SaltCritters.com

Matt's loaded Aquapod 24g

Mstefa1

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice work on resurrecting the tank. Seems like experienced paid off.

Thank you! Experience pretty much sums it up. Hoping to skip my mistakes from last time.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Quick suggestion.Move your powerhead forward as you are keeping debris away from your intake grills and losing some of the proper flow pattern by having the one side against the back wall.I would pull it forward some and move about half way down.Also get a y connector for your return and aim it different directions and that will decrease your dead flow areas. B)

• Like 1

Quick suggestion.Move your powerhead forward as you are keeping debris away from your intake grills and losing some of the proper flow pattern by having the one side against the back wall.I would pull it forward some and move about half way down.Also get a y connector for your return and aim it different directions and that will decrease your dead flow areas. B)

Hey buddy, thanks for the suggestions! The Koralia is about halfway to the front of the tank, not right up against the grill at the present. The current photo may be deceiving although when I first put it in it was a little closer to the back. I'm not content with lowering it because then it flows directly on my corals and it doesn't make them very happy. I've been considering putting another koralia on the other side and alternating with my Apex but frankly I don't like the look of bulky power heads in my tank. Hopefully that will be resolved when I get an MP10. :)

I also have a line lock with a "Y" directing flow where I need it from my powerful return pump. The only deader area then I know of would be inside the cave.

Thanks for your input!

Yeah that pic is decieving.I didnt notice the y at first but now that you mention it i see it.

So have you figured what may be the cause of the algae?Im sure you are but are you using 0 tds rodi water?Are you feeding with flake foods or frozen?Alot of foods are high in phosphates and be fueling it.I know you said your test said 0 but sometimes the algae can store the phosphates and you not be able to detect them.

This is all just my 2 cents on it.

• Like 1

Greatly appreciate the help. The source was obviously my frag dealer but it continues to grow even with hyper-mag. My RODI water is 0 TDS but I'm not using a state of the art RODI system as I believe that 0 TDS is 0 TDS. I run a reactor with GFO and ROX. The last time I changed out my media (recently) I put a generous amount of media in the reactor to see if it would affect the byropsis growth and it has not. I do not have any other algae growing aside from the chaeto in my fuge.

I feed my fish flake and pellet and my coral frozen Mysis. I've gone a week with no frozen and limited fish feedings and I haven't seem to affect it. I have to feed frozen to keep my sun coral. I've recently jacked up my Alk to run a higher PH as my PH as always been low but still no affect.

Also I agree with you on the phosphate test. My Salifert phosphate test kit is all but useless. It reads 0.00 on tank water (the test is completely clear) and 0.03 on my tap water. One of these days I'll get a Hanna checker. Perhaps I'll attend a club meeting in January and have someone test my water.

I agree on the ro system not needing to be top notch.0 is 0.

If it is indeed bryopsis i have read raised levels of magnesium will help it.

Yuppers, that's what I'm doing... Hyper-mag with Tech M. Thanks!

New pics. Oh how I wish I had a macro lens. Most of the colors are as shown with not much editing but the reality is the colors are more vibrant. I do have a DSLR shooting in RAW however I'm not really good with it even though I try hard.

DSC03563_zps6d848b49.jpg

DSC03558_zps6ca150c3.jpg

DSC03549_zps2ecdb23e.jpg

DSC03544_zpsf8cb3d25.jpg

DSC03536_zps6a508e98.jpg

DSC03535_zpsbb4b6e27.jpg

DSC03533_zps6659e8d3.jpg

DSC03532_zpse840682c.jpg

DSC03523_zps6753dcea.jpg

DSC03554_zps1143d567.jpg

I like your tank, and your set-up. It makes me miss my old aquapod, mine was very similar to yours!

Wow, yours was beautiful! Was that MP10 a good investment in your pod? Probably the last piece of the puzzle I'm missing. :) I didn't read your thread... Why did you take it down? Upgrade?

I think it was one of the best investments. I love that MP10, I still use it today, a few years later. I would definitely go for it.

Unfortunately I was away on vacation and I had some air conditioning problems...I lost all of my SPS. I saved what I could and put it in my Elos :D

I think it was one of the best investments. I love that MP10, I still use it today, a few years later. I would definitely go for it.

Unfortunately I was away on vacation and I had some air conditioning problems...I lost all of my SPS. I saved what I could and put it in my Elos :D

Jacob, sorry about your loss that really sucks. Hopefully with my Apex I never have to go through that. I noticed you had your MP10 mounted on the left side - which is on the same side as your return. Did you find this to be the best placement? I have my Koralia on the right side thinking that it's on/off cycle would generate alternating flow. I figured you would know with all that SPS in there.

I hope nobody has to, but it happens and does allow you to begin anew :)

I placed it there out of convenience really. On ReefCrest mode there is plenty of randomness. The coral will adjust to the flow regardless; my birdsnest for example grew almost sideways on the leading edge because it was directly in the current. It also had the thickest base for a coral I had ever seen, it was easily over an inch and half in diameter. At this point that placement is just fine! I eventually moved to having two koralias, then realized I could have superior flow with less space consumption. I would definitely make the vortech next on your list :D

Archived