Innovative Marine Aquariums

"The Two Towers" 62G SPS Starfire Reef (Rebooted)

JDigital

Any updates?

Did you solve the RKL issue?

Pics?

:)

Christine

Updates regarding livestock are as follows....

Fish:

1x Juvenile Leopard Wrasse (Female)

1x Yellow Coris Wrasse

1x Redfin Flasher Wrasse (I think, I'm not confident on the I.D. the store listed)

1x Lubbock Wrasse

1x Candy Hogfish

1x Algae Blenny

Yes, this is turning out to be a Wrasse tank..

Coral:

1x Blue Polyp Birdnest

1x Monti. Confusa (Frag)

1x Green Acro. (Frag...unknown right now)

4x Various zoa frags

1x Green/Purple Favia

1x Acan Echinata

1x Pineapple Express Acan frag (2 heads)

1x Purple MaxiMini

As for the RKL, I haven't figured out why it quit on me that day. It has been back up without and issues since. Trying to keep a close eye on it when I'm around the house though.

Pics... ummm ya, working on those... still.. Hoping the roommate lets me use his camera this weekend.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WHat kind of silicone did you use?

SCS1203.gif

36221153.jpg

No camera... :( My iphone sucks for pics IMO... will get something up soon.. I promise.

He didn't build his tank, it was built for him. I reccomend ASI, I've used it and I got virtually no bubbles in my seams here's a link to my seams and to the silicone http://www.bestmaterials.com/detail.aspx?ID=19108 http://s1323.beta.photobucket.com/user/Reefmaster1996/media/80%20gallon%20system%20build/image-5_zpsdd499129.jpg.html

Nope.. I did not build it. The shop that built it uses GE1200 on all there tanks... Very good stuff, and virtually no bubbles on my tank either. :) Always a good thing..

Nice build.

Thanks a lot!

I took some pics this weekend.. but having difficulties getting them off the memory stick.. :(

disaster999

Thanks a lot!

I took some pics this weekend.. but having difficulties getting them off the memory stick.. :(

well theres your problem....who uses memory stick anyways? sony dont even use it anymore :lol:

well theres your problem....who uses memory stick anyways? sony dont even use it anymore :lol:

I figured most camera's still use them these days. To be fair, it is my roommates camera/memory card and it just wasn't recognizing it when I connected it... but found MY card just fine. Unfortunately his camera can't accept my memory stick. Still trying to get this sorted (ie: bother the roommate to download/send to me)

The tank kinda looks like poo anyways. Brown sand, brown rock. Definite diatom bloom!

disaster999

dont worry, im just teasing you about "memory sticks". they were memory cards made by sony which was a huge flop. even sony themselves dont use it anymore

• 4 weeks later...

Someone asked for pics right?

The color doesn't match the real life color on this frag, but still like how it turned out. It should be a minty green with orange centers. Pineapple Express Acans I was told.

PineappleExpress1_zpsb7eb52e2.jpg

Awesome Acans: :D

Acans1_zps052bc79d.jpg

Hydnophora Colony:

Hydnophora1_zps7583e8b2.jpg

Forest Fire Digitata:

ForestFireDigi1_zps74f590ae.jpg

Hydno looks pretty good. Where'd you get that digi from? Can we get an FTS?

I got the Digi from the same LFS as the Hydno. Concept Aquatics here in Calgary (Canada). Pretty much the ONLY LFS I shop at haha. The digi looks like it is going to take a bit of time to acclimate to the LEDs, so the color and PE might take a bit. The Hydno looks really good though. I'll try and get an FTS... but the LEDs mess with my iphone camera so it typically looks bad.. haha

• 4 weeks later...

Beautiful fish. Will be interested to know how he does with the acans.

Shhhh... ;) Thankfully I only have 2 (1 frag and 1 colony). I had a buddy who had a Potters a few years ago, never touched anything.

Fingers crossed. Either way it's one of my favorite angels so there's no getting rid of him.

Lookin' good JD, I was in Cowtown a couple of weeks ago, wanted to stop in at Concept but ended up at Big Al's (LOL), everything brown :( , just wanted to check the place out. Keep the Hydnophora 12 inches away from the other corals just in case. I fragged my colony and will take 6 good size frags to market (LFS) soon, just want it out of my tank, never caused an issue for me but I've been lucky.

More updates, More often please ;)

Christine

Lookin' good JD, I was in Cowtown a couple of weeks ago, wanted to stop in at Concept but ended up at Big Al's (LOL), everything brown :( , just wanted to check the place out. Keep the Hydnophora 12 inches away from the other corals just in case. I fragged my colony and will take 6 good size frags to market (LFS) soon, just want it out of my tank, never caused an issue for me but I've been lucky.

More updates, More often please ;)

Christine

How do you end up at Big Al's instead of Concept when Concept is 30secs away? LOL

The Hydnophora is on a ledge all by it's lonesome. I don't have 12" to give it.. but it's got a good bit of space. Got LOTS of growth tip though.

How do you end up at Big Al's instead of Concept when Concept is 30secs away? LOL

The Hydnophora is on a ledge all by it's lonesome. I don't have 12" to give it.. but it's got a good bit of space. Got LOTS of growth tip though.

Long sad story.

Sounds good, hydnophora can be a fast grower if it has the nutrients in the tank, doesn't like ULNS much. Cool coral though.

• 1 month later...

Long sad story.

Sounds good, hydnophora can be a fast grower if it has the nutrients in the tank, doesn't like ULNS much. Cool coral though.

Unfortunately it has gone COMPLETELY white on me, along with every other piece of SPS in my system. I am struggling MASSIVELY with this tank.

My zoas look like poop (likely because I had a butterfly nipping at them, although he has now perished), I had to save my acans (for the same reason) and like mentioned ALL my SPS has RTN/STN'd on me.

I lost both the Potters Angel (vanished, no body to be found) and the Butterfly just this week (Ich or Velvet still trying to determine).

This tank looks like the apocalypse of reefing right now. The only thing that is doing well are the fish I added very early in the tank life. Candy Hog, Yellow Coris, Red Lyretail Wrasse, 2 Clowns, Yellow Watcmen Goby, and Lawnmower Blenny.

On top of all of that I made a BONEHEAD decision and added a small Decorated Spinefish (knowing full well he will need re-homed). He is showing signs of white spots but doesn't see to fazed. I am contributing that to the Butterfly as they swam along side each other during the butterflies short life in my tank.

I am pretty bummed out with the hobby these days. I am not exactly new to reefing, I've had plenty of tanks and never experienced such frustration as I have with this one.

One thing that has been on my mind a lot is that both this tank and my 180G tank were started with Dry Macro rock with either Zeovit Bacteria (180G) or Prodibio (62G) with NO live rock at all. I need to do some reading but it just seems to likely that I have experienced similar problems with both tanks compared to all my past tanks.

Ugh! Reefing, you frustrate me!!

That's crazy. What do u think happened? Just too much stuff going on all at once?

Well my problems aren't completely un-known to me. I am having a heck of a time trying to get my skimmer to skim.. I get about 3/8" of skimmate in my cup and then all foam stops in the neck and just pour micro-bubbles out of the outlet. I need to raise the skimmer (LFS/Friend Recommendation) to get it working properly, but I haven't had a chance to do so.

I could be a bit more pro-active with water changes, but I am doing approx. 20G/per month on a 62G system.

Besides those 2 things I am completely baffled why I am struggling with nearly all my coral additions. And while 7 months old isn't exactly "Old" I would have expected to see a lot of these issues settling out by now, especially since using Prodibio (based on what I researched prior to using it).

This is an editted "copy/paste" from another forum with regards to a buddies tank and mine... His looks pretty awesome, especially SPS and Acans. And approx. 2-3 months younger.

"Buddies Tank" As for my system it is quite basic.

Check - I'm very similar in schedule, with a varying K rating- Mitras (~13k, 71% power) light ramps up / down for 2 hours. Full intensity for 6 hrs.

Check - Same Salt although very different WC schedule....- DD H2Ocean with weekly 10 - 15 gallon changes

Check - Same- reactor with gfo

Negative- 2 filter socks with a bit of carbon in them. cleaned out weekly

Negative- filter foam on top of socks which i rinse off a few times per week

No comment - My skimmer isn't performing well at all- skimmer cup emptied once a week

I use PE Mysis, Pacifica..- food added is NLS pellets, Pacifica Plankton and Acan Plus

Back wall of the tank was of course all dead rock. It leached a lot of nutrients but I think it's pretty settled now. Rest of the rock was live. I'm starting to think the Live Rock is a major factor vs a 100% Dry Macro

I turkey baste the tank thoroughly at least once per week. The coral looks very happy when I do this!

All the wording that is highlighted in BOLD is what I have going on in my tank compared to his (Non-Bold). He is running a 90G Cube compared to my 62G.

See that's what I'm saying. (In my head) There are other tanks that have been setup for a week and no issues. Your equipment is fine. If ur doing water changes but less than u should, I'd think that would result in more algae or something. Unless it just never stabilized and it keeps cycling?

U testing?

Archived