Cultivated Reef

Bello's 47 Gallon Drop Off Reef

Bello

Now that is a great start!!! You shoulda seen my first tank...... not pretty!

What are the dims? Are you using LED's? Stocking goals?

Think its time that you do start a thread :haha:

Thanks :) Dimensions are 20"x12"10" [wxdxh] ~10g, I'm using the MaxSpect Razor 120w 16k fixture, overkill? NO! Hahaha as for stocking, i'm going to dive into SPS mostly. I am still trying to find a coral that gives a bit of movement though without overgowing the tank too quickly. i'm thinking 1-2 fish max. Tailspot Blenny is one of my fav's, but still trying to figure out some other options too!

You're right though, I plan on starting a thread soon. I'll keep you posted B)

I purchased ZEOstart3, ZEOfood7, and ZEObak to help with bacteria populations after my initial cycle has begun. I used CaribSea Arag-Alive and read that the supplements don't "go well" with that sand (something with the bacteria CaribSea uses conflicts with ZEO's) So i'm going to wait a bit until the initial cycle is complete before I add the ZEO supplements.

Not planning to go full ZEO with this tank, but I like what they offer. :) Any tips for my dip into ZEO? Do I continue using the supplements throughout the life of the tank, or just the initial cycle to populate that bacteria? :unsure:

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please tell me which reagent B you have in the RedSea potassium Kit. Is it a dropper style or do you need a syringe to administer the Reagent B, left or right one in picture?

8499309038_c2d2aa987e.jpg

Thanks for the tips, Christine, and yep, there's no way I would run BP's, may as well return to full zeo.

I believe the mistake I made was in getting the nutrients pretty low, and not balancing correctly. Add to that, I'm using a DIY led fixture of about 300w on a 100g, its fairly intense coupled with the low nutrients. In any case, I can't tread that line anymore.

Coral health is still primary. Good thing is I still have a lot of the zeo supplements, so currently using CV, AA's and some Start3 in the main system. Already have the RedSea K and I test kits, but too lazy to test :D

Thanks :) Dimensions are 20"x12"10" [wxdxh] ~10g, I'm using the MaxSpect Razor 120w 16k fixture, overkill? NO! Hahaha as for stocking, i'm going to dive into SPS mostly. I am still trying to find a coral that gives a bit of movement though without overgowing the tank too quickly. i'm thinking 1-2 fish max. Tailspot Blenny is one of my fav's, but still trying to figure out some other options too!

You're right though, I plan on starting a thread soon. I'll keep you posted B)

I purchased ZEOstart3, ZEOfood7, and ZEObak to help with bacteria populations after my initial cycle has begun. I used CaribSea Arag-Alive and read that the supplements don't "go well" with that sand (something with the bacteria CaribSea uses conflicts with ZEO's) So i'm going to wait a bit until the initial cycle is complete before I add the ZEO supplements.

Not planning to go full ZEO with this tank, but I like what they offer. :) Any tips for my dip into ZEO? Do I continue using the supplements throughout the life of the tank, or just the initial cycle to populate that bacteria? :unsure:

Yes get a thread JDH :)

Just a note here on the Arag-live, Zeovit recommends against using it with their system. You may also find it releases copious amounts of phosphates for a long time. I had hair algae growing on the substrate shortly after I used it. I couldn't believe it :(

Christine

Zeo? Could you explain please the last few pages i was lost between the bw sc and zoe and ohhh lord i forgot the others:/

Lol, ooops, apologies for the confusion..

Thing is, I also have an independent 300g total volume system, that serves as my main system.

This drop-off now essentially serves as my holding tank. Will post probably post some pics of that system on this thread too, a lil later :-)

Hey Jordan...(your name on your sig is too small, missed it before :) )

Good buy in my opinion on the Razor. Overkill? At 100%, a wee bit maybe, simply cos' of the optics and the shallow tank. But, this could be very interesting if you can make it work. I remember Howard Roy, from Maxspect, was running 2 160w G2 units with optics, on a pretty small tank, and sps looked great.

