had the cheap Aquatic Life 1W LED strip light and I've been very happy with it, including the pink! LED's.

FTS of the 40 and 46. I have been turning up the Maxspect Razor over my 40 as the corals browned out a bit. This is not as bright as I thought it would be, especially compared to the t5's I used to have over top of it. Getting 500 par on top of the glass, which is pretty bad IMO, but I have not done underwater par tests yet. I have a custom BuildMyLED strip on order to sit at the front of the tank and help with the light spread. I need more flow and light.

What you can't see in the 40 pic is how colorful some of my small acro frags are. I removed the brown turd which had refused to color up in 6 weeks and replaced with a couple more frags that look to have potential. Just waiting and watching at this point.

40 FTS 7.8 KH (7.6 last week), 440 ca

y25q.jpg

46 FTS (9.0 KH, 450 ca)

z5d6.jpg

Holy WOW, Mark!!!!! That 40g is looking incredible :wub:. Looks like a TOTM to me!!!!!

Thanks Gena I appreciate the thought, but I don't think this is in the same league. I have a long list of tanks I'd like to see win TOTM. :D

Thanks Gena I appreciate the thought, but I don't think this is in the same league. I have a long list of tanks I'd like to see win TOTM. :D

I'd have to disagree :).

I cleaned the WP-25 in the 40, forgetting just how powerful it was when clean and now I have a pile of sand up on the front left side. I seem to be maxed at about 60X turnover without blowing sand around and I want more flow.

I'm getting tired of the big birdsnest on the right side. I had to frag / break some pieces due to shading and now it looks terrible since it's just a tangled mess. Part of me wants to completely clear the rock for something else and part of me wants to keep it since it's one of my oldest colonies. I took a branch and put it in my 29 gallon so see how it does there. If it does well I might just take it all out, or at least a bug chunk. I guess I could also grow a big colony of it in my 46. I noticed while cleaning the WP25 that I have another complete colony sitting in the sand behind the rock where a piece fell off at some point. THE UNSTOPPABLE BIRD!

I still want a Ponape birdsnest but have yet to see one locally.

Arkayology

I cleaned the WP-25 in the 40, forgetting just how powerful it was when clean and now I have a pile of sand up on the front left side. I seem to be maxed at about 60X turnover without blowing sand around and I want more flow.

I'm getting tired of the big birdsnest on the right side. I had to frag / break some pieces due to shading and now it looks terrible since it's just a tangled mess. Part of me wants to completely clear the rock for something else and part of me wants to keep it since it's one of my oldest colonies. I took a branch and put it in my 29 gallon so see how it does there. If it does well I might just take it all out, or at least a bug chunk. I guess I could also grow a big colony of it in my 46. I noticed while cleaning the WP25 that I have another complete colony sitting in the sand behind the rock where a piece fell off at some point. THE UNSTOPPABLE BIRD!

I still want a Ponape birdsnest but have yet to see one locally.

What do you do when you clean the wp25? Just curious. Do you just take the impeller out and brush it off?

What do you do when you clean the wp25? Just curious. Do you just take the impeller out and brush it off?

Yea. I keep power to the controller but unplug the pump from the controller, then remove the pump from it's holder, twist off the front, and clean all the parts. The impeller assembly has a lot of play and gets mucked up, which reduces performance. A simple wipe with a paper towel will usually bring it back to at least 90% power but I believe, due to amount of play, any obstruction in the intake can easily slow down the impeller as well. 5 minute job to do a good cleaning with a toothbrush, so no complaints.

Arkayology

Yea. I keep power to the controller but unplug the pump from the controller, then remove the pump from it's holder, twist off the front, and clean all the parts. The impeller assembly has a lot of play and gets mucked up, which reduces performance. A simple wipe with a paper towel will usually bring it back to at least 90% power but I believe, due to amount of play, any obstruction in the intake can easily slow down the impeller as well. 5 minute job to do a good cleaning with a toothbrush, so no complaints.

That's kinda what I thought. I was just checking because everyone says that they clean these things out but I wanted to know what people actually did. I need to clean mine this weekend.

Ok,

picture dump of my 40. These are the last pics without a true 1:1 macro lens, which will arrive tomorrow. :D

Purple Fuzzy Acro (no idea what it actually is)

25kdw.jpg

Green Acro with bright blue tips (over exposed here). Looks like this might turn a nice yellowish color. Maybe.

2zub.jpg

Green Polyp Acro

39fb.jpg

I put this acro in back and I think it has the best coloration, but I am unable to capture it with the camera. Purple and turquoise and not much in between.

csuej.jpg

This replaced the turd. It looked nearly black on the frag rack and is still quite dark but showing some hints of color.

m9goh.jpg

Green monti with red polyps. Slow slow grower for me.

4dkl7.jpg

Undata

oszh.jpg

Montipora capitata

0v9bc.jpg

My ORA Supernatural was not getting enough light so I broke it off the rock it was on and placed it up front. Looks alive, just missing color.

6pqq3.jpg

ORA Green Tip birdsnest. meh. Looks good now, but it's directly under a royal blue stunner strip which highlights the blue polyps. The orange skin is interesting, but never a real eye catcher.

vos6.jpg

Center view with Herman, the big thin stripe, posing.

d8hq.jpg

Tank is looking great, I too fear the ever wandering anemone, wish there was a way to tie a leash to those things... <_<

Tank is looking great, I too fear the ever wandering anemone, wish there was a way to tie a leash to those things... <_<

Yea, makes life interesting. :) Thanks for the comment.

Great shots Mark, looking really good.

Thanks Jason.

The Tamron 90mm macro lens arrived. I only had an hour to use it before I had to go out.

98q3.jpg

Rainbow Milli in the 46. Looking for AEFW and I don't see any damage so I'm very tempted to scrub the plug, dip, and move into the 40 where I can improve this guys health AND see how rainbowee it really is.

ikyb.jpg

gci5.jpg

vbo2p.jpg

eokr.jpg

O my, that blenny, (if that's what it is) is just too cute!!! Those are some pretty awesome pics!.

Yea, a Starry Blenny. :) I was lining up for the rainbow milly and he popped up and sat still for a pic. He owns the tank, unless he ticks off momma clown and has to hide for a while.

I don't think I could have a tank without a Blenny.

The pics turned out well, it's a great lens but the photographer needs some work. :)

Yea, a Starry Blenny. :)

I don't think I could have a tank without a Blenny.

The pics turned out well, it's a great lens but the photographer needs some work. :)

Yes I agree, blennies are the best. They have such personalities. I have a midas blenny right now and he has a puppy dog face. He was the last fish I added but he is king, hence his name King Midas!

Hubba bubba that has potential!

Thanks, I hope so!

Nice shots. Remind me, what camera are you shooting with?

Thanks. Nikon D3100 on sale. I'm not 100% happy with it, missing some key features like locking the lens up, but there are work arounds. I think I would go Canon if I had to do it again.

Arkayology

Thanks. Nikon D3100 on sale. I'm not 100% happy with it, missing some key features like locking the lens up, but there are work arounds. I think I would go Canon if I had to do it again.

I like my canon t2i

Archived