Pod Your Reef

Bello's 47 Gallon Drop Off Reef

Bello

I'm not quite sure. It might be, it might not be.

If budget is not too much of a problem, could you do the new Maxspect Razor 60w? That way, should you upgrade later, could come in handy...

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too late, It's all done and in the hood. It was the one by rapid LED. IMO, LED looks much better than metal halide.

You won't have me arguing with you on that :D. Switched to LED's years ago and have no regrets.

Didn't know you already had it installed. Glad you like it. Plus with DIY, you can always switch out led's to get the look you like.

How's everything doing?

So so.....Got cyano, realized i'm running the tank at ULNS....Now trying to increase nutrients.... :)

Tried to take some pics, but the cyano ruined 'em.... but here's one....

20130312006_zps9c208449.jpg

Sorry to hear about the cyanobacteria. Cut down Start3 a bit slowly every day (how much are you dosing?) , Stop dosing Food7 completely. I would watch nutrients, you want to decrease them, not increase them. Take out some GFO media if you think PO4 is getting too low, don't feed more. Can't remember if you are running bio-pellets, if so remove 1/3 of the pellets from the reactor.

When nutrients get too low people often start feeding more, this can lead to other issues as detritus builds up. If your filtration is too effective then reduce some of the filtration, it's a better long term solution.

If the cyanobacteria persists you should PM me, I have a solution for that as well. Cyanobacteria

was one of the first life forms on earth btw. :happydance:

Can you PM me your current dosing schedule, product, and amounts.

Christine

Hey Christine,

Just saw the post. It's not a whole lot of cyano but annoying enough. I'm not currently carbon dosing in this tank.

NO3 and PO4 are both 0, and some of the sps have definitely lightened, so it looks like pretty low nutrients. It seems that the filtration,was in fact too effective, as you mentioned :D . Won't harvest the chaeto for a bit then. Also, plan to add another fish in there, Centropyge Tibicin, and start feeding a lil more.

The last time this happened I didn't really bother, and the tank levelled out after 3 weeks, so hopefully.....

• 3 weeks later...

Got some time to snap some amateurish pics :)

Acans

20130404024_zpsfe7b46c1.jpg

Chalice

20130404026_zps1ed71e12.jpg

Reorganized the rockwork, to place all sps frags on one rock,

20130404086_zpsf80bbaf2.jpg

And of course the FTS,

20130404083_zps3ed69156.jpg

Not in the drop off, but love these zooas :)

20130404065_zps79c6801e.jpg

Bello, that setosa looks like crap in your tank, you should send it to me :) LOL

Lots of corals on the rack Bello, you should go into business fingerscrossed

Thanks for the update

Christine

Hey Christine, lol :D

Promise that when I visit Canada, I'll get you a nice big piece :D . I've actually got setosa growing really well, and it's incredibly hardy to boot!

Wouldn't it be nice to be around our tanks all day and get paid for it? Doubt I'll ever get fed up. I really didn't know where to place all those corals, since the tanks gonna be sps dominated, so frag rack for now. I found the tank to be a little too messy, just wanted to simplify things.

Hopefully, the next update will have better sps, fingers crossed :)

Wanna get some sea-fans or some nice sps to add onto the drop off edge. BTW, that acan in your avatar looks insane!!!

Do you have a link to your 300g systems anywhere?

Hey Christine, lol :D

Promise that when I visit Canada, I'll get you a nice big piece :D . I've actually got setosa growing really well, and it's incredibly hardy to boot!

Wouldn't it be nice to be around our tanks all day and get paid for it? Doubt I'll ever get fed up. I really didn't know where to place all those corals, since the tanks gonna be sps dominated, so frag rack for now. I found the tank to be a little too messy, just wanted to simplify things.

Hopefully, the next update will have better sps, fingers crossed :)

Bring me some SPS when you visit :ninja:

Nice pics :D

reeferman81

Your the 2nd one today to ask not really a link but I do have a pic I snapped yesterday.IMG_20130316_172309_396.jpg

I do need to make a thread.

Wasn't really into forums until I got in nanos lol

Jordon, as soon as you put something in your tank, I'll promise. I'M WAITING :haha: .

My uncle from Mississauga may be visiting in the next couple of months, but that might be a bit too far off?

Reeferman, looks like you got a sweet aquascape and some crazy frags in there... Do plan to let those frags on the barebottom encrust over and then have a coral bed?

Yeah, looks like its time to start a thread :)

Jordon, as soon as you put something in your tank, I'll promise. I'M WAITING :haha: .

My uncle from Mississauga may be visiting in the next couple of months, but that might be a bit too far off?

Reeferman, looks like you got a sweet aquascape and some crazy frags in there... Do plan to let those frags on the barebottom encrust over and then have a coral bed?

Yeah, looks like its time to start a thread :)

I'm waiting too! I've had the worst luck as of late with orders, bad LFS's and now i'll be out of town soon, so another delay *sigh* I'm now planning to place an order as soon as i get back from my trip. It's going to be a large order (for me anyways!)

Do you think there will be any issues with adding many frags at once?

And yes, Reeferman, create a thread! Amazing tank :)

Hmmm, adding many frags at once....I doubt there'll be issues...I'm sure you'll be dipping them for pests anyways.

Only thing to watch out for is the possible faster than normal decrease in alk levels. In a way, its better to get them at one go, simply because its easier to place them appropriately and aesthetically at once, and then leave 'em be thereafter.

You've really had a run of crap luck with stocking the tank... but that's how it is :) . Just can't get what you want, when you want. Stick with what you planned for, don't compromise.... I'm just kidding with the "get something in there already" omgomgomg

reeferman81

Wanna get some sea-fans or some nice sps to add onto the drop off edge. BTW, that acan in your avatar looks insane!!!

Do you have a link to your 300g systems anywhere?

I just fragged some acans off that colony

• 1 month later...

Thanks man :), historically I've had Foxfaces getting mangled with Ecotech MP40's... Guess they go for the algae on the pump, and are surprised by the sudden ramp up.... Hopefully this guy turns out to be smarter... This is still a temp tank for him though, will move to a 100g in a while.

Thanks for looking :) , couldn't find your build thread? Link?

Blubbernaut

Thanks man :), historically I've had Foxfaces getting mangled with Ecotech MP40's... Guess they go for the algae on the pump, and are surprised by the sudden ramp up.... Hopefully this guy turns out to be smarter... This is still a temp tank for him though, will move to a 100g in a while.

Thanks for looking :) , couldn't find your build thread? Link?

Well, your foxy is still a beast, whether or not it has the average intelligence

of a pea.

Yeah....Don't have a thread yet....And won't for a good while. I'm getting stuff fixed up after a three month long saga....

Archived