ReefCleaners.org

Help Me Replace my Broken Tank!

Monochrome5

Which Tank Should I Start?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one - explain in reply

• 2.2g Temperate Pico
    • 24x8x7 Shallow SPS Reef

Due to an unfortunate accident with workers installing a window, I no longer have my 18"L pico. Luckily it was empty when it got knocked off my bookshelf, but it was no less heartbreaking. But now comes time for a decision. I've decided to go with a custom made tank from Mike at Micro-Reefs (can't beat the customer support). Should I go with his 2.2g rimless cold water pico tank? Or should I go with a custom extra-long shallow pico? The pico would be 24"L x 8"W x 7"H, have some seriously high flow, and filled with nothing but SPS.

Temperate Pico Pros

Unique, especially in South Carolina

Different than anything I've done before

Nems. Lots and lots of nems.

Fits nicely on my kitchen bar

Temperate Pico Cons

More than I wanted to spend on a 2.2g tank

Shipping livestock from Oregon to South Carolina is pricey

37 straight days of 90+ degrees could be a nightmare for cold water

Long Shallow Pros

Custom dimensions make it one-of-a-kind

Much easier to get livestock

Already have just about everything (two pumps, AC20 fuge, controller etc)

Long Shallow Cons

SPS can be pricey, and local selection is pathetic

Tank may be hard to get to maturity with such a low water volume

Long tank = more evap = salinity swings

As wonderful as a temperate pico sounds, I think it's too expensive for you at this point in time. Maybe something for later. Believe me, I'd love a catalina goby, but I can't keep one very well in South FL. Now a Hot as Hades Caribbean reef? Oh yeah, that I could do.

I think you're better off with the shallow sps. Maybe I'll even frag a piece of my mystery acro for you. The AC 20 is too small IMO, you got an AC 30? I think the distance will be fine, but you got some more space for chaeto.

I think I have both types already modded up if you want me to send them? I gotta look for them first.

L

As wonderful as a temperate pico sounds, I think it's too expensive for you at this point in time. Maybe something for later. Believe me, I'd love a catalina goby, but I can't keep one very well in South FL. Now a Hot as Hades Caribbean reef? Oh yeah, that I could do.

I think you're better off with the shallow sps. Maybe I'll even frag a piece of my mystery acro for you. The AC 20 is too small IMO, you got an AC 30? I think the distance will be fine, but you got some more space for chaeto.

I think I have both types already modded up if you want me to send them? I gotta look for them first.

L

Yeah I was thinking the same. I'll grab an AC70 I think. And so far it's 10-4 SPS tank :)

Well the AC70 won't fit... it's taller than the tank. So either I change dimensions or figure something else out...

Kyle, I voted for the bigger tank. BIGGER!!!!!!!!!

Hahaha thanks Kat. OK. Looks like the 24x10x8 is going to be able to handle an AC70, plus it's in stock now and I'm impatient :) Guess we're going 8g SPS tank! Woohoo!

• 1 year later...

Archived