Pod Your Reef

Matt's loaded Aquapod 24g

Mstefa1

It's been such a busy day. I fragged a number of corals in my Aquapod and moved them to my frag tank. You can read about the fragging here. Additionally, if you want to know about my frag tank all the info is in my PicO thread. I put my GFO reactor back on with fresh GFO and also carbon. I decided to run carbon because of some of the chemical warfare as well as fragging all the palys. I also discovered a long time ago some kind of feather duster worm in my Aquafuge. I moved it to my PicO and it's settling in now. Still, I think it may have been happier with the low flow in my fuge.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SG 1.026
  • PH 7.96 - Apex probe
  • dKH 11.4 - Salifert (low resolution)
  • Ca 340 - Salifert (low resolution)
  • Mg 1500 - Salifert
  • PO4 0.15 - Hanna Checker (phosphorous converted to phosphate)
  • PO4 0.09 RETESTED - Hanna Checker (phosphorous converted to phosphate)
  • NO3 0 - API

Note - ran out of liquid CA to dose, clearly I need to pick some up. I was appalled by seeing a phosphate reading of 0.15 so I had to restest (with new reagents). 0.09 still seams high but that clearly explains the GHA I'm seeing. I have been feeing this tank heavily due to the fragging. I only have a small amount of GFO in my reactor but it looks like I need to change it. I'm a little concerned regarding the inconsistent results as my first test was 48 phosphorous and my second was 30 phosphorous which is 8ppb outside the 5ppb accuracy assuming you took each test at the far end of the margin of error. Still, both test results are unacceptable so I've got some more work to do.

Edit: I've reloaded my reactor with a generous amount of GFO. I've also removed half my chaeto because my refugium was stuffed and it needed room to grow.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I swear I followed this thread but no.

Need pictures!

WIll do! I just got home from vacation, but I will surely update again soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Not too much new here. The weather is getting nicer so I won't be spending as much time with my tanks. My sun coral is still one of my favorites. I try and feed 2-3 times a week, but I know it would be happier if I fed more often. I put a lawnmower blenny in this tank about 10 days ago or so because I have a small amount of hair algae that has been creeping up for a few months. Nothing out of control and I doubt it will become out of control but you can never be too cautious. The lawnmower blenny brings the head count up to 5 fish (obviously my max) and everything still remains peaceful. The YWM goby gets intimidated by the lawnmower, but otherwise no issues there. If I don't keep the clown fed sometimes he may nip at a firefish but remember I've had these fish for ages.

Remember the bryopsis? I haven't dosed mag in a long time but the bryopsis doesn't appear to be a problem anymore. I used to have to dose and prune weekly but I haven't done that in so long. I still think there may be a little bryopsis there, but it doesn't seam to grow like I did before. If it happens to grow though, I'll just put some tech M in there again.

Also, remember that I fragged a lot of these corals for my frag tank and a few for my PicO. I need to undergo another fragging because some do get fried by neighboring corals.

It's very hard to photograph this tank due to the curved glass, however I'll try and get a new FTS for you.

The other issue I have with taking photos is that I can't turn down the brightness of the MH so they appear very white with my camera. I have a DSLR, just need to figure out how to tone it down.

DSC04281_zps773baf3a.jpg

You can see some of the algae brewing here.

Looks really good to me.

Which DSLR? I have the Nikon ... but you can go auto and see what speed it wants to take it at, then go manual and either increase the fstop or the speed to dim it down. On the Nikon I can hold down the +/- button and twirl a wheel to force auto mode to go higher or lower than it wants.

Looks really good to me.

Which DSLR? I have the Nikon ... but you can go auto and see what speed it wants to take it at, then go manual and either increase the fstop or the speed to dim it down. On the Nikon I can hold down the +/- button and twirl a wheel to force auto mode to go higher or lower than it wants.

Thank you. It's an old Sony A700 with a Sigma 18-200mm lens. I'll try that, thanks.

Polarcollision

The other issue I have with taking photos is that I can't turn down the brightness of the MH so they appear very white with my camera. I have a DSLR, just need to figure out how to tone it down.

DSC04281_zps773baf3a.jpg

You can see some of the algae brewing here.

Very nice mix of corals. Especially like the shapes of that large bird nest. To darken the exposure on a DSLR, shift the exposure compensation to allow less light overall or spot meter a brighter area with the focus lock 'half-click' and then recompose before pressing the shutter button all the way. Edit: the exposure lock might need to be set in camera preferences for some models.

• 2 months later...

