Top Shelf Aquatics

Mark's 40B and 46 bow

markalot

• Replies 865
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That last photo is awesome! Very crisp and great color!

Thanks.

So in ironic news, the bubble algae infestation that has managed to keep the Xenia in check is starting to fade. I'm counting on the bubble algae to keep it from spreading like crazy. :D Hopefully it's just a passing phase. My emerald crabs, both of them, have never shown any interest but I suppose they might be starting to pick at it.

Nothing extraordinary here, but while the pumps where off I shot a quick video of the Rainford picking at them, and the Neon coming up to visit.

Ok, more pics that I took last night. Handheld, lazy photos. :)

The middle of the 40

dsc0223edit.jpg

Right side of the 40. I discovered the colored epoxy and covered up the white area that contained the AEFW infected coral. Better than bright white, but still pretty noticeable. :) That's my rapidly growing frag of pocillopora on top of the mound.

dsc0222edit.jpg

The strawberry colored acro is regaining color.

dsc0226edit.jpg

Side shot of the pocillopora. The back side was covered in algae when I got it. I helped with some superglue and it's done the rest, slowly pushing the algae away.

dsc0228edit.jpg

The Sunset monti has really colored up since moving it from the 40. This is very close to the lights and very close to the MP10. I thought I would have to move it because the flow is so high, but it loves it. Notice the brown algae around it. This had covered all the rocks in the highest flow areas but is decreasing in coverage every day now.

dsc0242edit.jpg

For comparison, here is the Sunset on May 25th, soon after I moved it.

dsc0101edit.jpg

One additional picture from the 46.

This is another new coral from the nearby LFS. It had been a white skeleton for weeks, sitting in their frag tank, but started to show some color so I bought it on the cheap. I am hoping it is Pavona frondifera, but it's most likely a small piece of Pavona cactus. It's gained a lot of green coloring in just 3 days.

dsc0266edit.jpg

You could have flow restrictions with that big rock on the left side which will build detritus and other host of issues. I made a flow detector after I read about it on someones thread. Basically tie a few pieces of string on the end of a stick or turkey baster or something long. Move it around the tank to see where it moves the least: that's your flow detector stick.

img20130602184143.jpg

You could have flow restrictions with that big rock on the left side which will build detritus and other host of issues. I made a flow detector after I read about it on someones thread. Basically tie a few pieces of string on the end of a stick or turkey baster or something long. Move it around the tank to see where it moves the least: that's your flow detector stick.

I was concerned about that so I have a larger nano pump back there, blowing toward the center back of the tank. Flow goes from the front left of the rock back toward the pump and then around toward the center back. Not sure it's enough, but there is flow. I'm trying to get a sort of wind tunnel effect in the back to keep things from settling.

Backup air pumps installed.

They are these: http://www.bigalspets.com/silent-air-battery-operated-air-pump-b11.html

They are not silent, but why care about that. The plug on one of them did not fit in the outlet correctly and broke off when I tried to bend it. I spliced in another plug, which is something that should never ever be done. :o I'll buy a replacement once we get back.

Pumps produce a lot of bubbles and overall I'm pleased with them.

Re-filled my topoff water containers mixed with Reef Builder, checked KH and Calcium on both tanks, 9-10 KH, 490-500 Ca, and added my weekly dose of Magnesium.

Did you ever find the cause of the RTN and browning of the SPS?

Howdy,

no I did not. I assumed all kinds of things, but the more I learn the less I believe I know exactly what happened. :)

One more, taken with the SLR. View from our cabin ... cell tower of 'yay I have internets' on the right side.

wz55.jpg

Trying not to think about the tanks.

Got back yesterday. Both tanks looked better then when I left, especially the 40. Colors increased, but some of my old pests are back as well, including flatworms and caulerpa. Obviously nutrients have increased, and it looks good even with the problems.

The topoff in he 46 failed to work, so it lost 4 day of water. I don't have much evaporation, and even though the temp climbed to 83 before we lowered the AC nothing shows any signs of stress.

Alk in the 40 was 7.5 (usually 9.5) and calcium 480. Didn't measure anything else.

Great news on the tanks showing some progress. A yellow Coris or six line wrasse would make quick work of flatworms. Caulerpa can be so invasive. I put some in my display fuge not to long ago and its already trying to attach to all the neighboring corals and rocks. I didn't realize how fast this stuff spreads. So next time my hands are in the tank cleaning i'm yanking it all out.

Good news on the tank progress. :)

The sixline wrasse in my nano is always pecking at stuff on the rocks. I have noticed a significant decrease of FW on the rocks.

It seems to not notice or ignores the FWs on the glass though. I cannot imagine why. :wacko:

I had a sixline, sent him back to the LFS when he went psycho at around 9 months. Literally picking at every other fish, driving them all into corners. I had to remove a lot of rocks to get him out, and honestly it may have contributed to whatever crashed my tank about a month after that. I'll put up with the flatworms. :)

Yay for a successful vacation away from the tanks. Gorgeous view you had! I think I'll set up a camera before we go on vacation, so I can check in on the tank. I'd like to be able to see if water is spilling over the sides. :lol:

Gatlinburg Aquarium (Ripleys Aquarium of the Smokies) pics and a few others thrown in for good measure. The aquarium was ok, but the only reef tank was labeled live coral and had some lame plackard talking about how corals reproduce. No species descriptions, labels, nothing.

k9jq.jpg

8739.jpg

hxp7.jpg

9vh.jpg

lq6t.jpg

dlvh.jpg

u5md.jpg

84x0.jpg

6kob.jpg

os9.jpg

bnnf.jpg

v44c.jpg

q9r8.jpg

lhlo.jpg

cwgw.jpg

lst7.jpg

c8wa.jpg

5sei.jpg

dil4.jpg

h2pg.jpg

v05l.jpg

k94r.jpg

54hc.jpg

6fiy.jpg

62w9.jpg

yk9l.jpg

We hiked 2.5 miles up into the smokies. Camera can't really do justice to the scenery.

ook4.jpg

ftjl.jpg

szxb.jpg

This looks dangerous. Kids, you go first.

mjfo.jpg

Acceptably blury pic of wife convincing kids to go barefoot in cold creek after a 5 hour hike. I kept my shoes on.

5wb5.jpg

wz55.jpg

I saw cuttle fish and those red orb thingees in the next picture and went omgomgomg

Very nice pictures Mark.

Thanks.

The kids loved the different fish, I'm just not a fish person anymore ... I want CORAL!

I did like the clown goby in the reef display, and in their big feature tank (with moving sidewalk) there were 15 or 20+ neon gobys doing their thing right at the entrance to the display, but it was too dark to get a picture.

Archived