Pod Your Reef

white fuzz growing all over tank

fwadiver

so i've now got this white fuzz growing all over my tank and its starting to look really bad, any ideas of what it is and how i can control it?

IMG_2953.jpg

IMG_2954.jpg

IMG_2955.jpg

IMG_2956.jpg

IMG_2957.jpg

Tagging along. I have the same stuff, don't know what it is! I'll see if I can get a good pic of mine. They look like tiny polyp-less gorgs, for lack of better description. Mine are about 1/4th of an inch long and most fork off at the ends. They are all white and sway in the current, so I believe its an algae of some sort.

I had the same stuff. It almost looks like detritus but it actually GROWS off of the live rock. I was skeptical when somebody told me it was algae, but I beefed up my cuc with a turbo and it was gone shortly after.

cimg0599mx.jpg

Here's my stab at a picture of mine. I currently don't have a CUC yet, but I'll be sure to nab a turbo snail or two, thanks patback.

Aquanist, if its bacterial does that mean the snails wont touch it? Is there anything to do about it? Mine isn't out of hand yet like the poor OPs, but I don't want it to get that way!

well time to put in a reef cleaners order then i suppose. its the same stuff as described above, each stalk has a 3 to 4 fingered fan at the end of it.. so whatever it is its probably some type of filter feeder, its just ugly as getout.

I have the same stuff growing all over my tank, and CUC isn't doing a very good job of keeping up with it. I have decided to take a brush to the rocks during water changes. I don't like the idea of disturbing things, but my tank is getting over run by it worse than the xenia take over!

Bought two turbo snails to help nip a GHA outbreak in the bud. Got a few nassarious snails and halloween hermits too, but I doubt they'll touch it. I'll keep you all updated on mine.

I used to wire brush that crap off in a five gallon bucket of old tank water half full and rinse off with a power head. They are filter feeders and means your tank is doing well.

I used to wire brush that crap off in a five gallon bucket of old tank water half full and rinse off with a power head. They are filter feeders and means your tank is doing well.

Thanks. Any idea of what their actual name is?

Archived