This tanks been on a parameter roller coaster for quite some time. I didn't expect this because I've always managed it with water changes and minimum dosing. Even with additional supplements, I haven't been able to dial it in, yet I haven't put that much effort into it either. I'm stocked with fresh BRS 2-part so I hope to get this under control. Basically some corals grow exponentially and others recede. Now that summer is coming to an end, I'll have more time to play with both tanks. I also picked up a large bottle of Tech M. The bryopsis has been back. I've since soaked the rock in a strong peroxide solution twice. The bryopsis dies but comes right back. Also note that peroxide doesn't harm the many zoa colonies on that rock. Currently the bryopsis is very light, but it has moved up the adjacent rock. I've been dosing 1/3 cup of Tech M daily and it looks all but gone. As I've said before, I think its about managing bryopsis once you get it as opposed to completely getting rid of it.

I'd also like to report some good news with my Tunze 9002. It's always been a fine skimmer, but I always had better luck skimming extremely dry or extremely wet - nothing in between. The past month or two I don't know what has changed however it is skimming exactly as I could dream it would. I considered trying the new PLS-50, but not if my Tunze is skimming like a champ now! Note that my skimmer is inside my CPR Aquafuge 2.

I upped my MG by about 100 / day with Kent Tech M and it literally zapped my bryopsis in a few days... I mean it's totally gone! I've done this probably 3 times before with the small bottle and only ever had controlling results. Since using the larger bottle and dosing the same amount daily the results were unbelievable! I can't imagine why the larger bottle would be any different than the smaller bottle considering the instructions on the bottle are exactly the same so I assumed it would be the same potency. I haven't tested yet (I know bad right?) but I believe I raised my mg about 400. Besides, I've never lost livestock from elevated mg anyway.

One of my SPS corals has bleached in days and a couple others are showing the beginning signs of getting lighter... Exactly what I've expected from previous experience. I've done a water change with no addition mg to bring it down a tad. I honestly think I may be bryopsis free but we will just have to wait and see.

I've ran some tests and my phosphate is down to .05 which is great news... Especially considering I haven't changed my GFO all summer. Even my nitrate test is yellow which should be near zero and I'm sure my skimmer working great is contributing to this.

• 2 weeks later...

Performed my second water change after raising the Mg and this brings be down under 1600.. Bryopsis appears to be gone, not just hiding like before. I know I was on a parameter roller coaster but even then my SPS was doing good and now the only SPS thriving after the most recent Tech M dose is my acro. Again, the only difference in the Tech M this time over last time is I used the larger bottle of Tech M, not the small bottle you normally see on the shelf.

So we could be looking at the final defeat of bryopsis but the cost may have been my SPS.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Mark, thanks for following. Nothing new as far as pictures but the tank is doing well. Bryopsis has officially been defeated. The previously mentioned SPS has not regained it's colors however they still have good polyp extension. Fortunately I have frags in my other tank. The BRS supplies have simplified dosing. I still think that the bow front is neat, yet it's just a pain to clean - especially those rounded corners. And I've found the secrets to keeping the Tunze 9002 running strong if anybody is still struggling.

Did the pumps slow down over time? I've been having to clean my WP25's about every 3 weeks or the speed will significantly decrease.

I don't have a wp25

I don't have a wp25

Ha, not sure what I was thinking. I wanted to know details about the Tunze, but I was thinking it was a circulation pump not a skimmer. :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

Sad night... One of my pair of firefish jumped this evening. I've had them for well over a year. I know they say firefish are jumpers but this is the first time I've ever had a firefish jump out of my topless Aquapod.

• 2 weeks later...

Not a full cup of tea but I'm doing some maintenance and I'd thought I'd snap a pic. The skimmer is a Tunze 9002 which is inside an Aquafuge 2 medium hanging on the back of my Aquapod.

20131107_011352_zps56b24196.jpg

• 1 month later...

Update: Tank is still going, but overgrown. I purchased a 45g reef ready cube and stand, with all the plumbing, actually the complete setup. It's not going to be a complete transfer, but I will move some corals over.

75 pounds real reef rock
300 w via aqua heater
Rio 2100 return pump 692 gph
5 gal ato tank
Bubble mangus 3.5 nac
Fuge light
Light hanging kit
Jbj Ato
Eshopps adv 100 sump

Dimmable chinese LED

The intent is to shutdown my Aquapod, and put my Apex, reactory, and Tunze ATO on the tank. The JBJ ATO will probably get moved to my frag tank. The tank will be available FS, as well as my chiller, CPR Aquafuge 2 (medium) HOB refrugium, and Sunpod 150w, and Tunze 9002 skimmer.

Archived