Those are nice dimensions. Plus buying the 120w means that should you ever upgrade, you wouldn't need to worry about the lights.

As far as fish are concerned, my eternal love would always be the Orchid Dottyback, pseudochromis fridmani. Although I've never kept a Tailspot blenny, and those look pretty cool too.

As far as Zeo is concerned, I used it for a long time, but only the basics, and thanks to my toxicity issues, I never really got a chance to truly enjoy its potential. It can give you crazy levels of control, but needs to be understood well.

But no worries, Christine (Nanotopia) is here and I'm sure she'll be glad to help out :D . Time you got that thread up and running :)

Please tell me which reagent B you have in the RedSea potassium Kit. Is it a dropper style or do you need a syringe to administer the Reagent B, left or right one in picture?

I went through your thread Christine, I have the one where the syringe is required. It's quite a laborious task for K, and seemed to be the same value as the KZ test, on the only occasion I used it. Looks like its time to run some tests again. BTW, their NO3 kit is awesome. Very accurate and high resolution.

Yes get a thread JDH :)

Just a note here on the Arag-live, Zeovit recommends against using it with their system. You may also find it releases copious amounts of phosphates for a long time. I had hair algae growing on the substrate shortly after I used it. I couldn't believe it :(

Christine

Thanks for the tips, I don't think it would be an issue for my initial cycle to complete though, and then start with the ZEO. Caribsea is so well regarded though. I hope that's not the case with my tank :/

Hey Jordan...(your name on your sig is too small, missed it before :) )

Good buy in my opinion on the Razor. Overkill? At 100%, a wee bit maybe, simply cos' of the optics and the shallow tank. But, this could be very interesting if you can make it work. I remember Howard Roy, from Maxspect, was running 2 160w G2 units with optics, on a pretty small tank, and sps looked great.

Those are nice dimensions. Plus buying the 120w means that should you ever upgrade, you wouldn't need to worry about the lights.

As far as fish are concerned, my eternal love would always be the Orchid Dottyback, pseudochromis fridmani. Although I've never kept a Tailspot blenny, and those look pretty cool too.

As far as Zeo is concerned, I used it for a long time, but only the basics, and thanks to my toxicity issues, I never really got a chance to truly enjoy its potential. It can give you crazy levels of control, but needs to be understood well.

But no worries, Christine (Nanotopia) is here and I'm sure she'll be glad to help out :D . Time you got that thread up and running :)

Thanks, yes my apologies, I did not mean to clog your wonderful thread up with my questions. I have created a thread (link in my sig) ;) That was my thought with the lights as well. on a tank this size,. who knows if I'll ever even go above 50% intensity, but either way it's a nice fixture. I also loved the spectrum :)

Fish are so hard to decide on!

Back to the good stuff. DROP OFF!

Jordon, the Caribsea is a good product but I am not crazy about their live substrates. I use their aragonite but not the live one. I also soak it in RO water for a month before using it, changing the water out weekly. This helps release bound phosphates and reduce PO4 issues with it.

Christine

Thanks for the tips, I don't think it would be an issue for my initial cycle to complete though, and then start with the ZEO. Caribsea is so well regarded though. I hope that's not the case with my tank :/

It was eating NLS pellets. I had it for a year and a half. Completely reef-safe too. Just lost it recently due to disease. My fault. Proved to be difficult to get out of the system for treatment :(

I'll probably be off Centropyge's for a while now.

Wow..our fish were like twins..mine also recently died from a disease, also my fault. Lol but they truly are awesome. Not sure if there is another centropyge that really compares/.

Wow..our fish were like twins..mine also recently died from a disease, also my fault. Lol but they truly are awesome. Not sure if there is another centropyge that really compares/.

2 of a kind :D

I've always loved Centropyges, but now after going pretty much full sps, I'm a bit wary. Really don't wanna rip off the scape to catch 'em if they don't co-operate.

