Pod Your Reef

How much do YOU dose?

ReefNoobie21

ReefNoobie21

Im curious what everyone does in their tanks, what size tank and what inhabitants? i just received my order of this and previously i been using purple up to supplement and i think id probably use the two part but im tryign to gauge what to dose.

I have 2 acro frags, monti frag, zoa frag and two candy cane frags.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dose 10Ml's of each a day and am up to dosing 9Ml's of vinegar a day, that is the only things that I dose in my tank as well as doing 10-15 gallon water changes every week or every other week

jedimasterben
Im curious what everyone does in their tanks, what size tank and what inhabitants? i just received my order of this and previously i been using purple up to supplement and i think id probably use the two part but im tryign to gauge what to dose.

I have 2 acro frags, monti frag, zoa frag and two candy cane frags.

Don't dose anything unless you are measuring it and seeing it drop.

I'm the other extreme, LOL.

Brightwell Aquatics (Ca, ALK, Mg, Sr, Fe, Iodine, Amino Acids, MB7, Reef Fuel, GAC)

Zeovit (Coral Booster, Flatworm Stop, K-Balance Strong, Coral Snow, Xtra, Sponge Power)

nor_cal_nano
Don't dose anything unless you are measuring it and seeing it drop.

This. And with less than five FRAGS... You shouldn't even worry about it.

Highly recommend weekly water changes. Unless your tank has a sufficient number of corals, this will be plenty and is extremely helpful anyways. Water changes really are the basic element to good husbandry.

All said - I do weekly water changes and dose a boat load. Recommend using BRS supplements.

hypersnyper694788

i does Reef Fuel twice a week 5ml, and a basic A&B Kh calcium, about 10ml of each daily. 20 gallon mixed reef w/ lots of corals. I do a 5 gallon water change every 2-3 weeks.

I also test twice a week for all the regular stuff plus Phos, Mag, Alk, Ca,

KALK

2 part

Coral Amino

Potassium

Iodide

Kent Essential elements

Fuel

Microbackter 7

Fluval 3 ions

I don't dose ALL at the same time. Some once a month, some once a week. But all of this goes in my tank.

I also run a GFO reactor.

ReefNoobie21

I also believe water changes are good for a reef aquarium but as a full time professional student, water changes arent my first priority and not necessary if keeping nitrates and phosphates down to zero as close as possible along with other unwanted nutrients. That being said, I'm just curious what I should start at bc I plan on adding corals until I can't anymore =)

Not sure what size tank you have, but lets just go on the big side and say 100 gallons. You can change 10% which is 10 gallons as quick as you can dose and check your parameters while/after dosing. I think most people are not happy with coloring or growth and think dosing will help their corals. With the few corals you have you do not need dosing, and minimal water changes will suffice with the coral you hacve. If you had clams and a lot of SPS i could see you possibly dosing

jedimasterben
Not much. Kalk, a few drops of Kent Iodine a week. 10% weekly water change takes care of the rest.

Question - if you do your water changes, why are you dosing iodine? Just curious, do you notice a big drop as the week goes by? I know you have a lot of softies, but I'd think you'd be hard-pressed to make it drop far enough to where more needs to be added weekly. I add maybe 3 drops or so to my 80g system in a month and it keeps iodine where it needs to be, and I think we have a similar amount of softies. :)

ReefNoobie21

Like i said, as a student its not the easiest thign to do to go to the lfs and get water every week. just inconveient to be honest. its much easier for me to test my water and do my dosing.

Nano sapiens
Question - if you do your water changes, why are you dosing iodine? Just curious, do you notice a big drop as the week goes by? I know you have a lot of softies, but I'd think you'd be hard-pressed to make it drop far enough to where more needs to be added weekly. I add maybe 3 drops or so to my 80g system in a month and it keeps iodine where it needs to be, and I think we have a similar amount of softies. :)

Old school reefing like its 1985 :)

Adding a few drops/week iodine is more of an ingrained habit than anything else, perhaps. What I have noticed, though, is that when I dose iodine regularly I seem to have less issues, especially when changing or modifying lighting. The corals just seem to take stress better.

As far as color and expansion, I perceive that the iodine brings out a little more of both. But until side-by-side testing is done in a controlled setting, it's all subjective.

jedimasterben
Old school reefing like its 1985 :)

Adding a few drops/week iodine is more of an ingrained habit than anything else, perhaps. What I have noticed, though, is that when I dose iodine regularly I seem to have less issues, especially when changing or modifying lighting. The corals just seem to take stress better.

As far as color and expansion, I perceive that the iodine brings out a little more of both. But until side-by-side testing is done in a controlled setting, it's all subjective.

Very good. Thanks for the detailed response. :)

You shouldn't be dosing anything you aren't testing. You can't dose nitrates away. Doesn't take more than 10 minutes to do a WC. For nano tanks at least.

Archived