Top Shelf Aquatics

Couple IDs por favor :)

sanchez

So I found these things in my 40br, the first one is all attached by one central holdfast, not like hair algae. It's a little less stiff than chaeto:

7854473580_fe7da17b3b_c.jpg

This one almost looks like bubble algae, but it's not filled with water it has holes in it and stuff. Maybe a sponge but it's hard like bubble algae. It started sprouting on the ceram-eco rock that I have, didn't come from another tank.

7854474812_a3f36b12d0_c.jpg

Thanks!!

• 1 month later...
So I found these things in my 40br, the first one is all attached by one central holdfast, not like hair algae. It's a little less stiff than chaeto:

This one almost looks like bubble algae, but it's not filled with water it has holes in it and stuff. Maybe a sponge but it's hard like bubble algae. It started sprouting on the ceram-eco rock that I have, didn't come from another tank.

7854474812_a3f36b12d0_c.jpg

Thanks!!

The first one looks like something that I bought before called "Toadstool algae", Cladophora prolifera. It is harmless and has more of grass like appearance which is kind of nice; was not invasive nor did anything eat it.

The second one on first glance looked a little like scroll algae but I'm not sure anymore. I guess just keep an eye on it.

Hope that helps!

• 3 weeks later...

Cladophora tends to be more compact, darker green and shorter. I would guess it is an Enteromorpha or a Derebesia species. You can confirm by checking it has a matting holdfast or not. ENteromorpha has, Derebesia does not and rises individually from inconspicuous holdfasts.

Your brown algae is a Colpomenia species. C. sinuosa is very common in FL. That might be your guy. Tends not to spread much in captivity. You may want to keep an eye on it anyway.

edit - oh sorry, read your post now. Since it has a central holdfast I would say it is very likely to be an enteromorpha species.

Cladophora tends to be more compact, darker green and shorter. I would guess it is an Enteromorpha or a Derebesia species. You can confirm by checking it has a matting holdfast or not. ENteromorpha has, Derebesia does not and rises individually from inconspicuous holdfasts.

Your brown algae is a Colpomenia species. C. sinuosa is very common in FL. That might be your guy. Tends not to spread much in captivity. You may want to keep an eye on it anyway.

edit - oh sorry, read your post now. Since it has a central holdfast I would say it is very likely to be an enteromorpha species.

Awesome, thanks. it seems to be popping up in places, but not super invasively, but I've been removing it. As for the brownish one, it's almost like a bubble algae, but looks more like a brain. it only pops up in singular locations and doesn't really "spread" just grows from where it's rooted.

I think it is it still, kind of cool to hear it is growing I think, I had never had any success with it. Kind of ugly, but you don't see many globular browns, well anyway here is a picture to compare:

http://www2.bishopmuseum.org/algae/images/...nia_sinuosa.jpg

Not sure on the species of enteromorpha, other than it is not like the more popular ones. THe thinner ones are kind of hard to tell apart from each other, this looks close:

http://shellfish.ifas.ufl.edu/clambag/imag...pha%20sp_01.jpg

If so, anything that would eat ulva will eat it. Turbos, emeralds, urchins etc...

Was a positive ID found for this? I have the same macro growing in a smal tuft here and there on the back glass wall of my tank. I had a frag rack for a while on the same wall and the algae colonized it in some spots as well, and slowly on to one or two frags that were on the same rack.

IMG_20120410_143715.jpg

Archived