Currently, have only a C. Tibicen, almost a couple years old now, toying with the idea of putting him the drop-off, but not too sure....

Yeah I have a FOWLR that I'm setting up I'll probably put one in. I don't really want to risk them with coral.

Hmm, I actually have a 75g FOWLR at my parent's place. You've got me thinking about a trio of angels (maybe more ;) ) now.

Only problem with that plan, is that I won't be able to monitor initial aggression between additions properly. Still, maybe...... :)

How big a FOWLR you going for?

Edit: Checked your profile 50g fowlr? Not sure what the recommended tank size for butterflies in general is, but a couple with a dwarf angel.....would look sweet!

That's a beautiful tank! Although, to be honest, I'm kinda surprised that you can fit that much coral in one tank without World War C occurring.....

Maybe not WWII, but war was definitely waged! I didn't have much of choice with stocking since I took down my 265g and moved the corals from there, so started off with pretty big pieces.

Didn't lose any pieces, but learnt that Acan Echinata are really deadly! Leaving aside the war, removing certain pieces (xenia) from the vicinity of others (cloves), allowed the them to thrive, where they were lying stagnant for months.

In the latest FTS, I've pretty much removed a lot of softie and lps colonies to make way for sps frags, so no more war....for now :D

20130227001_zps5bcb385d.jpg

Hmm, I actually have a 75g FOWLR at my parent's place. You've got me thinking about a trio of angels (maybe more ;) ) now.

Only problem with that plan, is that I won't be able to monitor initial aggression between additions properly. Still, maybe...... :)

How big a FOWLR you going for?

Edit: Checked your profile 50g fowlr? Not sure what the recommended tank size for butterflies in general is, but a couple with a dwarf angel.....would look sweet!

Yeah I've actually been looking into butterflies but I haven't found one yet that will fit in a tank that small! But I'm definitely having a dwarf angel (maybe a pair), a mimic filefish, and some sort of wrasse.

Blubbernaut

What type of light are you using (metal halide, led, etc....)? I'm switching over to LED in a few days, and wanted to know if it's a good idea.

One of the most unique designs I've seen here and very aesthetically pleasing. Nicely done sir!

Thanks :D , I hope that I can improve on it, and move towards a more natural look :D

Neato. :happy:

I'm honored :D!!

Thanks for posting the FTS :happy:

So in the future, do you plan to run this as a reef again?

Well, I do hope so. Hopefully when the frags grow out, things should look better.

I do need to move out that frag rack from the fts, looks silly. Maybe get a few NPS if possible. Let's see :)

What type of light are you using (metal halide, led, etc....)? I'm switching over to LED in a few days, and wanted to know if it's a good idea.

This tank uses 9 strips of DIY leds, with 6 x 3w leds each. Total 162w. Pic of the lights here

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/312935-bellos-mini-drop-off/?p=4107166

I switched to leds about 3 years ago, and am pretty happy. What unit are you looking to purchase?

Yeah I've actually been looking into butterflies but I haven't found one yet that will fit in a tank that small! But I'm definitely having a dwarf angel (maybe a pair), a mimic filefish, and some sort of wrasse.

Sounds pretty cool! Are the mimic filefish FOWLR-safe? Seems like they'd go after crustaceans, if you intend on keeping any.

Sounds pretty cool! Are the mimic filefish FOWLR-safe? Seems like they'd go after crustaceans, if you intend on keeping any.

I think they are more safe then a puffer would be..but I don' t have any plans for shrimp or crabs..probably just a snail CUC. Which it will hopefully leave alone!

I think they are more safe then a puffer would be..but I don' t have any plans for shrimp or crabs..probably just a snail CUC. Which it will hopefully leave alone!

Should work out. I may pick up a couple of cherub angels soon... My plan of not purchasing dwarf angels didn't last too long ;)

The LED retrofit kit from JBJ. I have a 28g Nanocube :)

Is this the one from rapid led? I do love leds. Even a simple white and royal blue mix works pretty well.

Archived