Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Tidepool Pico

lovepicos

Hi,

I have been thinking about setting up a jbj picotope. At first I thought I might just do a reef, but now I am thinking about doing a tidepool tank. A temperate tidepool tank would be cool, but I do not have the money for a chiller, etc. Then I started thinking about how when I have visited Hawaii, they have had some really cool tidepools formed by the volcanic rock. They contain eels, crabs, juvenile wrasses, etc. So I might set up a Hawaiian tidepool tank. So my question is, are there any special needs for a tidepool tank vs. a regular reef tank?

You have to keep in mind that tidepools don't stay forever. When the tides come back in, they release the animals that were trapped in them to the larger ocean body again. There is no way you could keep any eel or some of the other trapped animals you'd see in tidepools in a pico tank because they would be in there forever, rather than being released back again.

Small crabs, little stars, and maybe even an urchin sure, but the big animals won't work for you. =(

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Just get one of my temperate 2 gallon out of the box ready systems! You will have so much fun and it will not have all these problems you are going to get, trying to make a tide pool work....

Archived