Top Shelf Aquatics

"The Two Towers" 62G SPS Starfire Reef (Rebooted)

JDigital

You have chosen.....wisely. Every week I clean the cup of my reef octopus 150 and I get thick nasty black stuff. It's pretty awesomely disgusting. RO skimmers are proven to do this everytime with very little adjustment. I've never owned another skimmer this size so I can't compare but it seems a little noisy (air flow).

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

omgomgomg Gotta show me some skimmate pictures later on.

What are you planning on running in the reactor? Bio-pellets?

Skimmate pics might be a bit, but will definitely get something up when I can. As for the reactor, the plan is GFO and probably a 2nd reactor for Carbon.

i was gonna add my 2 cents and tell you to get the RLSS with the DC pumps and forget the ati powercone and reef octo

but since you already made your purchase already and is happy with your choice ill leave it at that =P

Thanks! :) Everyone seems to go on and on about DC pumps this, DC pumps that. I've never had a reef tank yet where I thought to myself, I wish I was running DC pumps in the skimmer or return, etc.. I really like the Octo though, for the system that it's running on, I'm sure it will do a great job at what I need it to do.

You have chosen.....wisely. Every week I clean the cup of my reef octopus 150 and I get thick nasty black stuff. It's pretty awesomely disgusting. RO skimmers are proven to do this everytime with very little adjustment. I've never owned another skimmer this size so I can't compare but it seems a little noisy (air flow).

Thanks pschom - Reef Octopus must have made some changes to the air intake on this skimmer. This skimmer is dead silent. I unplugged it last night and to be honest, the only reason I knew I unplugged the right thing was because the bubbles stopped. :D

Although that made me question whether or not my Reef Octopus Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump is running right as I can hear that when I am up stairs in the kitchen (tank is around the corner and at the bottom of the stairs).

I don't hear the pump. Just the air intake. With the door closed its minimal, but still present. I was gonna go with a Hydor slim skim for the noise factor but yeah, no.

Tanks coming along nice. Can't wait for life.

Thanks.

Currently planned stocking list:

- 2x Premium Picasso Clowns

- 1x Red Stripe Angelfish (Centropyge eibli)

- 1x Red Velvet Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus rubrisquamis)

- 1x Radiant Wrasse (Halichoeres iridis)

- 1x Tailspot Blenny (Ecsenius stigmatura)

Huh... I thought a teaser pic of a GHL Mitras LED light would have tempted some people to omgomgomg or :bling: or B).

;)

I welded up the light rack for it last night at work. Just got to paint it tonight.

• Like 1

I'm a little slow but I am now teased with this photo.

This is an awesome fixture. Looking forward to seeing this light in action !

Christine :)

:lockdown:omgomgomg

We need pictures of that light!

I suppose I can show ya...;)

nice baller fixture haha :lol:

Thanks!

Well I haven't really played around with them enough to say for sure, but so far I love them.

Got the program figured out tonight and got the light hung above the tank. My phone doesn't like LEDs, so apologies for the pics.

photo3-7.jpg

photo4-6.jpg

photo1-10.jpg

photo2-9.jpg

photo5-6.jpg

:naughtydance: nice

Thanks!

Looks great , nice coverage :)

Yup, the coverage is great. Definitely better than the Radion I tested. I would have needed 2 Radions to get coverage on this tank. I've only got the lights ramping up to 25% as well right now, so with more light the coverage should only get better this the GHL (ie: more light spread/spill across the tank).

Can't wait to see how the corals do under that light !

I picked up a cheap $10 frag of Montipora Confusa on the weekend. It's already getting awesome PE and the color looks good even with the lights on a lower setting. I'm going to have to adjust my spectrum choices though for midday, I'm find them to be too blue currently.

Nice! I like how the scape came out. What are your thoughts? Do you plan on changing anything?

I like it how it is right now. I wouldn't say it's the look I was going for, I personally think I bought too much rock for what I was trying to do. This scape right now gives me LOTS of real estate though for frag placement, both side to side and front to back. Add to that I've got a couple good caves and overhangs. I think I'll be happy with it once it matures more.

• 1 month later...

Figured I would post a bit of an update with this tank.

Things are going pretty smooth. I have been dosing Prodibio Bio-Clean (Bio-Digest & Bioptim) after going through the initial Prodibio Start up regiment... Tank is doing really well.

I'm currently housing a 1.5" Algae Blenny. He's been in the longest and to be honest, I have no idea what he is surviving on. There is little to no algae (hair or otherwise) on the rocks and he hates me as he always shoots for cover when I'm near the tank. Never comes out at feeding time, but he is still there and doing well when I do see him. The other fish currently in the tank is a "Redfin Flasher Wrasse" (advertised as such, but I'm still trying to I.D. him correctly). He is maybe 2" MAX. Great little fish, very inquisitive, although still a bit skittish, unless there is food in the tank, then he completely forgets I'm standing near the tank.

As for corals, I've got a frag of Blue/Purple Polyp Birdsnest, Montipora Confusa, and Acropora Sp. (unknown right now). All are doing well, but the Confusa and Birdnests are really puking polyps.

I've also got about 4 Zoa frags of various colors, 1 mini colony of Green/Purple Favia, and an Acan echinata frag that I just picked up Friday.

I'll try and get my hands on my roommates camera this week and get some photos up, as I'm sure my words leave much to be desired. haha

So I had a bit of a scare when I got home yesterday.

Walked in the door and silence... No return pump humming, no skimmer skimming, no lights, NOTHING.

I have NO idea what happened... but the tank had no power... the LED display on my RKL was lit up and displaying the time and such. I flicked the on/off switches on my power bars, nothing... Pulled the plugs out of the wall, plugged them back in, and everything fired up immediately.

Based on everything else electrically powered in the house, we didn't have a power outage nor was the circuit breaker for the tanks power outlet popped.

I am completely baffled as to why it happened... and when. Although the temp only dropped by about 1 degree, so I can't think it was in this state for very long, but scary none-the-less. Mostly because I'm worried it could happen again and earlier in the day which would mean a greater loss of tank temp.

Anyone have any ideas?

Must of had something to do with RKL. I would reset it and reprogram it again.

I had this happen once a long time ago with mine, it was over loaded amp wise.

I plugged 2 100 watt heaters into the DA power bar and POOF, thought I blew it up but after a reset all worked again. Don't know if that is the case with yours but it could be just exceeding the maximum power draw through the DA power bar. I don't think the DA RKL can handle the BIG builds ! Time for a APEX :)

Could have been a power surge?

Christine

I plugged 2 100 watt heaters into the DA power bar and POOF, thought I blew it up but after a reset all worked again. Don't know if that is the case with yours but it could be just exceeding the maximum power draw through the DA power bar. I don't think the DA RKL can handle the BIG builds ! Time for a APEX :)

Christine

I've thought about an Apex... mostly for the Iphone management. I just can't afford it right now.

The other thing is, this has all been running fine for 2months... strange for it to pop up now IMO. Hopefully it's all running when I get home today. :)

Hope so too, could have just been a one off thing, like a power surge or something. Mine worked without issues after I over powered it. I just don't run much through it now, have it in my pico :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived