ReefCleaners.org

NPS & 55 degrees?

fullmonti

Are you trying to do a coldwater tank? I have not sen LA carry any coldwater livestock besides the catalina gobies. All the coldwater tanks that were once / still are on NR were mostly self collected from what I remember.

Yes I am putting a temperate tank together.

I had a NPS tank with some filter feeders like Gorgonians & LPS like Dendros. I still have some nice big Dendros. I had always heard they really liked cooler temp than we generally keep them in. I was wondering or hoping if some one knew if 55 was too cool for them?

altolamprologus

"Cooler than normal reef temps" means like 74 degrees. Dendros will die at 55 degrees. The only things that can be kept in water that cold are animals that come from temperate regions. Cold water marine aquatics (sponsor on this forum) carries temperate livestock if you were interested in setting up a biotope. Just keep in mind that except for Catalina gobies, virtually everything carried by your lfs is tropical with a few subtropical species. Do not put any of these in a temperate tank.

I have no idea where to even begin looking for a coral that grows off the coast of Oregon if coldwatermarineaquatics doesn't stock it. But who knows, there may be something out there that they don't have. =)

That being said, it's a good place to start. Based on spending a few hours the other day reading through your previous builds on RC (I think it was RC, anyway-that spherical reef bowl was amazing from a technical standpoint!), you probably already know about them, though. =)

I am unsure what the exact regulations are, but you could potentially find some really cool specimens in local tidepools if you live either in California or Oregon. You just need to ensure you are not in a especially protected area. Again, check with the CA DFG if you are in CA to make sure it is legal. I have seen some amazing creatures in the tide pools around the Monterey Bay including baby sharks, rays, rockfish, shrimp, crabs, sea cucumbers, perch etc. I had been thinking of making a cold water tank, but have not started to do homework on the legality of collection.

I thought 55 would be too cool for dendros & the like, 65 maybe OK but you never know if you don't ask.

I was planing on getting my livestock from Coldwater Marine when the new tank is ready.

Thanks uglybuckling, I am going to post some of the photos of the bubble tank here. I need to do an update photo or iphone video, looks much better now. I converted my 180 reef to a planted Discus tank. When I start a thread here on the bubble tank I'll include a link to it, it is very pretty even if it is freshwater.

Jim

AquaticEngineer

There are cup coral species and a lot of deep water gorgonians. The hard part is getting them :) We have access to several species from Europe but most of the deepwater "corals" off of US coasts are protected in some form usually by NOAA.

Checkout www.sealifebase.org and search for species that occur in temperate waters. :)

When the tank is ready I'll have to see what you can get. I have decided to get a small chiller & make the tank bigger, about 8gal.

Thanks & really excited about this!

Jim

Archived