SaltCritters.com

Acropora Turning White

Wizzy

I got my first acropora, a Bali Green Slimer, a couple of weeks ago.

Polyp extension has been good the whole time it's been in the tank.

Lately, it has started to fade to white in a couple areas, but polyp extension is seemingly unaffected.

I moved it to slightly lower light, but don't know what to do.

Thoughts?

jedimasterben

Tissue necrosis, yours is probably slow instead of rapid. Slow happens over time (usually a week or two at the most), rapid happens within 24 hours in most cases.

Give it a dip in either Lugol's solution of iodine or Coral RX, Revive, something similar, then move it lower in the tank. You may be giving it too much light. :/

Leave it there for a while, then slowly move it back up to the new spot. If you have LEDs, dim them down and then slowly bring them back up where they are.

Tissue necrosis, yours is probably slow instead of rapid. Slow happens over time (usually a week or two at the most), rapid happens within 24 hours in most cases.

Give it a dip in either Lugol's solution of iodine or Coral RX, Revive, something similar, then move it lower in the tank. You may be giving it too much light. :/

Leave it there for a while, then slowly move it back up to the new spot. If you have LEDs, dim them down and then slowly bring them back up where they are.

Thanks ben, I will give it a dip in Coral RX.

I will also try and find a lower light area, I think that the center of my tank is too bright for anything really.

I have a Full Spectrum Par38 from LEDtric so unfortunately I can't dim the bulb.

Here's a picture, you can see the white in the front area.

Thanks- Wizzy

jedimasterben

I actually can't really see the patch. :/

I also had a piece of green slimer STN on me, I didn't catch it in time. I hope yours doesn't end up the same way!

I actually can't really see the patch. :/

I also had a piece of green slimer STN on me, I didn't catch it in time. I hope yours doesn't end up the same way!

Sorry for the subpar camera photo.

But, here's another one lol- I just dipped it in Coral RX and moved it to lower light/flow (next to my Ponape Birdnest which is doing great).

I hope mine makes it. It's been my favorite coral since I got it.

I'll keep this thread updated.

fingerscrossed

Besides the possible issue that Ben pointed out .. with the lights what are you water quality parameters?

Ca, pH, s.g. etc ...

Are they all at the levels they should be?

Besides the possible issue that Ben pointed out .. with the lights what are you water quality parameters?

Ca, pH, s.g. etc ...

Are they all at the levels they should be?

I know it's a bad practice, but I don't test on a regular basis.

I'll try and do some tests soon.

Would low Calcium cause the Acro to turn white?

I don't know which parameters affect the coral.

Try super glue over te affected area, and a tiny bit past it. If that doesn't stop it, dragging the good pieces is the last chance.

Try super glue over te affected area, and a tiny bit past it. If that doesn't stop it, dragging the good pieces is the last chance.

I fragged a small piece off.

It is just a little white at the very tip.

Thanks Albert :happy:

So, I don't think the Acro liked the Coral RX and/or the movement, because the STN has spread quite a bit.

Should I frag it? What can I do at this point?

Did you use the Coral RX to dip and for how long did you dip?

You can glue as suggested in the other message, but if it keeps spreading then making sure you have no AEFW's on the healthy parts and if not and you can frag, then that would be another option indeed but if you have those Acropora Eating Flatworms in the tank you will need to get rid of them or they will attack the frags you make.

Sounds like you may need to dip all your Acropora if you have more than one, or do repeated dips with the one you have till all those AEFW are gone

Did you use the Coral RX to dip and for how long did you dip?

You can glue as suggested in the other message, but if it keeps spreading then making sure you have no AEFW's on the healthy parts and if not and you can frag, then that would be another option indeed but if you have those Acropora Eating Flatworms in the tank you will need to get rid of them or they will attack the frags you make.

Sounds like you may need to dip all your Acropora if you have more than one, or do repeated dips with the one you have till all those AEFW are gone

I used Coral RX and I dipped for a couple minutes. I think my dose was too strong though.

I didn't think I had AEFW, but how do I tell?

The only SPS I have is a Birdsnest and an the Acro.

The frag actually looks a lot better than the main colony.

It is mostly healthy looking, but has a little bit of white at the tip.

I used Coral RX and I dipped for a couple minutes. I think my dose was too strong though.

I didn't think I had AEFW, but how do I tell?

The only SPS I have is a Birdsnest and an the Acro.

The frag actually looks a lot better than the main colony.

It is mostly healthy looking, but has a little bit of white at the tip.

Here is a link to an article on AEFW

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-09/mc/index.php

Hope this helps

Here is a link to an article on AEFW

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-09/mc/index.php

Hope this helps

Thanks, and here's another update.

So the small frag has colored up again and I don't think there is any white on it.

The main frag is doing just ok, but I won't be surprised if it doesn't make it (still discolored/polyp extension is so so).

I just hope some part of the coral survives.

My plan right now is to leave it alone.

Thanks, and here's another update.

So the small frag has colored up again and I don't think there is any white on it.

The main frag is doing just ok, but I won't be surprised if it doesn't make it (still discolored/polyp extension is so so).

I just hope some part of the coral survives.

My plan right now is to leave it alone.

Do you see any tissue necrosis or just bleaching ?

Do you see any tissue necrosis or just bleaching ?

I am not totally sure of the difference.

But here's my assessment-

At this point, the small frag seems like it's doing OK w/no white.

The large frag is slightly brown in some areas, but is doing OK.

I don't turn my lights on until 1pm, but I will try and remember to look at the Slimer later today and post a better assessment and maybe some pictures.

Thanks- Wizzy :happy:

jedimasterben

I don't turn my lights on until 1pm, but I will try and remember to look at the Slimer later today and post a better assessment and maybe some pictures.

The slight brown could be algae - if so, take a turkey baster and blow it off, otherwise the tissue will not be able to regrow and could possibly continue receding. That is currently happening to one of my acros. :angry:

Thanks and yes pictures would help and on the bit of brown Ben suggested what to do

I didn;t see any RTN or STN in your pictures from before the dip. If you meant that the tip were lighter in color than the rest of the coral that does not indicate necrosis. IMO your coral is probably reacting to light, either too much or too little.

You said your light comes on at 1pm, what is your photo period?

This is a picture of RTN

http://media.photobucket.com/image/rapid%2...wn/IMG_3986.jpg

This is a picture of STN

http://media.photobucket.com/image/slow%20...CX/IMG_3637.jpg

In RTN, by the time you made your 2nd or 3rd post here, a small frag like yours would have already completely turned white.

In STN, the white parts 'usually' creep up from the base of the coral upwards. STN can usually be stopped by fragging or super gluing the effected parts.

I didn;t see any RTN or STN in your pictures from before the dip. If you meant that the tip were lighter in color than the rest of the coral that does not indicate necrosis. IMO your coral is probably reacting to light, either too much or too little.

You said your light comes on at 1pm, what is your photo period?

This is a picture of RTN

http://media.photobucket.com/image/rapid%2...wn/IMG_3986.jpg

This is a picture of STN

http://media.photobucket.com/image/slow%20...CX/IMG_3637.jpg

In RTN, by the time you made your 2nd or 3rd post here, a small frag like yours would have already completely turned white.

In STN, the white parts 'usually' creep up from the base of the coral upwards. STN can usually be stopped by fragging or super gluing the effected parts.

Thanks Metrokat :happy:

I think that my SPS was just reacting to too much light, because the white isn't there anymore.

The only thing that isn't good is my polyp extension. I think it still may be too much light (I need to mount my LED's higher).

My photoperiod is 1pm to 9pm everyday.

Archived